PDA

View Full Version : So Who Owns The Oldest Boat?

Poodroo
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I was just curious as to how many boats out there could come close to being vintage. So who out there has an oldie but a goodie? Some pics would be nice if you have one. I remember a mate of mine had this old home build wooden boat which was a work of art and handed down 3 generations. He named it "Woodie."::)I do own a new boat now but still have #2 which is a 1970's vintage Quintrex tinnie which hopefully will find a new owner soon. Let's see which Ausfisher actually has the oldest boat. Here's a pic of my old girl.
http://www.ourfishingphotos.com/data/media/17/PC290003.JPG

Cheers,

Poodroo

P.S. Perhaps Ausfish can donate a pair of Ausfish stickers to the winner? ;)
Those Ausfish stickers stick to anything. Perhaps they could help hold the old girl together. ::)

Horse
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Our 17' Oceaneer is a 70's model. Seems to do the same sort of stuff as the current crop of boats

disorderly
08-01-2008, 07:00 PM
I might be in the running here.
My old crab boat is a riveted De havilland 4.3m and was constructed in 1962.

aido
08-01-2008, 07:33 PM
the old bandit is still going strong
number 38 out of the seafarer factory.
officially it's a vedette built in 1969.
http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/bandit.jpg

BaitThrower
08-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Great condition for its age. Looks almost new!

Chimo
08-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Its a Seafarer.......................

Cheers
Chimo

Vitamin Sea
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
1979 HH 19C

Getting on now, but still does the job

Cheers

crossy
08-01-2008, 07:58 PM
1980's model Quintrex sportsman. i guess thats me out.lol

darkside
08-01-2008, 07:59 PM
aido , that is outstanding , nice looking boat in top nic , someone has done a sensational job looking after it .

finga
08-01-2008, 08:33 PM
aido , that is outstanding , nice looking boat in top nic , someone has done a sensational job looking after it .
Yes it is a beauty all right. Very nice.
My oldest one is just a pup. A 3.75m Stebercraft Beaver from 1970.
I have the original windscreen and steering setup under the house.
I've been looking for a motor of similar age to set it all up as per the day when it was new but I can't find one. Bugger :'(
The trailer is also original and from 1970.

Now who can beat my old outboard???
A 1961 Royal Scott...43.7hp of pure anchor. ::)

Cheers Scott (any hints on why I got it??Anybody??)

disorderly
08-01-2008, 08:41 PM

Very nice indeed!!
Brings back some great memories.
I spent quite a bit of time in one of these in the '70's as a kid fishing with my dad.
bloody good fishing boat for their time too,I reckon.

Scott

and finga i was sure you would pull a rabbit out of the hat and find an older boat then minehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif but no dicehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

capt
08-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Our 17' Oceaneer is a 70's model. Seems to do the same sort of stuff as the current crop of boats

there is still a couple getting around down our way........ great self draining boats

I have a 1978 De Havilland " Sea Fury" #046, one of the few glass boats they made. They made these 16 footers too solid to compete with other glass boats at the time . They went back to tin !
Great outside boat, in top condition, and FOR SALE !

Cheers Jimmy

poundalead
08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey Aido thats an awesome looking rig do you get offshore in her? I reckon it would handle a sea as well as any boat today. By the way I love the placcy chair behind the young fella nice touch :)

Poodroo
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I might be in the running here.
My old crab boat is a riveted De havilland 4.3m and was constructed in 1962.

Riveted? Classic boat mate. You really need to share a photo of that one I think. ;)

aido that boat is a real credit to you. I agree with what everyone else has said that it is indeed an immaculate boat. Has been well looked after. Not the oldest but it would win a prize on presentation alone. Is that the Cleveland ramp you were launching from?

