PDA

View Full Version : leecy outboard<transom> on 385 explorer

billie boy
06-01-2008, 05:15 PM
hi all,
just need to know if anyone has ever installed a electric outboard on a quintrex 385 explorer.because the top of the transom is on a angle from the corner to where the petrol outboard is.

Kleyny
06-01-2008, 08:03 PM
i haven't but i would make a bracket to make the motor sit on the stern straight.

neil

Dan5
06-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah mate i had a 27lb minn kota on one and it worked fine.

billie boy
07-01-2008, 07:00 AM
dan 5
where did u put it on? any pics

Dan5
07-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Mate i just clamped it on the port side next to the outboard on the box section,i don't have any photo's of it to show you.After having a transom mount and using a bow mount i'd go bow mount any day but they are a lot more expensive but much nicer to use.

Poseidon
07-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Had the same problem on my old 3.95 Allycraft. Ended up getting a bracket welded in on the transom and at the same time a bracket welded on the bow. This gave me both options and would swap between the transom and the bow depending on the wind. The picture shows the transom bracket.

Hope this helps.

Regards Cameron.

Dan5
07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
A ha sorry mate my transom was'nt like the one in the photo i had the older explorer 385 just before the eclipse hull came out also mine was short shaft so i had an almost flat transom across the back.I also had a 40 tohy on the back a twin cylinder one so i needed the electric for trolling.It was so quiet running on electric i remember fishing at yellow water's one time and acciedently snuck up on a 4.5 mtr croc within half a meter of him it was pretty funny i don't know who shit themselves more him or me.Dan.......

kitch76
07-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I have the new eclipse hull in a long shaft and as you can see in the pics the transom is quite flat

billie boy
08-01-2008, 08:48 PM
19089hey kitch76,
i have the eclipse hull 2 but mine looks quite different,they told me mine was able to take short or long shaft.

kitch76
09-01-2008, 09:06 PM
No you either have a short or a long shaft hull. I spose you could put a long shaft motor on yours but then the prop would sit heeps lower than needed which means you cant travel in as shallow water than with your S/S motor. I dont even know why they make the S/S hull as it is the same as mine apart from the transom. (any takers to answer this) I was sold the L/S motor and boat and told it was also the same $$ for the S/S combination.

ANYFISH
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I had a quinnie 3.75 bass that had much the same angle as your boat. I welded on a bracket much the same as what is shown in posiedons photo. My mate has got a hornet and he just cut a piece of wood the right angle to make the motor sit vertical and screwed it to the top part of the transom.