PDA

View Full Version : Great Work V.m.r

bluefin59
06-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I installed my V.H.F radio this week due to crap weather and while monitoring channel73 today and yesterday on the bay i was surprised how many people where broken down and needing assistance my radio was picking up southport marine rescue to mooloolaba . I cant believe how busy those guys are it was a real eye opener ,a lot of people must just leave their boats in the yard and all of a sudden get the urge to go with no preperation so to all you guys and girls that volunteer for these groups agreat job you do with out too many accolades good on you . Nice to know someone is there when you need help........matt

russ81
06-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Mate I have to agree they are the unsung heros who most forget about until they need assistance. There dedication and professionalism goes above and beyond .

I just wish more people would support these wonderful organizations by taking out membership

Russ

Kleyny
06-01-2008, 08:20 PM
here here

neil

Tailortaker
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I work for IGA supermarkets and we give the VMR Bribie Island a decent donation every year from our community chest funds to aid them in the costs to do the great job they do. Well done to ALL VMR's.
TT

TonyG
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I installed my V.H.F radio this week due to crap weather and while monitoring channel73 today and yesterday on the bay i was surprised how many people where broken down and needing assistance my radio was picking up southport marine rescue to mooloolaba . I cant believe how busy those guys are it was a real eye opener ,a lot of people must just leave their boats in the yard and all of a sudden get the urge to go with no preperation so to all you guys and girls that volunteer for these groups agreat job you do with out too many accolades good on you . Nice to know someone is there when you need help........matt

Hi bluefin59,

I totally agree with your comments.

Te vmr membership is the cheapest insurance I have ever taken out & the fact that I can log on with them (which is free) is work the value of the membership anyway

mik01
06-01-2008, 08:48 PM
careful guys - some idiot will post soon about how the VMR are cowboys and get their jollies out of helping people.::)

they are much better people than I - giving up their personal time and putting their lives at risk sometimes to help others. I'm much too selfish to donate my time, but I do donate my money via membership which is the least I can do.
I don't care if I never need their services - the money is well spent insurance.

BrewGuru
07-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Some good friends of mine thought they might spend Xmas/New Years eve at Tangalooma wrecks. They anchored up, him a beer, her a chardy. Went downstairs to shower and found water gushing up through the drain hole in the shower.
She asked he if that was normal? He said shit No!
Found they had done stern gland on their yacht. With the electrics now gone, due to kneecap flooding. Redcliffe VMR only took 40 mins to get there and towed them back to Scarborough, whilst they took turns on the whale pump.
Arrived Scarborough 12:30am Xmas morning....
What a fantastic effort by VMR Redcliffe. My mate was very greatfull and opened up his wallet to VMR for there assistance especially at that time of Night, otherwise the yacht would have joined the rusting hulks at Tangalooma

gawby
07-01-2008, 07:40 AM
My full support to all the VMR groups.
They under go a lot of training to be as professional as they are.
Just to throw a spanner in the works, as quoted, " a lot of people must just leave their boats in the yard."
Without any preperation they are on the water and break down and have to be rescued and some maybe due to the attitude, she will be right.
Does this differ from the jet skier who had engine trouble in the seaway and got bagged like nothing before or should we bag the broken down boaties and say that they should be paying for their rescue as well.
Again my full support to the VMR and other rescue organisations.
I will probable cop a bit of bagging myself for this but it is just my thought.
I do not think that any shoud be paying myself.

Graeme