PDA

View Full Version : Gettin'there

Jackinthebox
08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
G'day Ausfishers,

well it's been a long time between fishing trips for me, 6 months in fact.
This lack of piscatorial activity can be attributed to a few thing such as changing careers, buying a house & moving, building/assembling things for the new house, looking after my part time business, spending heaps of time upgrading my 385 explorer for a mate & then selling it to him and then if i had any spare time, building the new beast. A 4.7mtr Stacer Seahorse with 50hp 4 stroke tiller merc.

Currently wiring up the new baby with a few pics to show you guys as we all love looking inside other people's boats as they are getting built.

Got a few toys i can't wait to try out such as the big livey tank in the forward casting platform, the super bright led nav & stern lights, the downrigger (welded special plates to the rails to mount this sucker), the ripper stainless rod holders with gimbal mount that were only about $35 each, the new Raymarine DS500x colour sounder(not mounted yet), and the new mount for the Garmin 72 gps.

If you look closely at the GPS mount, you will see that i have "modified" the lowrance RAM bracket and the Garmin GPS72 mount to create an unholy marriage between the two that allows me to mount the gps on the side of the gunnel and swivel it wherever i want. Works very well and solid as a rock. I will prob do the same thing with the sounder.

All three companies put little knobs, diff holes & things on their mounts but this is easily fixed with a drill, die grinder & a few well placed stainless bolts.;D

Will post up a few more when i get the chance. The boat's name will be "Shutup & Fish!"

PS - Before some of you say anything ....yeah, yeah, the driver's position is on the wrong side, etc, etc but i'm right handed & have always driven tiller steer that way.::)

Cheers,
Mick.

Jackinthebox
08-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Pictures might help ......

frankgrimes
08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Looking very nice indeed mate!

Where abouts did you get the stainless rod holders?

rodnreal
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Well done Jackinthebox, starting to look very good and I like that mount setup.
Great Name, dont worry about the driving position its your boat you do what you want.

Ciao

bluefin59
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Certainly looks the goods mate you have obviously put a lot of thought into it ,it all looks so tidy love the bait tank ....matt

GAD
08-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Looks good bloke ,

crossy
08-01-2008, 08:21 PM
yay another righty.

Jackinthebox
09-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys,

there is a clean floor somewhere under all that mess!

Frank - got the rod holders from satisfaction mar1ne here at Labrador on the Goldy, they ordered them in for me as they were sold out. There were plenty of gold ones still on the shelf if you like bling & want to have a "gangsta rappa's" boat. You just need some gold teeth, a white suit & some sk@nks cavorting about the boat & you'll really look the part! ;D
Obviously most fishos are pretty sensible & understated and took the stainless ones. The other rod holders there were crap.

Rodnreal - yeah mate, i wanted to set it up so it suited me. When i eventually sell it, someone like Crossy's gonna love it!

And after much debate, "Shutup & fish!" narrowly beat out the contender "Kwitchabichen". You know...... "sorry luv, this boat hasn't got a toilet, or airconditioning, or a bar, or a bedroom, etc, etc ........ so just Kwitchabichen! ;D

More pics to come.

Jackinthebox
17-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Dredged up this old thread for Grimey, who wanted to see some finished pics of my new rig.

I am pleased to report that it is pretty much done except for finishing the fuel line for the underfloor fuel tank.

Also, it appears to be a lucky boat with the last two trips resulting in Jacks, Jewies, and plenty of armstretching fun on Mack tunas in the Seaway when the 2nd offshore trip had to be aborted due to unpleasant conditions.

Still have to order the stickers off Steve for the name and give her a proper christening with a stubby of Dark & Stormy!

Here ya go Grimey.

Cheers,
Mick.

Jackinthebox
17-04-2008, 09:57 AM
A few more pics.

The fusebox above is a Blue Sea 6 item jobby and has a busbar type arrangement which lets you just run one main power & earth wire. It is pretty good quality & is mounted up under my side decks near the sounder.

Other goodies I am happy about are the welded on home made berley pot and the bastardised Dory ally splashwell which is bloody strong & supports itself for when I convert the boat into a centre console later on. Also the led nav lights are great, they are sooooo bright!!

The splashwell has already proven to be worth it during the second run in the seaway with a bit of water slopping over the back because of the big four stroke & the wonderful weather conditions.

Now it's time to get some real fish on the deck & blood on the carpet!

Cheers,
Mick.

frankgrimes
17-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Came up a treat mate! Awesome work.....I'm def. inspired to do some work on mine now!

Mick

whiting-wizard
17-04-2008, 01:36 PM
great job mate congrats on your work