06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
just an update did 64.2nm or 115ks today offshore mooloolaba,
used 48 litres was given her a bit of stick as well. 26hours on motor now
cheers
dbl:):):)
ps ;very very happy with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Jabba_
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Not bad.. I did 90mile/144klm off shore and in the broad water, and used 57ltr...
Love my E-tec..

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I own probably the most fuel efficient old smokey 90hp ever made??, did 115km for 60-65L 2 up in full offshore fishing trim, 6.2m tinny.

What is flat stick for you guys?

cheers fnq

Jabba_
06-01-2008, 07:36 PM
57mph with a full tanks, Fuel and live well, two blokes in full off shore trim... Lighten the load a bit and I do over 60mph.. I can run into the swell at 45mph without pretty easy...

captain rednut
06-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I love my four stroke

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Jeese thats fast! is that a V16/17 in the pic? cannot beat the older hulls for perfrmance over waves.

cheers fnq

deadbeatloser
06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Not bad.. I did 90mile/144klm off shore and in the broad water, and used 57ltr...
Love my E-tec..

what size is your donk. ?
that fuel rate is astounding!
is that km an hour or mph as you quote?
have you got the HO motor?
regards
don;D

Jabba_
07-01-2008, 05:30 AM
what size is your donk. ?
that fuel rate is astounding!
is that km an hour or mph as you quote?
have you got the HO motor?
regards
don;D
It's a 250 E-tec, 24hrs on it so far. No it not the HO
I quoted in Miles/ph...
All my Data is from the GPS....

The boat is a Safarer Vermont

KAGEY1
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Wicked Goor These Etecs. We've Just Clocked 23hrs On The 115 Pushing The 550 Formosa. 2 Blokes, Offshore, 150l Fuel, Big Esky Etc. 25-30kts
Punching Into A Hefty Chop On The Way Home. 48.8nm Or Around 88kms,
53l Fuel. Had To Use The Throttle Constantly On The Way Home.
Still Got To Be Happy With That!!

Jabba_
07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Jeese thats fast! is that a V16/17 in the pic? cannot beat the older hulls for perfrmance over waves.

cheers fnq
Sorry I just noticed your post...
My boat is a 2003 Seafarer Vermont 5.9m..
It's not a full on fishing boat, but more off an all-rounder. Fish, ski, social an sleeps 2.
Seafarer class them as a runabout. They have the old 5.9 Victory Hull with a redesigned top to make it a run about....Here a pic off the Data, and a old pic off the boat. Sorry, I don't have any newer pic's with the E-tec..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/07012008001.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/07012008.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/0701010006.jpg

death_ship
07-01-2008, 09:38 PM
90km/hr! i would be wanting airbags and seatbelts, you are nuts!

Bonus
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I love you etec fellows. The Offshore Marine master 6.3 metre with full load and 175 Suzuki 4 stroke did 78 nm for 70 litres and some of that was 20 knots. Motor has done 10 hours now. How are you Don? Please keep me informed about your windsreen. Russ

KAGEY1
08-01-2008, 10:43 AM
bonus, those are good figures with the size of your rig. what sort of conditions were you in?

Jabba_
08-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Very good figures for a 6.8m boat.. What is the pitch off your prop???

deadbeatloser
08-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I love my four stroke

at least you do;D

Shanoss
08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
How much Super Dooper 2 Stroke oil did you lot go through?

Bonus
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Jabba, The omm is 6.3 metres and 6.8 metres over all without motor. Prop pitch is 21 inch and diametre 15 inch. Remember gearing of the 4 stroke is different to the Etec. Kagey1, The conditions were perfect for the first hour and then northerly came in 15 knots and then later 15-18knots with a following sea going home. Russ

Jabba_
08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
How much Super Dooper 2 Stroke oil did you lot go through?
Sweat FA... And I my oil ratio is set to SCw3, which uses double the normal amount... I running at SCw3 because I had 19lt of XD50 left over from my DI. So rather then wast it, I will use it.... Since my run in period finished, the amount off oil used is ridiculously little.. I'll be lucky to finish my XD50 by July.....

In summary. I have done 23hrs on the new E-tec. 10 off which double oil period... So far I have used 6ltrs...... Now had I been using XD100. I would off only used 3lt. And that still included the double oil period....
To put into $$$. The XD50 has cost me $43, But the XD100 would have cost me $35

Jabba_
08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Jabba, The omm is 6.3 metres and 6.8 metres over all without motor. Prop pitch is 21 inch and diametre 15 inch. Remember gearing of the 4 stroke is different to the Etec. Kagey1, The conditions were perfect for the first hour and then northerly came in 15 knots and then later 15-18knots with a following sea going home. Russ
Cheers Bonus... In which way does the 4st gearing differ to the 2st.. Are they shorter geared?

captain rednut
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
theres nothing wrong with four stroke yammys, we just contain our excitment!

Bonus
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
jabba, I had to look it up and your 250 V6 etec has a gear ratio of 1.85:1. My 175 Suzuki has a ratio of 2.5:1. This means that the 4 stroke prop is turning much slower and can therefore run a bigger diameter prop and would run more pitch. Suzuki 4 strokes have 2 stage reduction and are able to run a more efficient prop which does not slip as much. The gears in the gearbox are physically smaller and therefore the gearbox is also smaller and has less drag in the water. These are some of the reasons I chose a Suzuki.
Russ

death_ship
08-01-2008, 10:35 PM
the only thing wrong with my four stroke yammy is that there is nowhere to put the super doopa worlds dearest oil!

leezor
08-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey Jabba, your average speed was only 15km/h on that trip. Will be interesting to see what sort of figures she does averaging 45-50km/h.
Here is an pic of my figures at cruise on my last trip, I used 58lt of fuel:

Jabba_
09-01-2008, 05:31 AM
the only thing wrong with my four stroke yammy is that there is nowhere to put the super doopa worlds dearest oil!
Bummer that... But on the up side, you have to get your motor serviced 3 times as often....

Jabba_
09-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Hey Jabba, your average speed was only 15km/h on that trip. Will be interesting to see what sort of figures she does averaging 45-50km/h.
Here is an pic of my figures at cruise on my last trip, I used 58lt of fuel:
I noticed you have 8 in your speed threshold and I have 0..... What does the speed threshold do????

KAGEY1
09-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Shanoss, not very much mate. i have a 9l remote tank in the formosa. it was filled for me by the dealer on delivery. after nearly 30 hrs now, it is only at the halfway mark. it double oiled the first 10- 12 hrs as per all etecs. after 50 odd nm's of running near flat out, i have trouble seeing if it has moved. even checked with the dealer to see if there was a problem.
all was cool!
geoff

paul cooper
09-01-2008, 03:13 PM
wow you guys really like to get there quick myself im 55 so a nice quiet ride out at a days plastic fishing and a tub full of snapper usually costs me about seven dollars ive got a 4.6 quinnie running a 40 4 stroke 2003 mod its no rocket but i think its all about affordability to me you dont seem to cry too much if you do have a bad day and the low fuel costs mean more trips and better gear .
ive tried all kinds of boats over the years and finally settled for a rig that will do every thing from fishing shallow creeks dams and ocean work and to me its affordable god bless the 4 stroke

Wahoo
09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
thats good going E-tec fellas, very good fuel figures, i am now looking for a paint brush so i can give the motor a lick of white paint:P:P;D

my last trip i think worked out 1.5 l per k fully loaded and sitting on 85kph spinning a 17p prop was getting 90.3kph with a 19p

Daz

Wahoo
09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
opps.........should them figures be the other way round??? 178ks to 120L fuel, is that 1.48l per K ? or 1.48ks per L, now im getting myself muddled up

Daz

disorderly
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
thats good going E-tec fellas, very good fuel figures, i am now looking for a paint brush so i can give the motor a lick of white paint:P:P;D

my last trip i think worked out 1.5 l per k fully loaded and sitting on 85kph spinning a 17p prop was getting 90.3kph with a 19p

