PDA

View Full Version : minn kota foot pedal dramas

Roo
08-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm onto my second new circuit board for the foot pedal of my rt55ap kota. bloody stops working randomly, seems to not like inox squirted anywhere near it(stops turning left or right for a few hours) even tho it is a sealed board. i pulled it apart to see if it was still sealed then for some strange reason it will short the contacts and burn off a bit of the plastic seal(inside the sealed unit) but miraculously start to work again so long as you keep it bone dry......won't work in the mornings due to moisture in the air and lower temps but let it sit in the sun for half an hour and away we go (last trip it rained a lot so it failed to work mostly) all the while the on/off and speed control functions work perfectly. the whole unit is a bit old now but the board in the foot pedal was new in march 07 and has been intermittently broken ever since, just when you've given up on it......the bloody thing will work again. the last day on the water last week i ended up pulling the board out(again), cutting the seal over the shorted contact, cleaning all the burnt crap off it and taping it back on. the bugger worked faultlessly for another hour or so and then the rain sent it hay wire again. I'm in two minds as to whether or not i should get a new board (No.3 for $115) or price a complete foot pedal ($$$$??) or perhaps it may be something within the motor body/head itself? maybe i should box up the lot and see if BLA can fix her up like new(ish).

Roo(ted kota)

the gecko
08-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I dont muck around with mine, it went straight over the side while under way on the river! That will teach me to leave the foot pedal balancing on the gunnel in the dark. Bugger.

I ordered a new one from usa for about au$100 delivered in 14 days.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150188728430&rd=1
Let me know if the link doesnt work.

I also got a copilot remote from BCF for $400 to keep me going while I waited for the pedal. That was a bit expensive, but I was desperate for a fish that day.

Both fit my RT55ap.

Sounds like your seal is blown. That reminds me of an old joke that I cant repeat here, but Im sure a few of you know it.....it involves an eskimo....never mind.

good luck
Andrew

davez104
08-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Nah, it's just icecream ;)

udlman
08-01-2008, 05:49 PM
The terminals where the foot pedal plugs into the main unit will be corroded. I fixed mine by liberal spray of wd40 into the plug and then plug and unplug a few times to clean the corrosion off. I fixed mine permanently by removing the plug and hard wiring.

It is a common problem that happens to all connectors, same thing happens to deans connectors as well.

Brad.

NAGG
09-01-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm onto my second new circuit board for the foot pedal of my rt55ap kota. bloody stops working randomly, seems to not like inox squirted anywhere near it(stops turning left or right for a few hours) even tho it is a sealed board. i pulled it apart to see if it was still sealed then for some strange reason it will short the contacts and burn off a bit of the plastic seal(inside the sealed unit) but miraculously start to work again so long as you keep it bone dry......won't work in the mornings due to moisture in the air and lower temps but let it sit in the sun for half an hour and away we go (last trip it rained a lot so it failed to work mostly) all the while the on/off and speed control functions work perfectly. the whole unit is a bit old now but the board in the foot pedal was new in march 07 and has been intermittently broken ever since, just when you've given up on it......the bloody thing will work again. the last day on the water last week i ended up pulling the board out(again), cutting the seal over the shorted contact, cleaning all the burnt crap off it and taping it back on. the bugger worked faultlessly for another hour or so and then the rain sent it hay wire again. I'm in two minds as to whether or not i should get a new board (No.3 for $115) or price a complete foot pedal ($$$$??) or perhaps it may be something within the motor body/head itself? maybe i should box up the lot and see if BLA can fix her up like new(ish).

Roo(ted kota)

Hi Roo ..... I went through your frustrations during the first 6 months of buying my 74lber
Dont automatically think that it is a foot pedal problem! ..... I've had 2 maximisers replaced in the head unit after having intermittent problems turning the leccy ! ... The first time it was more sinister with the controls going haywire!
Second was more how you describe your issues!
Both times we tried a new foot pedal & the same problems ( after cleaning contacts etc) .... i've also had a replacement pedal::)
These days if I start to have an issue ( I submerge the foot pedal in warm soapy water & give it a good jiggle around ...... This was the procedure recommended by the Techo at BLA) ....... Though you shouldn't try it ... if you have damaged the seal
So that's my experiences so far (14months)
I think a new pedal is around $200
Best of luck with it Roo
Nagg

birko
09-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Roo
Had a similar problem with my 54lb water snake up at teemburra on the weekend. The difference being it would go but wouldnt stop. I pulled the foot control apart while I was up there and the internal micro switch for the main go pedal would stick on and not release and hence it was on all the time. Probably could have gone to dick smiths and bought another micro switch and replaced it but since I only bought it August last year it should be under warranty so I hae taken it back to place of purchase yesterday and am waiting to hear if they are going to fix or replace. Apart from this incident it has gone well for me.
Cheers
Birko

Roo
09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Cheers Fellas, I'll have to look into it as the Gynocologist said to the...
I'll Dick about with it a bit and see if i can get any more joy out of it otherwise it may end up becoming a tiller steer for a dedicated electric boat. I'll keep you posted with how i go.
Cheers Roo

Awoonga
09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Mate Top units Minnkota and Motorguide.. Both as good as each other l say...Never known anyone with any problems like you have had...in fact you must be mistaken...those units just dont play up....Both units are made by virgins in Peru....But l did hear a whisper that they are running out of virgins and they might have to start making the units offshore....We could be in for some problems then....Pm sent

Roo
09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
:thumbsup: roger that! I'd better send then some Virgins!!:lipsrsealed: :happy: