PDA

View Full Version : Next Marine Radio Course/Test Sat 1st March

subzero
07-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi all, I had hoped to do one a little earlier in Feb but we are just to busy at work.
The next one will be on Saturday 1st March starting at 8.30am.

If you wish to book, please reply to radio@vmr.org.au

For full information please read the attached pdf document, it will answer any questions that you may have.

Cheers Lloyd

Chris Ryan
14-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Done - see you there.

oldboot
14-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Put me down as comming.

I have to make a visit before then .

cheers

reddybayfisher
14-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Lloyd (subzero) , I sent you a PM but didn;t realise you posted this....
Is it a requirement that if you have a VHF radio you must have a 'Certificate in Proficiency'?
I am keen to do the course - shame its over 6 weeks away...

subzero
14-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks Chris and oldboot.... all done :-)

Gidday reddybayfisher, its a pretty contentious issue that no one to date has successfully clarified as to the legality's of having a vhf radio on the boat IF IT IS NOT USED AND NOT TURNED ON.

Certainly legally it is a requirement if it is to be used but having said that their are other laws that would counteract any laws written on behalf of the Australian Communications and Media Authority and the International Telecommunications Association.

Your responsibilities as a Mariner would far outweigh these laws if using the radio was going to assist in any pressing safety or rescue situation or to stop a situation from turning in to a full blown rescue situation.

Having said that, if using the radio was going to intensify and cause confusion or problems because of the operators lack of knowledge then the Master could be held liable for the consequences arising from the use of that radio.

Best example I can come up with is if you are driving your car down the road and you see a trucks hand break fail and it rolls on to someones foot you can move the truck off the foot even if you don't have a truck license.
However if you exceeded your skill level and were to back up over him and squash his other foot then you would more than likely get in strife as your actions didn't help improve matters but have made them worse. Your actions were not prudent.

TO DATE, I have NEVER heard of someone operating a radio without a license that has been prosecuted for not having that license/certificate that has used it sensibly.
It is a question I often raised with new Water Police Officers myself when I was on Rosters and I never had one of them say that they would prosecute if someone was to call for assistance and used good common sense and didn't make matters worse.

As a PERSONAL opinion I really couldn't care less if people sat for their certificates or not. My own objective/goal at the end of the day is that people walk away knowing how, what, where and when to use their radios.

Because most people pay a fee to the O.M.C through me to sit their license/certificate then my other goal is to do the best I can to make sure that no one wastes their money and that everyone passes.

Having said that I do recommend that people sit their licenses/certificates as for all I know enforcement could begin tomorrow, next month or in 5 years time and I don't want anyone coming back at me if they cop a fine for not meeting their legal requirements?

As for it being over 6 weeks away it is the earliest I can do one as unfortunately I still have to work for a living and do this purely in a voluntary capacity. (All funds above actual costs go to VMR Victoria Point). I also run these courses for other groups from time to time for Vicky Point, see below.

If the above date does not suit you I will be running one on behalf of and at the Morton Bay Trailer Boat Club on Sunday 17th of February. If you contact them you MAY be able to attend. Start times, fees etc WILL DIFFER so please check their details thoroughly! Here is the link to the page with the course details on
http://www.mbtbc.com/radioroom.php

Hope t6hat covers your questions.

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
14-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry Brendan, forgot to ask.... if you do decide to sit the course and do wish to sit the test, can you let me know which of the two tests you wish to sit as I will have to order in the test papers later on from the Office of Maritime Communications.

If you haven't spotted it their is a pdf doc at the top with the full course details etc at the top on my first post.
As I have replied to you here I wont reply to the pm you sent me to save myself time as I am a really slow 1 fingered typist :-)

Cheers Lloyd

reddybayfisher
15-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Thanks Lloyd for your responses - I have sent you an email (radio@vmr.org.au) about my details...

Splash
17-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Llyod.

I want to do a marine VHF radi course to obtain my VHF marine license.

I live in Gove, Arhnem Land NT.

How best can I achieve my goal?

Splash

subzero
18-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Gidday Splash, their is no requirement to sit through a course, it just makes it easier to pass and fills in the missing gaps.

If you are able to study by yourself (Or with a mate) when you feel you are ready you can contact a local Invigilator to sit your test. (An Invigilator is just a person authorized by the Office of Maritime Communications to order in test papers, oversee candidates during the exam and return the completed test papers).

You can download the handbook that the questions are drawn from online at
http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/handbook/mrohb.2007.v3.pdf

If I am correct, you are pretty close to NHULUNBUY.
There are a couple of people (Appear to be husband and wife from their surname), that can look after you up your neck of the woods, their details are below.