Cheers,

Poodroo

aido
08-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Aido thats an awesome looking rig do you get offshore in her? I reckon it would handle a sea as well as any boat today. By the way I love the placcy chair behind the young fella nice touch :)

the old girl gets out a bit, but unless the weather is looking good she stays
in the bay. i don't get any pleasure smashing things up, lol.
my previous boat was a southwind sf20, great boat, but the vedette i think
handles better.

petelaska
09-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I have a 60,s era pop riveted tinnie
The plaque on the seat says
Speed Topper
manufactured by
Aluminium Boat Company of Australia
serial No ST333/60
I've had to replace a few rivets over the years to stop a few leaks.

Flattie Assassin
09-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Yes it is a beauty all right. Very nice.
My oldest one is just a pup. A 3.75m Stebercraft Beaver from 1970.
I have the original windscreen and steering setup under the house.
I've been looking for a motor of similar age to set it all up as per the day when it was new but I can't find one. Bugger :'(
The trailer is also original and from 1970.

Now who can beat my old outboard???
A 1961 Royal Scott...43.7hp of pure anchor. ::)

Cheers Scott (any hints on why I got it??Anybody??)

That boats in top class nic too, for a 38 yr old.. Very nice.

FA

BigE
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe some of the wiser guys can help , I think the old girl is early 70s vintage but i'm not sure. all i know is it was called a bell boy halfcab. look like something from the pride stable. Damn good hull rides soft and stable a rest. the 60 f/s yammie has made it a dream to run as well. Any old timers seen one before or know who built them?
still catches fish too!!

Regards
BigE

Damned67
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
This one handles like a boat........
And is one of the reasons I don't own a boat...
So, does it count?

;D

BrewGuru
09-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Woo Hoo! I reckon I have this One WON!!
Norman Wright built 1949 launched Cairns 1949 Now moored at the Moreton Bay Boat Club

BrewGuru
09-01-2008, 07:14 PM
The Earlier pics when it was getting rengined in 1973 and as she looks today.
This is also a B4 and after shot the black and white was taken about 1962

BrewGuru
09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey! She turns 60 in October 2009! You are all invited to the Party....I'll start getting her ready!

tunaticer
09-01-2008, 07:28 PM
BigE, Your Bellboy boat is from South Australia and a very heavy and well constructed boat they were. My father had one for about ten yrs going back in the 70's and it was an old boat then. My guess his (looks identical to yours) was about 20 yrs old at that stage so if yours is the same vintage it would be around 40-50 yrs old.

Jack.

Poodroo
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey! She turns 60 in October 2009! You are all invited to the Party....I'll start getting her ready!

Careful mate. I have been to a few M&G's and have seen enough Ausfish members turn up to these things. We may end up sinking your classic old boat on it's 60th birthday. ::)

Thanks to all those who have contributed with photos. I am finding this as interesting as I originally thought it would be. Some of those old boats are just sheer poetry on the water. Well done to you guys who are keeping them seaworthy and in such great condition. Keep the posts coming. ;)

Cheers,

Poodroo

3rd degree
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Brew Guru,

thats a beautiful boat you've got there!

I used to work on a 70ft Norman Right and Sons, it was very well constructed and a pleasure to be aboard in nearly any conditions.

Cheers

Jim

Horse
09-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Woo Hoo! I reckon I have this One WON!!
Norman Wright built 1949 launched Cairns 1949 Now moored at the Moreton Bay Boat Club

Our last big boat was a 1948 35' motor sailer "Tama Hoi"
I love the old girls:-*
We have a flash new one now built in the 60's;)

BrewGuru
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
3rd Degree, I am a big fan of the old timber classics, Sharpie, Wal Shirts, Milkraft,Crowley and of Course all the Norman Wrights. The only 70 foot Wright Boats in Brisbane that I am aware of is the "South Pacific II" owned by Ron Jenyns, this is a beautiful old girl (probably the inspiration of me purchasing "Waiben") She does fishing charters around Moreton Bay then heads up North for the Marlin season in July.The Other is the sister ship to SPII is the Bali Hai which has been fitted out as a corporate entertainer. Both boats are for sale on boatpoint.com.au. What was the name of the vessel you worked on?

aussie9
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Guys

Recently purchased 1977 Savage "Pacific" 17' 1/2 Cabin.
It still has the original 1976 115hp Johnson.

