PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Quintrex 450/480 Hornet Trophy

Bubba Gump
08-01-2008, 06:19 AM
I am thinking of purchasing the above boat and was looking for some friendly advice from anyone who owns one. I am looking for a boat to use primarily on Tweed coast, although we will look to take it on the occasional trip up north. Five in the family, but will be used by my two sons and myself for the majority of the time. Any advice on the pro's and con's of this boat or suitable alternative would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Kleyny
08-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Ive got a 06 460dory and couldn't be happier with the build quality.
I'm slowly building mine to similar to the hornet.
mine can take the amount of people you have quoted comfortably

good luck with your purchase

neil

Local_Guy
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
i bought one of the following fully decked out for $17,400.

http://www.cunninghamsmarine.com.au/brooker_460freedom.shtml

Took it for it's maiden on sunday and it's a top little boat that is very stable in choppy conditions and when sitting still.

gofishin
08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi BG,

The current F&B mag has a detailed write-up on the 450 with the new 60 4/ merc, & they both get a pretty good wrap.

I’ve used all three of the ‘pod’ hornets, or at least the previous models (445, 475 & 500) and they were pretty darn good. I don’t think there is anything else around that can match their ride quality whilst maintaining the level of stability, especially up front, that these things attain. Take a look at the lines of their stretch-formed hull ‘off the trailer’ and you’ll know what I mean.

Some earlier 445’s had a reputation for porpoising, especially with one particular size 4/ of one brand, but this was a few years ago now.

One thing is for sure, do not under power these else you won’t get the full benefit of their great performance in choppy conditions, however excess weight on the transom with big batteries and big blokes can negate extra hp. Good trim is very important. Remember too what they were designed for – sport fishing in lakes & protected waterways. Their low sides don’t offer that much protection in open waterways with young ones aboard.

For you & the two boys, the 450 would be great. With the boss & her understudy aboard, the 480 would be ideal as it is quite a bit bigger than just the extra foot in the name. As in all boating, it’ll be a compromise:-/ .
cheers

Bubba Gump
09-01-2008, 07:04 AM
With the boss & her understudy aboard

Cheers gofishin,

I have never met you and it seems you know me so well!;D

Those Hornets do look great. The main reason I was interested in one was because I love fly fishing and the casting decks of the Hornets look ideal for all casting applications. I saw you mention big guys on this boat, I am 200cm & 120kgs would this boat not handle me (my boys are only 10 & 7, not to big yet!)?

That Brooker centre console also looks great as well (excellent value for money), but I think I would prefer the casting deck at the front. While looking at the Brooker I had a browse of the Xtreme Tournament Classic boats, a bit more expensive than the others but very nice!

Thanks for the advice.

gofishin
09-01-2008, 01:46 PM
...it seems you know me so well!;D

Bubba Gump, I know you coz I saw the movie about your brother Forest….;D ::)

Geeze, you are a big bloke. The Wallabies could do with you in their lineout.;D

Seriously now, your size won’t be a problem, but depending on the boat + motor (any boat) you choose, you will just have to be mindful of the loading (trim) when all 5 of you are aboard. It also depends on what style of fishing/boating you plan to do??? With the hornet you have front & rear livewells (~80 – 100kg total), maybe 2 batteries if you have a lecky etc, and with a lot of storage and floorspace you end up taking more ‘stuff’, so it can all add up. Motor decision will be important (power and weight).

Best thing you can do is arrange a test in a rig as close as possible to what you want, then go from there.

Kleyny
09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Cheers gofishin,

I have never met you and it seems you know me so well!;D

Those Hornets do look great. The main reason I was interested in one was because I love fly fishing and the casting decks of the Hornets look ideal for all casting applications. I saw you mention big guys on this boat, I am 200cm & 120kgs would this boat not handle me (my boys are only 10 & 7, not to big yet!)?

That Brooker centre console also looks great as well (excellent value for money), but I think I would prefer the casting deck at the front. While looking at the Brooker I had a browse of the Xtreme Tournament Classic boats, a bit more expensive than the others but very nice!