Daz

They are pretty sweet figures,daz, for a 6 metre platey and verado.
Dont be shy about posting performance figures though as no one here is saying that E-tec's are the best.
It just appears that most people that have one are really happy with them.
And I do have to say that when DI 2 stroke can acheive similar economy as 4 strokes with the proven power advantage then I guess its only natural that we are more than happy with them.

scott

and shanoss I used less "Super dooper"oil in the first 100 hours than was emptied out of your gearbox during its first service.

death_ship
09-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Bummer that... But on the up side, you have to get your motor serviced 3 times as often....hope the gearbox oil lasts the 3 years, ive seen what it looks like after 50 hours, and thats the good stuff:o , the old magnet might be pretty full. I guess they gotta make the money somehow if they dont service them so they bump up the parts and oil prices. either way you pay.

Wahoo
09-01-2008, 04:44 PM
They are pretty sweet figures,daz, for a 6 metre platey and verado.
Dont be shy about posting performance figures though as no one here is saying that E-tec's are the best.
It just appears that most people that have one are really happy with them.
And I do have to say that when DI 2 stroke can acheive similar economy as 4 strokes with the proven power advantage then I guess its only natural that we are more than happy with them.

scott

G:day Scott
im more than happy with my setup, but its good to see what others are getting
fuel is in no way of an issue for me, if it was i would just sell the boat, no good of haveing a boat and being worried about the running cost, i just love getting out there for a fish/dive

cheers

Daz

disorderly
09-01-2008, 04:55 PM
G:day Scott
im more than happy with my setup, but its good to see what others are getting
fuel is in no way of an issue for me, if it was i would just sell the boat, no good of haveing a boat and being worried about the running cost, i just love getting out there for a fish/dive

cheers

Daz
Haha... I'm hearing you there,mate.
If we were that concerned about the cost of a fishing trip then I don't think there would be many boats out at the reef.
To be honest I think most boat owners(particularly 5m+ boats that run big miles) could pay off an investment property or 2 if they didn't have to pay for their boats and the associated running costs
How lucky we are that we can afford to have this boating lifestyle and still be able to afford to live well in this country.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif

Scott

Oh and I forgot to add that recent studies have shown that life just gets better if you buy an E-Tec.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Wahoo
09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
LOL....Scott..

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Scott, if my Mrs. reads this post them i'm buggered. Everytime i get on the computer she has left it open on some real estate page for me to look at. Now, with a fellow fisherman talking about selling boats and buying houses, I'll be up to my neck in run-down renovators delights.

I have no idea how much oil came out of my motor by the way. God invented out board mechanics for a reason. And the reason was so i could pay them far too many $$$ so i dont have to know what goes on under the cowel.

Jabba_
09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
hope the gearbox oil lasts the 3 years, ive seen what it looks like after 50 hours, and that's the good stuff:o , the old magnet might be pretty full. I guess they gotta make the money somehow if they don't service them so they bump up the parts and oil prices. either way you pay.
Yeah, you boxed me into a corner with no way out with that one.... And because I am slightly retarded, and I can not work out how to remove the drain and inspection plug on the gear box to replace the oil myself. I therefore have to send my whole boat to the dealer for a annual or every 100hr service, instead off the 3 year/300hr as recommended... Oh, the horror...

But you know I'm just saying that because deep down I'm just jealous. Jealous about the fact that I don't have sump oil, Oil filters, pulley belts, more frequent servicing, heavier motor, slower motor, more frequent servicing, more expensive servicing...

disorderly
09-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Scott, if my Mrs. reads this post them i'm buggered. Everytime i get on the computer she has left it open on some real estate page for me to look at. Now, with a fellow fisherman talking about selling boats and buying houses, I'll be up to my neck in run-down renovators delights.

I have no idea how much oil came out of my motor by the way. God invented out board mechanics for a reason. And the reason was so i could pay them far too many $$$ so i dont have to know what goes on under the cowel.

You're a funny bugger shanoss!!
I think however,that you are a very lucky, funny bugger though.
I've heard it said before that every successful partnership needs at least one partner with a good dose of common sense and I would say that your missus is a very astute women.
The jury is still out on you though, mate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.

scott

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 06:27 PM
She cant be that astute, she married me after all.

