PDA

View Full Version : Off the front or up the rear

kitch76
04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Thinking of getting an electric outboard and was after peoples opinions do I go tiller steer bow mount, tiller steer, transom mount or go all out and get a foot control model but I dont realy want to spend the extra though, have been looking at the watersnakes

reelchippy
04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
What type boat i have 5m center console and would put up front on a casting platform .cheers got a pic of boat

Xtreme
04-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Hi Kitch,

Bow mount will certainly provide better control on any sized boat when the wind / current has any movement. It's a bit more messing around but once you've owned a bow mount foot / auto - Pilot you'll wonder how you ever fished without one. At least that has been my experience over several boats with both configurations (Bow AP and stern tillers.

Just depends on your budget and frequency of use.

Good Luck.

Steve.

PS - I will have a good Minn Kota RT55AP (54" SHaft) for sale next week complete with Quick Release bracket. PM me if you're interested and I will send some pic's.

reelchippy
04-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Take can you send it to me as well how would a 55lb go on a 5m tinne cheers

Xtreme
04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Realchippy,

Can do. I run it on a 435 Topender and it was plenty big enough but I am upgrading to the new Terova 80lb for my new Xtreme 520 just to be safe. It probably would go OK on a 5M but you'd need to run it at higher power and use more juice is all.

Steve

Tangles
04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Kitch,

Bow mount will certainly provide better control on any sized boat when the wind / current has any movement. It's a bit more messing around but once you've owned a bow mount foot / auto - Pilot you'll wonder how you ever fished without one. At least that has been my experience over several boats with both configurations (Bow AP and stern tillers.

Just depends on your budget and frequency of use.

Good Luck.

Steve.

PS - I will have a good Minn Kota RT55AP (54" SHaft) for sale next week complete with Quick Release bracket. PM me if you're interested and I will send some pic's.

Hi
Some people will love them or not, Well my experience is that they are a bit of a waste of time, got the boat (Seajay Territory 4.55) with the Min Kota Ap 55 etc with all the fruit already on, boat had done an hour and Minn Kota never used, boat was set up for a magazine shot so a good deal. Boats brilliant but.

Well Ive had it for 6 months now and used the Min Kota once for about 1/2 an hour, Nope, i do not wonder how i ever did without it, i wish i could get rid of it as a waste of time and space etc and would love to sell it but the better half wont let me on the basis its a good safety feature, ie second motor..:-[ No my Min Kota is something hanging of the front of the boat in case the real motor fails, nothing else. personally i couldnt ship it out of the garage fast enough but each to his own, you guys love them and i respect that,

mike

63eh
04-01-2008, 10:57 PM
bow mount with wireless

TheSaint
05-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi
Some people will love them or not, Well my experience is that they are a bit of a waste of time, got the boat (Seajay Territory 4.55) with the Min Kota Ap 55 etc with all the fruit already on, boat had done an hour and Minn Kota never used, boat was set up for a magazine shot so a good deal. Boats brilliant but.

Well Ive had it for 6 months now and used the Min Kota once for about 1/2 an hour, Nope, i do not wonder how i ever did without it, i wish i could get rid of it as a waste of time and space etc and would love to sell it but the better half wont let me on the basis its a good safety feature, ie second motor..:-[ No my Min Kota is something hanging of the front of the boat in case the real motor fails, nothing else. personally i couldnt ship it out of the garage fast enough but each to his own, you guys love them and i respect that,

mike

What type of fishing do you do Mike?

Tangles
05-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Mainly bait but a mixture of bait and placcies in the bay around viccie pt to peel etc, depends on who comes out what we fish with, I do a lot of drifting with the placcies when we use them, only used the min kota once when we wanted to maintain a drift with a big current. I didnt have a sea anchor at the time and it was good i admit holding the course on AP.

I can see their uses in esturies, dams, around structure etc, but i dont do that, right now i aint using it. For the amount of use, i cant justify it, would rather sell it and put it into a bimini and gear etc, but well its peace of mind for Bec so it stays as my bow ornament;D But looking on the bright side, when i go to sell the boat someday, someone will get a newish kota.

Or maybe i should pull my finger out and learn to use it, but i will admit to be a lazy fisho, drifting sitting on my backside.

mike

kitch76
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
bow mount with wireless

You paying!!!!!

wamjam
06-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Gday kitch76
Mate if all you do is quietly cruise around the banks or structure casting lures,spinnerbaits or plastics then I would try and get a foot controlled bowmount as said before once you have one you will wonder how you fished without it .My petrol outboard only gets me to the spot I want to fish then its electric the rest of the day.
wamjam

davez104
06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
You could also go the route I'm going and get a good second hand bow mount if funds are limited. Allways seems to be a few for sale, and I don't thik you really need the flashest unit on the market.

Dave.

Leighton
06-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Bow mount foot control, 2 free hands for fishing

Roughasguts
06-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Has anyone tried a bow mount, on a cabin boat with bow rail, and bow sprit ?

I kinda like the idea for motoring out through the small shallow channel near me favourite ramp. Then I could keep the motor up and not potentially suck up any mud.

Just wondering how you would mount it and store.