PDA

View Full Version : McLAY PLATE ALLOY BOATS?

doublexl
05-01-2008, 09:20 AM
INTERESTED ON SOME FEEDBACK ABOUT McLAY BOATS,SAW ONE YESTERDAY & WAS IMPRESSED VARIABLE 18V DEADRISE,5MM BOTTOM,PRESSED PLATE SIDES[I'VE BEEN TOLD THE SIDES ARE PLATE 5083? ANYONE KNOW..] I KNOW TRAILCRAFT USE A DIFERENT GRADE OF ALLOY FOR THERE PRESSED SIDES,SO THERE NOT CLASSED AS A PLATEY IN MANY PEOPLES EYES..ANY COMMENTS ABOUT McLAYS WELCOME.....THANKS

Smithy
05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Just quickly using the search function.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=114631&highlight=mclay

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1125299608/47#47

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1123244668/7#7

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1097014374/6#6

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1076926407/7#7

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1043199278/10#10

lippa
07-01-2008, 05:15 PM
g'day mate, i own a 605 mclay, its friggin awesome!!
i bought it second hand with low hours.
i belive it is 5083 ally, theve got no where near the amount of folds like a trailcraft, so they can do it without structual problems.
the boat is absolutly fantastic in a following sea.
its a shame they dont make them here in australia any more.
the welding, i have to say is the best ive seen on any plate boat iv seen, it almost looks as if it was tig welded rather than migged.

cheers

lippa

polky
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey lippa did you buy your boat out of Tannum Sands. Polky.

lippa
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
sure did mate, from the fella who owns the granite kitchen joint

cheers

lippa

disorderly
07-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Lippa ,I've heard plenty of people trash the pressed trailcraft platey's
Are they really any different to the McLay's?...
If so, what and why?
I believe you also looked at barcrushers.Was your decision not to go with them based soley on looks .Did you test drive one?...and how does your boat drive and ride compared to them?
Not in anyway denigrating your boat(it looks real nice and I bet its economical with that silver motor)) but I am a little confused as too what constitutes a "true platey"(with welded up sides as opposed to pressed) and what if any advantage this offers.
Also wondering pricewise how the McLay's compares to a custom fisher or similar.

Scott

Wahoo
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
sure did mate, from the fella who owns the granite kitchen joint

cheers

lippa

Lippa
do you happen to know on what they charge per square meter on granite kitchen tops?

Daz

lippa
07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
G’day Scott, don’t quite know where ya coming from, but I’ll try to answer your questions.

Lippa, I’ve heard plenty of people trash the pressed trailcraft platey's
Are they really any different to the McLay's?...
I briefly looked at trailcrafts when I was looking to build a new boat, the price was what scared me away, and I thought better value could be had by a local manufacturer. I’ve never been for a run in a trailcraft, so I can’t comment on how, or if they are different.
Trailcraft use a different grade alloy on the sides which allows them to have a clinker style look. 5083 all simply can’t be bent that many times, without the structural integrity of the ally being compromised. I believe the ally they use is a marine grade and comparable to 5o83. The folds in the side of the mclay are at least 200-250mm apart. Unlike u quinny or trailcraft where they are a lot closer together.

I believe you also looked at barcrushers. Was your decision not to go with them based solely on looks .Did you test drive one?...and how does your boat drive and ride compared to them?
I even went to the trouble of flying to the Sydney boat show, to check out the new barchrusher 6.2mt, they had just released. Apart from aesthetics, the 6.2m didn’t represent value when compared to the 6.4mt. At that stage I hadn’t been for a run in one, but, I since have, and consider them to be a good riding hull. In a head sea the barchrusher seems to slice the water giving a lot less “bang” in a messy moreton bay chop. In a following sea it kind of did what it wanted. But it felt safe, and the driver was always in control. The mclay is outstanding in a following sea, it doesn’t duck and dive and fells very “sure” in a head sea it does get a slight bang going but its hardly there

3. Not in anyway denigrating your boat(it looks real nice and I bet its economical with that silver motor)) but I am a little confused as too what constitutes a "true platey"(with welded up sides as opposed to pressed) and what if any advantage this offers.

This could be debated over a thousand beers, as far as I’m aware almost all ally boats are welded these days. I.e., the side weld the gunnels and to the floor. The differences I believe is “pressed” boats are a boat that is more likely to be mass manufactured using a lot of tooling to get the end result. Floors are rolled sides are rolled (or pressed) cabins made in section of the factory the list goes on. “plateys” in my opinion are generally made by smaller companies to a higher standard; every thing is manufactured around the boat, to individual customer requirements. As I say it’s an open debate, is a trailcraft a platey? I dunno, they a very strict with there designs only allowing minimal modifications. But is defiantly more a “plate” boat then say a quintrex or ally craft, and the like.

4. Also wondering price wise how the McLay's compares to a custom fisher or similar.

I can’t answer that, I bought the mclay second hand, and they are no longer manufactured in Australia. I believe prices were comparable though.

Wahoo,
I’ve got no idea mate, but they aren’t cheap. The guy owned a “granite transformations” franchise, they cover pretty much of Australia, I believe.

Cheers

Lippa

lippa
07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
i have no idea why the word program put the first and last bits in bold!!!

disorderly
07-01-2008, 08:30 PM
thanks for the detailed response lippa.
I'm sure doublexl will glean something from it also.

the reasons for my somewhat ambiguous questions are that at some stage I will be looking at a newer boat in the 6 meter range and I really dont even know what I am after and what I can afford.
So I guess I'm just interested in knowing what makes people choose a particular boat and how different boats in this size range compare structually,ride wise,and price wise.

thanks again

Scott

Smithy
07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Tinnies V Mclays

Tinnies in the old days used that pressing like a Greek letter Omega as ribs. The sheets would crumple against these ribs and they even put foam or other material under them as the sheet and rib would quite often work independant of each other. Plate boats use big stringers up the guts and a lattice work of bearers or whatever word you want to use for them for strength off the stringers. The Mclay is like a true platey with stringers up the guts etc. just that it has clinkered pressings on the side sheets. How things like Trailcrafts and stuff fit into the equation I am not sure either. There also seems to be a lot of tinneys these days with plate side sheets but yet they have pressed ribs. To me they are still just tinneys. Maybe the definition needs to take into account if the boat uses pressed up ribs it is a tinney and if it has a couple of big longitudinal stringers it is a true plate boat IMHO.

lippa
07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
well put smithy.
from memory a 6.2 barchrusher with a 150hp yammy 4s was around 60+k including trailer and basic safety gear, with electronics i was looking at 70k. the likes of fisher, amm ect ya can add a minimum of 15-20k
its a major mind F#$K when ya go through the list of endless options, brands and styles of boats. good luck!

cheers

lippa

doublexl
09-01-2008, 07:32 AM
thanks to everybody,thats a very nice boat lippa.