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, you boxed me into a corner with no way out with that one.... And because I am slightly retarded, and I can not work out how to remove the drain and inspection plug on the gear box to replace the oil myself. I therefore have to send my whole boat to the dealer for a annual or every 100hr service, instead off the 3 year/300hr as recommended... Oh, the horror...

But you know I'm just saying that because deep down I'm just jealous. Jealous about the fact that I don't have sump oil, Oil filters, pulley belts, more frequent servicing, heavier motor, slower motor, more frequent servicing, more expensive servicing...

Wait till have you to replace your sparkplugs. I betchya they're pricey. I reckon it all evens out though. You lot use more fuel and oil, we have to have more services, though i dont think many people really go with the three year no service thing anyways so maybe you spend nearly as much as us 4 banger owners.
Plus, I love it when people play the complicated card. I dont reckon the average Jo would have any more chance of getting a broken Etec started than a broken 4stroke.
And thank the Lordy lord that i dont have oil injectors. Those things are a nightmare. But the biggest thing for me is that my motor is not painted white. It would really clash with my off white Hull. And then there is the smell of burning oil etc.... I could go on and on but People will probably starting burning Big letter E's on my lawn.

FNQCairns
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Wait till have you to replace your sparkplugs. I betchya they're pricey. I reckon it all evens out though. You lot use more fuel and oil, we have to have more services, though i dont think many people really go with the three year no service thing anyways so maybe you spend nearly as much as us 4 banger owners.
Plus, I love it when people play the complicated card. I dont reckon the average Jo would have any more chance of getting a broken Etec started than a broken 4stroke.
And thank the Lordy lord that i dont have oil injectors. Those things are a nightmare. But the biggest thing for me is that my motor is not painted white. It would really clash with my off white Hull. And then there is the smell of burning oil etc.... I could go on and on but People will probably starting burning Big letter E's on my lawn.

Shanoss, I am a little slow.....what is ityou are trying to say!!LOL

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66117

cheers fnq

death_ship
09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
hehe nice FNQ
Hey jabba even retards can change the gearbox oil, i did, so go for it mate, dont worry i will just have to sit and suffer with my four stroke, i might even trade it for an etec, if they are still around when mine wears out that is, haha

captain rednut
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM

it sounds to me like you love the fact you only have to your hand in your pocket once every three years? maybe you should have bought a yacht and let me guess it would be a white one? i bet your cars a four stroke? oh you better sell it quick.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon5.gif

manchild
09-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Death ship and captain rednut .What is with you guys ?You drop in a thread and start picking on people.Are you guys teething or the swings were full at the playground?Grow up.Enjoy what you got be a better option.
George

deadbeatloser
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM

as long as you believe all the above crap you will be happy.
dont be angry and nasty just because you made the wrong engine choice, how in the hell will it even its self out your over engineered million parts engine will cost thousands more over next three years then mine and you think different ,you will never know . i'll get you some dunny roll to wipe ya chin...lmao... you can share it with captain redbutt....
beers
don

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey FNQ, where did you get those figures about the GBR in your signature? I love arguing with greenies, but i hate quoting figures of which i'm not sure of the source. Have tried saying FNQ told me, but it dont seem to work.

Shane

deadbeatloser
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
hehe nice FNQ
Hey jabba even retards can change the gearbox oil, i did, so go for it mate, dont worry i will just have to sit and suffer with my four stroke, i might even trade it for an etec, if they are still around when mine wears out that is, haha

yeah there will still be E-TEC's around next year when yours drops a valve and is cheaper to put it in the bin then repair all those valves and stuff.;D geez is that a loose camchain i hear rattling...lmao

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 08:32 PM
dont be angry and nasty just because you made the wrong engine choice, how in the hell will it even its self out your over engineered million parts engine will cost thousands more over next three years then mine and you think different ,you will never know . i'll get you some dunny roll to wipe ya chin...lmao
beers
don

Don, you are a deadset idiot mate. If you cant figure out the joke, then i'm glad that your boat windscreen fell off. Shame you were'nt standing behind it at the time though.

