PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 15hp

dinky
04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Hello ausfishers,im looking at buying a new merc 15hp for my 3.8m horizon.I have looked at the jap built 15 & the US built 15,the US one has a overall smaller leg & the gear shift is on the tiller arm as the 15 jap is in the conventional place near the couling.My question is what is the good & bad of these two motors ? Any help much appreciated.Dinky

fishingrod
04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Ive had the version with the twist gear shift on the tiller since about 1999. I bought it brand new for about $2250 and may have done max 50 hrs on it. (aux motor only)

I have it serviced every few years and change the gear oil, check the fuel filter and grease the prop shaft every 12 months myself. I gets started up and flushed every trip even if not used. Always starts 1st-3rd pull.

The only problem I had was just out of warranty. The rubber stop button in the tiller arm corroded and was permanently shorting out and the motor would not start. A $35 part later and all fixed. No other problems.

Just note that there is no "strong" tilt lock to have the motor fully tilted up while in motion. Mercury have a optional part that allows it to lock fully up securely. The standard full tilt lock is light duty only. You have to use the highest shallow water drive position if you dont have the optional part.

cheers
Rod

Dan5
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I think you will find that the jap built motor is acctually a tohatsu painted black so if your in the market for one i'd be checking and comparing the price on both you might save a bit of cash.Dan.......

dinky
05-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys,i didn't know about the tilt lock, and ill check prices with the Tohatsu dealer.cheers dinky..

seajay535
05-01-2008, 08:59 PM
i had the jap 15 merc super for a couple of years until i upgraded boat and would buy another tomorrow as i never had a problem with it and it always started first pull every time a top little motor

Ron173
06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I have the Jap Merc 15, which is known as the super 15, its a bit bigger in cc.

Top engine, starts first time, well gutsy, and runs on little fuel

tripcon
06-01-2008, 09:25 AM
go to yamaha its a bitter motor

catfishkid
06-01-2008, 10:20 AM
go to yamaha its a bitter motor

Lemons are bitter:P

Go the jap merc/tohatsu,I had an 18 hp tohatsu and it was brilliant and very reliable,bought a bigger boat got a bigger motor but stayed with tohatsu.

Cheers Craig

snapperm8
06-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I just bought a tohastu 18 a top motor, although i have heard that the 15 merc is the same as the 18 tohatsu but why is one 15hp and the other 18hp and everyone says there exactly the same,my thoughts is that the 18 has a bigger jets differrent carby?

cheers dave

laney
06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
ive always had USA model mercs/mariner im onto my third now through the change of boats. i used to be one of the rats running around the nerang river in 3m stessl's so usa models were a must so you could change up a pin on the fly. i believe the jap models are tohatsu 18hp but my usa model has been quicker than the few jap versions i had a run against on the same type of boat.

the one problem i had and the only problem i have had in about 7 years is that i snapped the pin in the tilt system twice on my mariner. im certain the only reason this occured is i had it air borne too many times over wake/waves and the sudden shock entering the water did it.

the gearing on the tiller arm is handy aswell when you need to tilt it up all you need to do is pull the throttle into neutral push down on the tiller then on your way again.

ive trailered mine from the gold coast to noosa and back again many times with the motor up and locked using the tilt lock mechanism and it has worked fine for me and hasn't given up the ghost.

id say the usa model personally

bushbeachboy
06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I've had an American made 15 Mariner. It was a beaut little engine. Very reliable and economical. From memory it had more shallow drive positions than the Tohatsu version. The gear shift in the tiller is also very convenient. I also found out by accident that the US version will 'automatically' tilt up and lock into a shallow drive position if you hit a sandbar, something I found very handy in the shallow Burdekin creeks. For my money, go the American.
Cheers
BBB

Blackened
06-01-2008, 06:32 PM
G'day

I have a 2000 model 9.9 merc, US build.

Both this and the 15 are the same engine, just slight differences with carburation, and porting.

The trim is much better, throttle and gearing are much better on the US model, overall much more user friendly.

With regards to the jap merc, the 15 is just a 15 tohey, and the 15 super is a tohey 18.

All comes down to personal preference.

A US build will be more user friendly and a damn good engine, and a jap build will also be a damn good engine

Whats warranty like on both merc and tohatsu, thats is.... you were going for the jap build.

What is purchase price and dealer support like?

Dave

catfishkid
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
My 18hp tohatsu before i sold that tinny had 2 year warranty,I bought it from river city marine at albion for $1950 and their service was great both before and after purchase.(It was a current model 18 with new livery and was purchased a bit over 12 months ago)
I was pretty happy when i recieved datadot security in post after i had bought the motor,this was unexpected and a nice surprise.
For those that dont know datadot laser etches serial number of engine(Or other details)onto a tiny chip that can only be read with a really good magnifying glass that you paint on,all supplied in a little kit.

Cheers Craig.

crossy
06-01-2008, 10:47 PM
data dot also leaves a residue if they are picked off which is viable under ultra vilot light.(i had to sit through a 2 day course on data dot security).

merc jap has the weird fuel connection as well. the US version has the standard fuel connectioon

Mr__Bean
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM
I have had both and whilst my current 15 is the Jap model, by choice I would have the American one next time.

The reason, as many others have mentioned, is that the gear selector is in the tiller arm and that the gear selection automatically decides whether the "down lock" is on.

On the Jap version you have to manually lean over the back of the boat and disengage the downlock if you are coming in to a bank whereas on the American model it will only downlock if it is put into reverse.

Other than that the jap motor fires up first time and it scoots along fine.

- Darren

Dean1
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a 2003 american 15 mariner and find it an awsome little motor, especially with the the throttle on the steer arm as i use it in a narrow creek up north with mega mangroves so it makes it super easy to do 180's etc whilst checking crab pots ;) Very reliable too...

dinky
08-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Love your humour about lamons catfishkid.I've looked at the two mercs & tohatsu 18hp all three have 3yr warranty & various fours & againsts.You have all given me lots to ponder & lots of knowledge,there is'nt much price difference between them.I think i will go for the usa 15hp merc.Can't wait to get it,i better hurry up & get the boat finished.Thankyou all again for your info.Cheers Dinky....

laney
08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
good choice mate you wont regret it.

ive just decided to upgrade from my usa 15hp merc to a usa 25hp merc due to fitting boat out with full floors. i was considering a tohatsu but the usa mercury's have been good to me over the last 7 years so why change i say.

good luck with it mate

dinky
08-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks laney,what size boat is that going on ?Go the usa mercs !!!!

laney
09-01-2008, 06:04 PM
its going on a 3.85 quintrex explorer eclipse with extruded top decks so should go well i hope

dinky
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
awesome you'll get some air jumping those waves ;D happy boating Dinky....

laney
10-01-2008, 01:47 PM
haha wont be jumping waves in this one

up the creek
07-06-2016, 09:07 PM
I just bought a tohastu 18 a top motor, although i have heard that the 15 merc is the same as the 18 tohatsu but why is one 15hp and the other 18hp and everyone says there exactly the same,my thoughts is that the 18 has a bigger jets differrent carby?

cheers dave

hi dave the tohatsu 18hp and mercury 15hp super japan version are the same motor exactly just tohatsu is painted blue and to answer your question it is a simple part replacment which allows for the 15 hp to go to 18hp no jets or carbie change its a simple opening the throttle with a part on the throttle body so a 15hp super/jap tohatsu can be a 18hp with a $60.00 part and about an hour to change or you can pay 300-400 more for the 18hp tohatsu but at the end of the day both the 18hp tohatsu and 15super merc are made on same line hope that helps