Thanks for the advice.

i loaded my dory with more weight than i should have (well over what it states:-X )bringing home friends from a wet camping trip and my boat motor combo took it surprisingly well (460dory with a 60hp merc)
also whilst lure fishing it has been known for two 80kg 180cm blokes to have their toes over the edge on the bow with it not even looking like its becoming unstable
so what you are considering i cant see it being a drama.

neil

davez104
09-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Bit hard to compare a dory with a hornet, they are totaly different hulls. Having said that though, the hornet should have even more stability than the dory, so if you can stand a couple blokes up the front of the dory it should be no dramas in the hornet.

Kleyny
09-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Bit hard to compare a dory with a hornet, they are totaly different hulls. Having said that though, the hornet should have even more stability than the dory, so if you can stand a couple blokes up the front of the dory it should be no dramas in the hornet.

thanks i wasn't sure if it was a similar hull. Is it a v-nose setup?
two blokes and 50lt of fuel tucked under the deck.
it surprised me the first time i got excited and followed my brother up the from chasing the chopped up water.;D

neil

Jackinthebox
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Used to build the Hornets when i welded for Quinnie, they are a solid boat, built like a barge.

You could stick two big blokes right on the nose, couldn't roll 'em in the test tank if you tried. Many times more stable than a Dory.

Cheers,
Mick.

bassfanatic5
09-01-2008, 05:31 PM
BG i have had 2 dory style boats and 2 hornets and the hornets are in my opinion much more stable with the younger boys on board. They will always rush to your side to look at that fish you are pulling in and the hornet will not tilt like the dory will. If money aint a worry go the 480 because you have a bigger boat straight up. If you get the 450 it won't be long and the boy's will be of a size that you'll wish you got the bigger one. Regardless of the size go max hp as the hornets will perform great.

NAGG
09-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Bubba ..... The one bit of gold I can offer is ...... BUY A 480!!!
I went through the same process 14 months ago (445 Vs 480) .... I was going a 445 till the dealer I was at had a 445 & 480 side by side & while there seems to be very little difference on paper ............ The reality was that the floor area was significantly bigger ... & it looked it!!! ( I did have a elevated photo of both ... in the same shot that highlighted the difference:P I tried to find it for you .. but I must have deleted it:( ) go 480

Nagg

NAGG
09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Note : 450 & 480 Hornets are for 4 Adults ...... the 500 is meant for 5 ...
Nagg

PS .... Power a 450 with a 60 (4 stroke) or or 70 ( 2 stroke)
The 480 ... Go an 80 ...... I'm running a 60 Yammi ( 4stroke) on my 480 & its great for 2 ( with all the gear & 90kgs of 24 volt Leccy batteries & charger) ..... However it is undergunned for 3 adults !!!!!!!!

Bubba Gump
09-01-2008, 09:48 PM
The 480 or the 500 seem the better way to go. I don't want to be upgarading in a few years due to the fact my boys are now to big!!!!!!

NAGG
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
The 480 or the 500 seem the better way to go. I don't want to be upgarading in a few years due to the fact my boys are now to big!!!!!!

Hi Bubba ..... Yep 500 if you need the plate capacity of 5 adults
The 500 can also run a 100HP from memory
Great boats ( stable , great ride .. good layout!) ..... though a little wet from side spay in windy conditions
Nagg

Bubba Gump
11-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey NAGG,

Thanks for all the info on the boats. Browsed through you previous posts and saw your boat and I am sold even more. Some great ideas that I may pinch if I get one, only if you don't mind!

Thanks again.

ethan1
11-01-2008, 07:25 AM
i also own 4.75 hornet. bought it brand new 3 yrs ago, cant fault it. Very stable, i often fish 3 out of it. Can sneak across real shallow water. Use lures 99%, run 70 pd minni-kota, its perfect for calm water fishing. Pushes through chop no worries, bow slaps down hard in bigger swell, but was not designed for that sort of work. would never sell it.
Hope this helps.
Ethan

NAGG
11-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey NAGG,

Thanks for all the info on the boats. Browsed through you previous posts and saw your boat and I am sold even more. Some great ideas that I may pinch if I get one, only if you don't mind!

Thanks again.

Not a worry .... If I can help .. I will

Nagg