PDA

View Full Version : The big boys are falling

daledog
07-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Well it started with Campbells in Perth, now JV Marine in Melbourne have been slayed and I've heard from a pretty reliable source (they were right about those 2!) that there is someone lined up in Brisbane about to go down... will B C F ever stop on their quest to take over every major tackle store? Whats going to happen to prices when they have control of all the major players in the industry? They arent going to go down thats for sure.

steve99
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey guys, it sounds like what Bunnings did with the hardware industry. Everyone knows what happens when a big company has a monopoly Its a bit like the pizzahut 25 years ago, a family pizza back in the early 1980,s was $18 or $19. Today,you can buy 2 for that price, only because there is a pizza place on every corner .

DR
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey guys, it sounds like what Bunnings did with the hardware industry. Everyone knows what happens when a big company has a monopoly Its a bit like the pizzahut 25 years ago, a family pizza back in the early 1980,s was $18 or $19. Today,you can buy 2 for that price, only because there is a pizza place on every corner .

25 years ago Pizza Hut pizzas were also edible ;D
better off going to an independent pizza shop, most of their pizzas will feed 3 or 4 people at pizza hut it is the reverse, 3 or 4 pizzas to feed one person....:)

Scott nthQld
07-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Hopefully it won't happen up here. My favourite local bloke has just joined forces with another ex-charter operator to combat BCF. hey are just across the way from BCF so you could say a lot of pressure is on them, but by the looks of last weekend when they had a packed out store, BCF had about 5 people in it so looks like they are doing ok so far. I tjust goes to show how much people value the local bloke and their advice compared to the pimply face kids BCF have employed.

daledog
07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
but if pizza hut has control of the pizza industry would the prices stay low? thats what im saying. If B C F has total control, which it looks like they want, are they gonna keep prices low? NO WAY! why would they, the only reason we have low prices is because people have choice. If one company comes in and rolls everyone else and has the industry to themselves, they can do what they want, charge what they want.

PinHead
07-01-2008, 05:08 PM
It is called capitalism...but..from what I have seen , BCF are no cheaper than the other tackle stores around.

steve99
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey Guys, If BCF are trying to obtain a monopoly by slowly and methodically aquiring thier opposition there is probably little we can do to stop it happening.
These days, its probably better to be price savvy rather than worrying about something we have no control over.
Shop around,dont be afraid to take up a store on its10% better price offer. I did recently and scored hiking boots for $150 down from $219 , only because I found them online for $165.
Admittadly, its a controversal topic,but buying online can save $$$$ ,and its probably the only way consumers can get a better deal.
In USA, large stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro pretty much have market share. Lets hope that doesnt happen here.

cammac
08-01-2008, 07:03 AM
They wont take over if you dont support them - bottom line!!! . stick with the personal attention you get with your local guy - sure it might cost a little more.
I found the range of gear in there pretty dissapointing anyway - felt like i was in kmart !

daledog
08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I know when it comes down to it, who ever offers the better price is the most appealing option, but when I find a cheaper price and go to my local with it, I cant remember ever being turned down. Shop around and find the cheap prices then check with your local, most times they will do the same price or maybe even a bit better. Then your getting the best of both worlds - good price and supporting your local.

kitty_cat
08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
i think the jv marine bcf relationship maybe not quite right, not 100% sure but will find out iam under the impression that jv are sourcing there own stock Over seas
i will do some research and let you know

daledog
08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I heard that BC F bought everything except the actual boats themselves.