PDA

View Full Version : vhf vs 27 meg vs handheld vs permant

mamu
07-01-2008, 03:15 PM
If the title does'nt cofuse you, I will now.
I am looking to install a radio and would like some advice on wether to go hand held or permantly mounted, vhf, 27 meg, or both. Are band splitters any good as i dont have a great deal of mounting space and one arial is enough. I dont do outside fishing but I do spend time in the paddock , Cowan ledge etc so safety is a concern.
any advice will help.

thanks,
Matt.

grumpysmurf
14-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Short answer would be 27Meg permanent.

Long answer. Portables would simply not have the range for any reliable communications. Many would use portables just as a backup or tender to mothership. Plus they are more costly.

All VHF users require a license to use any VHF (even portables). Unless in an emergency. So you could not even log on / off if un-licensed. Myself personally, I will be getting a VHF installed shortly and get my licence later. The VHF will be for backup to the 27meg.

27meg permanent is ideal as 90% of small boats have them and can come to your aid even if you can't reach shore.

As for splitters, what I was told is that you cannot use them on VHF/27Mhz combination. They are only used for VHF/FM (radio broadcasts) and 27Mhz/FM.

subzero
14-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Gidday fellows, here is a little document I wrote a while back and updated late last year.
A lot of it is my opinion, a lot of it is questions asked frequently by the O.M.C in their tests, mostly it is just common sense though I think.
Have a read, see what you think.... it should make your decision a little clearer what ever that will be.

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
14-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry, as usual senility set in and I forgot to attach it. :-[

Cheers Lloyd ;D