PDA

View Full Version : Stolen gear on ebay

horseboy
06-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi all,
Just been cruising ebay and started wondering how much stolen fishing gear ends up on ebay, I see alot of second hand rods and reels with dodgy descriptions for gear they dont seem to know about(maybe someones wife getting revenge for lonley weekends). I have also noticed alot of fishfinder head units only for sale as some posts say boat was stolen but what about the others does anyone with stolen gear keep an eye on ebay for thier stuff. anyway justa thought and also has anyone bought fishfinders from american seller and if so how was the service i dont always rely on the feedback score.

Wade

larfin
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Horseboy I got some stuff from shipshopca and they were very good.
cheers
greg

mik01
06-01-2008, 10:53 PM
why bother with ebay ripoff rubbish when you can buy a sounder from site sponsor Fishon?
read others' experiences and find out who is reputable for yourself - I think you will find ebay is fraught with danger even for moderately experienced ebayers.

horseboy
06-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I posted this so i could get others experiences on this subject. ebay has its uses and was just enquiring about the fishfinders from america because some are very good deals but with only feedback score to go on i will not bid overseas.>:(

mik01
06-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I dont to come across as rude mate. i bought a universal remote on ebay but it was from interstate and was all good. but I don't trust it to buy o/s, however others do.
I bought a vhf radio from fishon, got a good price and thoroughly trusted the whole process. my question is - have you looked at fishon and others as well as ebay?
you might be able to avoid ebay altogether.

horseboy
06-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah sorry hard to tell on posts some times where is the link to fishon i am only looking for a real bargain as i already have one but would like to upgrade for thye right price.

mik01
06-01-2008, 11:34 PM
yeah - hard to tell from writing stuff late at night!
go to the 'Electronics' link above the boating forum and you cant miss the big red fishon banner ad. all I'm saying is check it out and compare prices.

also in the electronics thread there are a couple of discussions about this very thing which may help you.
good luck

horseboy
06-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Just ordered a new humingbird they are cheap as chips. Thanks bud

the gecko
07-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Bought my sounder from usa and Im v happy with price and service. Aussie dealers couldnt match it. They need to go back to usa for warranty repairs, but at half price buying, who cares?

TheSaint
07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I just got my Lowrance X510C Sounder off Ebay for $500 cheaper than the shops here! I had no worries with it as the seller sent it with US postal company & provided me with a tracking number so i knew where it was at all times.. only took 4 days to get here which is pretty good from New York. I will be buying again from them for sure.. Also I ordered Jackall lures from the Japanese Ebay seller & ended up saving $8 a lure which adds up pretty quick when you buy 30 lures & again no problems..

Essence
08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Not sure if it was this or last months BnB, but a really good article on poor rods that people buy on ebay

NOjacks
08-01-2008, 07:23 PM
ebay has been good to me ive had from screwdrivers, fishing reels to a complete set of disc brakes for an old Studebaker ive got never had any worries trick is to email them if they dont get back to you in 24hrs with a phone no adn postal address of there business i dont do business. allso look at there feed back very carefully and try use paypal

NOjacks

borisdog
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I do a fair bit of buying and selling on eBay but not for new stuff, generally second hand. I've never had a problem but I'm sure that there's always some dodgy stuff out there. If it looks too good to be true then it usually is.
That said I don't see the need to buy off eBay when you can easily buy direct from multiple shops all over the world for MAJOR savings compared to Aus.
I have a taste for high end baitcasting gear and I haven't bought a rod or reel in Aus for 3 years - All have full warranty and all were around 60% of Aus price - delivered to my door. Sounders and GPS same story. You do need to make sure that your particular desired brand has world-wide warranty - some do and some don't.
Some-one is having a major laugh at the Aussie consumers expense, as has been said here many,many times before.

reelemin1974
08-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Do reasearch on product before you buy, Find out Exact model numbers and check local shops for pricing, remember to factor in postage and be sure it is a good saving to make it worthwhile.

I bought a humminbird sounder off e-bay from USA from I think 'gadgetguy' And had no probs. Only uS models, are on;y in US units of mesurement.

Good luck

fishsmith
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Ebays a top place to shop and find a bargain..Great for reels, lures, braid etc...Use the money you save to wack some fuel in the car and boat and go fishing..Don't line the pockets of the middle man..Line your pockets instead..

Longshot
11-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I have purchased a couple of rods on ebay from pfa over the last 6-12 months or so. These people claim their rods are built on blanks similar to Sabre blanks ie f/glass and graphite.

So far, and they have had a hammering, there have been no problems. One is a dead set ringer for a 195-6 Sabre and the other very similar to a 196-7.

I have both original Sabres and can see little or no difference and the price was unreal. I would have no hesitation doing it all again. Money save is money to be spent on bait, fuel, etc etc.

mally
11-01-2008, 05:32 AM
mate,like they say u get what u pay for.

pirate2540
01-07-2008, 09:07 PM
some of the stuff on the ebay stores is just cheap crap from china, brought over here to make a quick buck. my son brought a bait runner on ebay, that did not even last 12 months b4 it fell apart. my advise is buy from some that u have least got a chance of a refund / replacement if it turns to crap.

7739IAN
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Just recieved a used Penn 8500ss from Florida - excellent nick and cost me $124 landed. Not super cheap but a great reel and now i have a back up.

TunaKing2008
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
hi, bought my gps/sounder combo from the states and saved myself well over $500 bucksd compared to the tackle stores around my area. they had the unit to my house within 5 days of payment make sure you use paypal in case you have any problems its easier to recover any lost money on the off chance your not totally happy

reidy
29-08-2008, 04:22 PM
After a few bay exp. the lesson ive learnt is if your can not look at it or put it in your hands before you purchase then good luck.Had a couple of good purchases but also had some bad.
Interesting concept the stolen goods / transducerless sounders on the bay.
Maybe very close to the truth.
Reidy

bootyou
10-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I have purchased from almost every country on the planet and the amount of times I was ripped off doesn't come anywhere near the amount of money I have saved overseas buyers are excellant and you have 45 days to lodge a dispute for a refund if somthing goes wrong but the seller must have a feedback rating of 98% or more to be entitled to the claim. I once purchased a fish finder for 120.00 and decided to keep my old one and resold the new one for 450.00 back to the states so no complaints here.

7739IAN
18-12-2008, 10:17 AM
As my post of a few months ago said - you can pick up some real bargains on Ebay - obviously though if you buy a Chinese copy of a 330 GT1 for $20 - don't expect too much. It's ok for entry level kids gear.:D