captain rednut
09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Death ship and captain rednut .What is with you guys ?You drop in a thread and start picking on people.Are you guys teething or the swings were full at the playground?Grow up.Enjoy what you got be a better option.
George
dont stress manchild its only a bit of harmless fun! us four stroke guys have copped it before on here on here as well.

leezor
09-01-2008, 08:36 PM
dont be angry and nasty just because you made the wrong engine choice, how in the hell will it even its self out your over engineered million parts engine will cost thousands more over next three years then mine and you think different ,you will never know . i'll get you some dunny roll to wipe ya chin...lmao
beers
don

Haha, here we go again. The Etec Brothers Boys Band are banging their drums again.
Have said before and will say it again, once you have had BLACK there is no going back!!!!!
I think its time to go watch that Etec sales DVD again boys, cant belive you fell for for it HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Haha, here we go again. The Etec Brothers Boys Band are banging their drums again.
Have said before and will say it again, once you have had BLACK there is no going back!!!!!
I think its time to go watch that Etec sales DVD again boys, cant belive you fell for for it HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Love it!;D ;D

death_ship
09-01-2008, 08:41 PM
George
these etec guys love it manchild, let me guess, you got one to.
P.S. 90% of your posts are abusive
stay cool

manchild
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks Rednut ,thats all it is lighthearted p'$#take.Death ship you should be learning the difference too.Show me 1 abusive word in my post .90%?Seems to me you do most of your fishing on this site mate.
cheers
George

death_ship
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
yeah there will still be E-TEC's around next year when yours drops a valve and is cheaper to put it in the bin then repair all those valves and stuff.;D geez is that a loose camchain i hear rattling...lmao
na i think its the srews in the stabi
:D

FNQCairns
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey FNQ, where did you get those figures about the GBR in your signature? I love arguing with greenies, but i hate quoting figures of which i'm not sure of the source. Have tried saying FNQ told me, but it dont seem to work.

Shane

They are Dr Walter Starks figure's, forget which publication, widely known and credible but silently ignored by Government and the greenies or should that be the GovGrens :).

cheers fnq

death_ship
09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Rednut ,thats all it is lighthearted p'$#take.Death ship you should be learning the difference too.Show me 1 abusive word in my post .90%?Seems to me you do most of your fishing on this site mate.
cheers
George
i give up you win. im not into bitching, see ya

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 08:50 PM
cheers
George

Why do a cetain few feel that they have to moderate discussions on Ausfish? i thought that was why we had moderators?

captain rednut
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
god i love my four stroke

manchild
09-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Ill give up too,trust me im not into bitching either.If it came trough different i man enough to apologise .
cheers
George

Wahoo
09-01-2008, 09:01 PM
damn you guys.........................dont stop now ;D:P:P

Daz

Shanoss
09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
damn you guys.........................dont stop now ;D:P:P

Daz

I think everyone is about to have a cuddle

captain rednut
09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
im not cuddling anything white or whos name starts with E

manchild
09-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I dont know about cuddles ,i got very little street credibility left as it is.

death_ship
09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
i just want you to know we can still be friends (unless you own an etec)

disorderly
09-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Bloody hell!!What's all this nonsense!!
You 4 stroke owners are a bunch of wuss's .
Seems the only excitement in your lives is when you are dreaming about E-Tec's and trying to think up ways to justify your own dumb decisions in buying those sluggish 4 strokes..

leezor
09-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Bloody hell!!What's all this nonsense!!
You 4 stroke owners are a bunch of wuss's .
Seems the only excitement in your lives is when you are dreaming about E-Tec's and trying to think up ways to justify your own dumb decisions in buying those sluggish 4 strokes..

Typical, come in after everyone has made up and stir things up again, good one Scott!

disorderly
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical, come in after everyone has made up and stir things up again, good one Scott!

