PDA

View Full Version : G2 Vision Users

imported_QCR
06-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I have now had the opportunity to try out my new software with a trip to the reef a couple of days ago. I see they have done away with the compass rose and big red arrow pointer that was in the Blue card and now you just follow the coloured line to your WP.

On doing this I noticed that every now and then a small orange arrow appeared next to my boat symbol. I thought this must have been the replacement for the old type pointer and it was coming on to tell me that I was off course and that I should be steering so that this arrow was on all the time., so I started to keep it on and follow it and as a result my trip to the reef was done in a big arc. I returned just using visual landmarks and comparing this to just following the coloured line and this worked.

On getting home and reading the manual I cant find any reference to my little orange arrow so I,m presuming that it is an off course alarm.

Can anyone elaborate on this

Thanks

Terry

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Terry I suspect it is what you say I noticed that it only comes on when I am off course, I don't like it at all, it's silly stupid! would be great if I had a screen the size of a laptop so I could see my destination and my current position at a zoom level that didn't clutter the screen to useless over 30km of water. I cannot find a way to get the constant orange line back, will be interested to hear what responses you get.

cheers fnq

cheers fnq

imported_QCR
06-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your reply FNQ

I agree, I think this software was designed with large screens in mind and not at all for us little blokes, I also think its very gimiky. I turned off thy map overlay and some other fancy bits to try and get it back to grass roots stuff.

It will be interesting to see other comments

Terry

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for your reply FNQ

I agree, I think this software was designed with large screens in mind and not at all for us little blokes, I also think its very gimiky. I turned off thy map overlay and some other fancy bits to try and get it back to grass roots stuff.

It will be interesting to see other comments

Terry

I did the same thing the first night I used it and it wasn't even fitted in the boat yet but after yesterdays trip where I got a full days mucking about in a real fishing senario I now think it's the best piece of boating wizardry out there for navigating around the reef (as in any chartplotter) as I do not yet know the area like the back of my hand, made the trip greatly more enjoyable and I suspect I saved money also as I could cut to the bone my cruising navigation lines in real time, if that makes sense.

Hope there is a G2 guru on Ausfish somewhere as there are lot's of little things I suspect I would like to know without just discovering them sometime whenever, for instace have you noticed red/green boat pic's direction when underway is an average of some period of time/distance, I dunno how long and the heading line is near instant although sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds to update - that bit is a right pain when trying to nail a mark, I find my self yelling update! update! worried that by the time it does it will be too late and I will need to go around again, I am being a little pedantic as the unit zooms to 5m, my boat will not even turn within that range!

I like it just need to get a feel for its negatives but as far as a piece of new electronics, I should have bought one years ago, G2 or no G2.

Look forward to any of the little things you find cause there is nowhere else in the world a person can be informed on it's features/behaviour.

cheers fnq

Far side
06-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I have the 4008 with the g2 card

When you setup up a point to go to the arrow comes up if you are off course from your start point to the destination un less you go back to the direct line course then the arrow will stay on

Having changed from a navman to the Garmin The navman was better because you can reset the XTE so you dont have to go back on course

I also found the red bar black bar that comes up on the top of the Navman better for navigation as you just line the 2 up

But am stuck with the garmin now

Has anyone had any problems with the unit just turning itself off randomly.??

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Farside,

No mine has no problem like that.

Do you know how to fix this?

Whenasked to nav somewhere, do you get the heading line from go to wo come up?
I used to have one but I am buggered if I can get it back, just the silly arrow now.

Firmware/software update seems to have got rid of all the contour lines in the fishing chart display - cannot get them back now either, it's now just a VERY basic map.

any ideas?

thanks fnq

imported_QCR
06-01-2008, 04:21 PM
No turning off with mine either, however it did freeze a couple of times and I had to turn it off and back on so it could find itself, I dont think this is the GPS but the fact that is under the T-Top as my handheld and the 172C i Had did it as well. I might have to get an ariel if it becomes a problem.
I havent experienced it enough as yet to comment on the other things it does but will pass on what I find out.

FNQ, I did find a page in there somewhere that let you switch on heading lines and other things so maybe you can get back what you lost in there. I think it was in Configure

Terry

snelly1971
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
FNQ with mine i can turn the display detail...eg...contour lines off /on by pressing i think the Data key...Hope this helps

Mick

Far side
06-01-2008, 06:39 PM
sorry double post

Far side
06-01-2008, 06:40 PM
With the nav arrow I think you can set the projected course in time or distance that should extend the arrow

I have the latest version loaded 2.7 its been fine there is a dicky plug on the power but I have overcome that

I notice the unit does get hot

Does anybody elses get hot

FNQ I am not sure about the course line mine seems to come up
I generally use route to instead of go to
It works better with the autopilot

imported_QCR
06-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Now that you mention the heat Farside I had mine working at home yesterday and when finished I went to remove it to check something on the console and the thought crossed my mind when I grabbed it that it was hot.

Not red hot but hot enough to think.

Terry

notsa
06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
My unit doesn`t get hot but while under way the detail on the display turns on and off just leaving the contour lines [while using navigation chart mode] I have downloaded v3 for the unit so I will see what it is like next I go fishing.

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah mine gets warm, suspect it is the whiz bang screen type they use, it certainly works amazingly well though and can handle 33deg full tropical sun for a couple of hours before starting to grey out, the furuno screen is rubbish in comparison.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
06-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Yep I have just had mine shut itself down on itys own accord for no reason today.

I am running V3.00 firmware too just clocked up 50 hrs (motoring hours) > i hopoe they bring out an update for the shutting down :(

The more I use it the more I like it:o

FNQCairns
06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Yep I have just had mine shut itself down on itys own accord for no reason today.

I am running V3.00 firmware too just clocked up 50 hrs (motoring hours) > i hopoe they bring out an update for the shutting down :(

The more I use it the more I like it:o

Garry was that on the 2.8L trip out or back;D;D

cheers fnq

disorderly
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
haven't you fella's signed up for the G2 vision diploma course yet.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
bloody new technology,eh!!

Terry,

How did your new rig handle it's maiden reef trip?
and most importantly ...did you catch anything?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Spaniard_King
07-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Garry was that on the 2.8L trip out or back;D;D

cheers fnq

Once on the way out and once on the way back :) How good would it be to only fuel the boat once a year fnq;D

imported_QCR
07-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Scott,

The maiden voyage went well, I'm pleased with the way it handled. The Hi Thrust Yamaha seems to get it up and going and has plenty of punch. The whole trip was really one to clock up hours so we spent most of the time playing and sight seeing and generally taking note of the various things a new boat can throw at you so you can fix them before the next trip. As a result no fish were caught.

As you can gather from this post playing with the GPS was a priority.

Terry

disorderly
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Scott,

The maiden voyage went well, I'm pleased with the way it handled. The Hi Thrust Yamaha seems to get it up and going and has plenty of punch. The whole trip was really one to clock up hours so we spent most of the time playing and sight seeing and generally taking note of the various things a new boat can throw at you so you can fix them before the next trip. As a result no fish were caught.

As you can gather from this post playing with the GPS was a priority.

Terry

Glad to hear it was a smooth voyage.
Sounds like there are plenty of features on the new GPS unit to become familiar with.
No doubt it will all come with time but as long as you can programme in a mark,save a mark when you find some nice bottom and be able to navigate to a mark(without hitting a reef in between.....dont laugh but I've almost done this),then you are well on your way.

Scott