PDA

View Full Version : Trailerable overnight fishing boat

Flex
04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi all. I have asked this question on the forums months ago and I haven't decided what to buy yet. so Im throwing the question out there again...

Im chasing a trailer able boat for offshore fishing and long week end extended trips up the cape/offshore. My plan is to town a boat to cooktown and drive the boat up to places like lizard island and surrounding reefs islands for 3-4 days at a time) or able to carry gear/fuel to camp on surrounding islands and anchor up in a protected bay somewhere each night. Im not fussed on super luxury, as long as its safe and practical.

My budget is around $80k(maybe a tad more if its worth it). The boat definitely needs to be towable on a trailer up and down the coast(Have a 4.2 turbo nissan). Im happy with either outboard or inboard and I'd be leaning to plate alloy, but Im open to suggestions.

i have seen lots of nice plate alloy boats around 6.5m mark but not many have 2-3 overnight capabilities. Most are simply a small bed and a helm. I can easily rig up a fridge/freezer and take a small gas cooker. A small sink would be handy and maybe a toilet(can crap on an island if need be..but toilet would be nice) and a closed in cabin is always handy. plenty of fishing room, and the capacity to carry enough fuel to travel 300-400km round trip.

Its a tough one I know:) any ideas?

mirage
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Get Fisher Boats to knock you up one with all the camping goodies, from what I've seen they have done some great fishing/camping rigs.

Clyde
05-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Fisher boats will customise it to what you want, you should visit their website and have a look at the completed boats.

Alchemy
05-01-2008, 09:59 AM
G'day Flex,

What you want is exactly what I've got 8-). One of these days, hopefully this year I'll do the Cooktown trip you're talking of.

Alchemy is a Fisher with a walk around cuddy cabin, measures 6.6m LOA and is towed by a 4.2 diesel nissan. Whether you have a walk around or full width cuddy, you still get full sized bunks, eg my bunks are 2m long and easily sleep to large blokes. The cabin has a space in between for a chemical toilet too.

The advantage of of full cuddy is more room at the helm which would make it easier for setting up a galley. However I saw another Fisher like mine that had a great galley set up under the seats. Then there are advantages of the walk around. I have a small gas stove that lives under the port helm seat, and I simply fold that seat back then place a board down for the stove. I also keep pots, pans cuttlery plates etc under the same seat. On the deck under this seat is an evakool 90l freezer. The starboard helm seat has the same set up, only there is a 110l esky and the storage area is just for odds and ends.

The boat is fitted with a 300l fuel tank, kill and live bait tanks plus a 50l freshwater supply for a deck shower. I have two batteries to start the motor (200hp suzuki) and run lights etc and a dedicated 130A/H deep cycle battery to run the freezer. The deep cycle battery is connected to a 123 watt solar panel.

In my opinion plate alloy is the go for a vessel such as this. It allows you to customize every facet of the boat, ensuring you get it set up exactly as you want. When I built Alchemy, I found Col and the guys at Fisher extremely good to deal with. They have a heap of experience and will be able to help you with your ideas on how best to achieve the boat your wanting.

Good luck and if you'd like any further info please ask.

Regards,
Dave.

Flex
05-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the info alchemy. do you have any pics of your boat? and whats you fuel economy like? and how much does your rig weigh?

peterbo3
05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Flex,
A budget of $80K should get you a plate alloy boat around 6.6 or 6.8M with a twin engine setup, 300+ litres of fuel, 2X2M bunks with plenty of rear deck room for 2 air beds, a reasonable level of electronics & a twin axle trailer with elec/hyd brakes.
I have a Fisher 6400 on order which should be ready in a couple of weeks. It is designed for overnight work but has a single 175. I ran a trawler north of Cooktown for a number of years & I would think a twin engine rig is a must. Lots of rough open water up that way & no VMR to help you out. PM me if you want to have a look at mine under construction but all of the local custom alloy builders will be able to do the job.

Flex
05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Pete. Looking at the fisher boats the 6.4 to 6.8 looks like a good choice. 7+m is starting to get into the hard to tow realm.

Im definitely getting twin outboards(or at least an auxiliary). Twin outboards always cost more fuel though and a single yields better performance.

I have fished up north of cooktown for many years, but only offshore in a small 4.5m boat. which i tow into remote areas.

in your experience whats the conditions like heading out from cooktown and up to places like lizard,howick island, in and around bathurst bay,princess charlotte etc, and fringing reefs? I know theres a couple of nasty points to head around..

I'd mainly be island hopping in my boat and pulling up each night in a sheltered anchorage. So I dont need a massive boat to fight huge swells, but it needs to be safe and specifically carry enough fuel. My plan was to head out for 3-4 days at a time and come back fuel up and head out again during my annual break.

Alchemy
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info alchemy. do you have any pics of your boat? and whats you fuel economy like? and how much does your rig weigh?

Hi Flex,

Here's a link to the Fisher website with pictures of mine and other's boats http://www.fisherboats.com.au/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=10
I've also attached a couple of pics of my seat set up. Fuel economy averages around 1.5km per litre, but obviously differs depending on conditions. I always allow 1 litre per km, but am yet to use quite that much.

When I picked up the boat new, I took it over a weighbridge on my way home. It came in at a healthy 2380kg, without fuel and gear etc. I guess fuelled and geared up I'd be 2800kg and possibly more for a longer trip.

Regards,
Dave.

peterbo3
05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Flex,
The SE trades are good when you are heading N. Just run along the shipping lanes using the buoys & towers.The problem is coming back. You get around places like Pipon Shoals & there is no cover from the wind or waves. It is just a slow slog south straight into it with consequent huge fuel burn.
Your best bet, if you really want to go as far N as PCB, may be to hitch a ride up & back with one of the motherships that service the prawn trawlers up that way. It has been a while but most had a HIAB that could lift 3 tons. There used to be a moored fuel barge in the Owen Channel. Perhaps you could work from there. I do not know how the Green Zones have impacted on the fishing areas but you would need to check them out.
There are also barges out of Cairns that service Lizard & the top of the Cape. You could travel as cargo on these & get unloaded near where you want to fish, with a pickup on their return trip. I honestly think that you are going to be pushed to carry enough fuel if you want to get to the more remote locations under your own power.