Lee I went and watched a crappy movie and missed all the excitement.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif
What's with all this kissing and cuddling anyway.:-/
must be a 4 stroke owners way of consoling one another I guess.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif

leezor
09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Lee I went and watched a crappy movie and missed all the excitement.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif
What's with all this kissing and cuddling anyway.:-/
must be a 4 stroke owners way of consoling one another I guess.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif

I bet I know what DVD you watched :-X

disorderly
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I bet I know what DVD you watched :-X

hahaha....funny guy!!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

deadbeatloser
10-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Don, you are a deadset idiot mate. If you cant figure out the joke, then i'm glad that your boat windscreen fell off. Shame you were'nt standing behind it at the time though.

yeah i figured it out your the JOKE;D shanetoss
what toss do you stand in front of your screen w#$%&er

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
yeah i figured it out your the JOKE;D shanetoss
what toss do you stand in front of your screen w#$%&er

Mate, you're not even making any sense anymore. Take a big breath, and try and use a little punctuation. It will help in getting your muddled point across. Can i offer you some advice? Education, you stupid angry moron!

manchild
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Here is a couple of links that may interest you blokes.Thats about the only honest thing i seen:http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC4A.aspx

http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC4B.aspx

In your face brp.I own one so far no trouble ,but ihavent even watched the dvd i seen plenty of those before.As for the servicing ,i have it done at 50 and 100 hours.
cheers
George

KAGEY1
10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
:P Aren't We All Fishermen( And Women) On This Site. If The Weather Turns To cr@p, I Spose All We Can Do Is Start Trolling On The Forums To Try For A Bite! Seems A Few Have Hardly Had A Bait In The Water And They're Getting Creamed!! Interested To Know How Much Fuel We All Use Just Trolling?? Either Here Or At Sea, Ha Ha.
Cheers All
Geoff

Jackinthebox
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Went for a run up at Mooloolabah last year in a mate's boat with a new 40hp Etec on the back of a 450 Horizon Northerner.

Fired it up and pushed off from the ramp, five metres out it died! This was only it's second outing.

Dealers were very interested to know if we had touched the engine ...............
apparently something about voiding the warranty?:o.

Anyway, end result ......... engine management system had shat itself. Quoted cost for out of warranty repair was big $$$$$$$$.

Old mate sold the boat next week after it was fixed under warranty. Bit of a shame really as i was looking forward to seeing how one of these engines performs.

Cheers,
Mick.

FNQCairns
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Went for a run up at Mooloolabah last year in a mate's boat with a new 40hp Etec on the back of a 450 Horizon Northerner.

Fired it up and pushed off from the ramp, five metres out it died! This was only it's second outing.

Dealers were very interested to know if we had touched the engine ...............
apparently something about voiding the warranty?:o.

Anyway, end result ......... engine management system had shat itself. Quoted cost for out of warranty repair was big $$$$$$$$.

Old mate sold the boat next week after it was fixed under warranty. Bit of a shame really as i was looking forward to seeing how one of these engines performs.

Cheers,
Mick.

Think what you speak about is the only downside to the new engines, every single one is on borrowed time, like none of the older crop of engines ever were, there is a 100hp yamaha on ebay ATM that is junk for one reason only.

In 7-10 years there will be bucketloads of secondhand parts available for the common most popular engines of now I suspect.

Your mate may have jumped the gun just a little but what price emotion.

cheers fnq

disorderly
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
It's increasingly becoming a disposable world,scott.
Motors will probably become like anything else.
Once it's broke ,just chuck it out and buy the lastest chinese model from the supermarket.

Jackinthebox
17-01-2008, 01:30 PM
FNQ,

he jumped the gun alright but it was for financial reasons mostly. The engine failure was the straw that broke the camel's back. He had a serious financial issue come up and discovered he couldn't really afford the payments on the boat.

The dealer bought it back off him for $14,000 a couple of weeks after selling it to him for $20,000!!!! $6000 profit in two weeks and you get your product back!!!!! Now that's good business!!!

Cheers,
Mick.

Jackinthebox
17-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Disorderly,

interesting you say that.

Just before i left last year, Quinnie were busy testing out some chinese outboards on their boats .
Could be some different packages coming onto the market this year.

Mick

disorderly
17-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Disorderly,

interesting you say that.

Just before i left last year, Quinnie were busy testing out some chinese outboards on their boats .
Could be some different packages coming onto the market this year.

Mick

If thats the case,mick,then at least now the quality of the motor will match that of the boat http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.(now that you don't work there anymore,of course http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif ).

Scott