Cecily Ann PINFOLD
PH: 08 8939 1805
Gove Yacht Club
PO Box 1596
NHULUNBUY NT 0881

Gordon William PINFOLD
PO Box 1636
NHULUNBUY NT 0881

If you contact them they will be able to arrange a time and place for you to sit your exam.

If you wish to search for other Invigilators that may be closer in the NT you can do so by going to
http://www.amcom.amc.edu.au/invigilators/

The cost should not be too much as Invigilators are only Volunteers and can not charge for their services. They are allowed to charge for any expenses and an organization can charge an administration fee. When I have people come around home to sit the test only I charge JUST the $48-20 the O.M.C charges. If people choose to leave a donation for VMR Victoria Point I pass that on. If they leave me a carton of Carlton Mid..... well say no more ;D

Hope this answers your questions?

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
18-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi all, just a quick note to let you all know that this course is almost full already so if you want to join in you had better put your name down now.
I have 16 people so far and don't want any more than 20 at the most as it can get a little uncomfortable and we also tend to end up finishing later as well.

Mods, thanks for making the topic sticky :)
Can you unstick it now so it can drift off in to obscurity as I am going to get too many inquiries if it stays on the front page ;D

Cheers Lloyd

Splash
21-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Llyod.

Yes, I am in Nhulunbuy.

Can you confirm if I want to obtain a MMSI number, I must be able to show I have passed this course?

Cameron

subzero
21-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Gidday Splash, their is no requirement to sit through a course, it just makes it easier to pass and fills in the missing gaps

To get the MMSI number all you have to do is hold either a MROCP or MROVCP Certificate. A course is not mandatory. Just the test for your certification and of course scoring at least 70% or better in your multiple choice test to pass it.

AMSA will not issue your MMSI number without you holding one of these two certificates.

Cheers Lloyd

Bunter
22-01-2008, 06:30 PM
do you have to have a licence for a 27 meg radio or is just for vhf

cheers bill

subzero
22-01-2008, 10:47 PM
No just for the VHF Bill.

subzero
24-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Sorry folks. Thats it!
The course is now full. The only spaces now will be if I get some cancellations.

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
29-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Just a reminder, it is on in the morning.
Cheers Lloyd

Chris Ryan
29-02-2008, 09:51 PM
i'll be there. See you then

QF3 MROCP
29-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Folks,

Anyone wanting to do the course on the North side of town, Coast Guard Redcliffe have one going on Sunday March 2nd at the Scarborough Boat Harbour.

Just phone them on 3203 5522 and make a booking. Space are still available..

Peter

Black_Rat
29-02-2008, 10:38 PM
If you've missed this one don't make the same mistake twice !

A course that must be done !!!

Damo ;)

tenzing
01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I did the course today at Lloyds place ,(should that be Lima Lima Oscar Yankee Delta's place)
Anyhow a very informative course and very entertaining as well.
As well as the business at hand it also provides a great opportunity to meet some other boaties (including putting some faces to the names of other Ausfish members)
A big thanks again Lloyd for giving up your time and for opening your house to us.
Cheers , Brendan

PS The liitle memory tricks were really useful in the test, although I'll never think of "S & M" the same way again !

reddybayfisher
02-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Thanks also Lloyd for a great day.....thoroughly enjoyed myself and you made the whole day quite fun with your interesting stories in between the serious stuff....your wealth of knowledge and experience definitely came through throughout the day.....I highly recommend anyone to go and do a radio course - not just to get your 'certificate of proficiency' but just to be knowledgeable about how to communicate over your radio if in an emergency....hope I have passed the test....
Cheers again Lloyd for a great day....

on-one
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Lloyd, just wanted to add my thanks, excellent course thanks again

subzero
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks fellers for the positive feedback, its much appreciated.
The courier picked them up from work this arvo, now all we have to do is wait for our results..... yes they are mine too..... I hate the wait as well

Cheers Lima Lima Oscar Yankee Delta':thumbsup: ;D

P.S Gidday Damo (Manager Publicity Dept) :D ;D :2thumbsup:

Chris Ryan
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks LLoyd,

Top Effort mate and I can admit I learnt a sierra hotel india tango-load.

Cheers and thanks for the hospitality.

Chris

TheRealAndy
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I need to do the course too, when is the next one? Shame VMR Sandgate does not do them, although they are talking about it soon.

QF3 MROCP
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
RealAndy,

Redcliffe Coast Guard are running one every month. Next one is on Sunday April 13th. Give them a call on 32035522. There up at Scarborough Harbour ...

Peter