We are still in the process of cleaning & fitting out.

Had the motor to the mechanics this week to replace a faulty power-pack and he says its a very sweet motor with close to new compression. Probably been done up a few times as it looks pretty rough from the outside but very clean and tidy under the cover.

Bit of a daggy canopy that will be re-designed in time but its great sitting in the shade or being dry while fishing in the rain.
The kids and grandkids love staying out and sleeping in the boat overnight.

I think a name very typical of the 70's as well........................

Cheers

BigE
10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
tunaticer
thanks for your reply if your Dad can remember anthing about them i would be interested in gathering that info. your right about it been a solid rig during the refit everthing seemed to twice as big as it needed to be.

Thanks
BigE

AussieBrad
11-01-2008, 11:28 AM

Gentleman's timber launch built by Watts and Wright 1938.

(I should mention that im close to buying this boat but dont own it yet.)

I have a fetish for old baycruisers etc. :o

http://209.51.145.59/ad_img/2/3/0/6/6/0_3.jpg

BrewGuru
11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
A man after my own heart!! looks like a River/Bay cruiser/Ferry
They got style!!!

AussieBrad
11-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeh I love em. Much better then a fast metal boat (IMO dont shoot haha)

If any Ausfish members have ever seen the old MV Toorbul permanently moored in the Pumicestone Passage near Military Jetty at Caloundra, im proud to say that my GF's father owns it and i give it plenty of use for fishing and beer tastings :)

Local_Guy
11-01-2008, 01:45 PM
i think we need to call the guys from Pimp My Ride to do a Pimp My Boat on some of these old things... all i can say is those old boats have really been looked after, but i would still love to see them pimped up :)

AussieBrad
11-01-2008, 01:47 PM
What are you hoping for, shiny rims on the portholes that keep spinning?

Nofishtoobig
11-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Not the oldest but looks a treat will be even better when the alloy hard top is fitted, cruise craft ranger not sure of built year i'm guessing mid to late 70's.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/Nofishtoobig/3f0ad265.jpg

poundalead
11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey NFTB, That's another fine example. The alloy hardtop would complete that boat make sure you put the pics up when its done!

Cheers Benny

dogsbody
11-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Big E, My dad used to have a bell boy way back when. Thats where my fishing passion started.

Check this link http://www.fiberglassics.com/bellboy.htm don't know if it's the same company or not.

Dave.

Poodroo
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM

I was just thinking that we have time to plan a special event in memory of your classic and beautiful old girl. For her 60th we should all meet up and have a few boats sailing next to her to mark the special occasion (sort of like a guard of honour). :) We could capture it all on video, post clips on Ausfish and make a big deal of it and turn it into a M&G with a bit of a difference. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

BrewGuru
12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
awe geeze she would love that!

I'll be on our little shindig on Feb 10, the old girl will be on display then, I hope to meet a few of you guys then

pickers
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I have an early 80's Quintrex breezabout with a fibreglass dash and the motor is of the same age....1982 and both still going strong...not a crack or leak in the al hull at all which I'm very happy about for a rig thats 25yr old...she had a respray a few years back and looks good for her age.
pickers

Poodroo
12-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I have an early 80's Quintrex breezabout with a fibreglass dash and the motor is of the same age....1982 and both still going strong...not a crack or leak in the al hull at all which I'm very happy about for a rig thats 25yr old...she had a respray a few years back and looks good for her age.
pickers

Good stuff pickers. Care to share a photo with us?

Poodroo

Poodroo
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
awe geeze she would love that!

I'll be on our little shindig on Feb 10, the old girl will be on display then, I hope to meet a few of you guys then

I will be there as well so I look forward to meeting you and your fine vessel then.

Poodroo