PDA

View Full Version : Where to find ACCURATE motor weights

davez104
08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering where people get thier motor weights from and how accurate they have found them. The reason I ask is that I bought my tinnie (395 Bermuda Discovery barra punt) a few years ago with a 50HP Yammie 2s on it. The Yammie was a manual start, manual tilt model to keep the weight down as the Discovery's aren't a real big boat. I liked the thought of a four stroke, but was concerned about the weight, so I checked the Yammie website and the closest I could find was a weight of 86kg from memory. The 98 model 40 Honda I ended up buying has a plate on it that says weight 88kg, so I figured it would make bugger all difference to the balance of the boat (first wrong assumption) as it is a lot heavier in the back now. I would like to find out some accurate weights as I may consider going back to a 50 2st again.

My second wrong assumption was that I wouldn't miss 10 horses, performance isn't even close now, still allright though.

Thanks.
Dave.

KAGEY1
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Most Weights Quoted Are Dry Weights. E.g For 4st It Would Not Include Sump And Gear Oils. This Will Add A Bit To The Overall Weight.
Most Brochures From The M/facturers Have The Weights In Them, For Both Long And Short Shaft Models.
Hope This Helps,
Cheers, Geoff

davez104
08-01-2008, 04:22 PM
So would dry weight include things like electric start, power trim and tilt? The Honda has both of these and I thought that might be why the weight difference, maybe they are not included in the 88kg.

Dave.

honda900
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
davez104,

You need to visit the web sites and look at the specifications, the yammi 2- weight is quoted with prop at 88kgs.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/marine/index.htm?range.asp?therange=m2s

The honda weight is 96.5kg for the tiller according to the following link.

http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail.aspx?modelGroup=BF40

Hope this helps.

Regards
HOnda

KAGEY1
08-01-2008, 04:59 PM
davez, if these items are options only, not standard equipment, they would not be included. if the motor only comes this way, one would think it was in the weight specified.
Geoff

davez104
08-01-2008, 05:01 PM
That sounds about right for the yammie, I never checked the Honda website before I bought it as it has the plate on it that said 88 kgs, looks like it might be 10+ kg's heavier than the yammie