PDA

View Full Version : Battery for bowmount

Crooked
04-01-2008, 07:11 PM
All,
I am looking for a deep cycle battery for a 54lb bowmount electric. I have asked a few suppliers in Cairns and prices are as follows:
- 85 amp hr Century $210
- 115 amp hr Trojan $270

The question is are these prices reasonable? and if not where are other people finding better deals. I think I should be able to get a better deal somewhere.

I will be using the electric to just hold on snags and adjust position, so a bit stop start, therefore I think 85 amp hr should be enough?

cheers, Evan

Leighton
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Mate im running a 140a/h and paid over $300, you get what you pay for. The size of your battery needed will be determined by the draw you put on it. You need to consider weight of your boat, load on your boat etc. IMO I would be getting something over 100 a/h

Crooked
04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
thanks Cap,
It's a 4.2m tinny, bare hull 200kg, 40Hp motor plus fuel, floors, esky and passengers, so weight does add up.

I was just thinking that I'm not going to be trolling or doing any long distances with the motor so I don't need a really big battery.

But 100amp hr would be good as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

cheers, Evan

Leighton
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
ha ha you will be bashing on the foot pedal more than you think

bdowdy
04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
mine is a140 amp per hour and is bow monted electric on my hornet 400 it lasts foe at least 3 to 4 days and is agreat battery id recomend spending abit more and getting something that you can trust mine cost me 200 bucks which i thought was cheap. cheers bdowdy,,brett

wamjam
04-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Gday Evan
Mate on a perfect day the smaller battery might be OK but when you get a bit of a breeze or blowing its a%s off like today your battery will lose charge real quick. Think mine is a 130amp hr repco cheapy ,still about $150ish
Something to think about wamjam

Crooked
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Brett if I could get a 140amp hr for $200 I'd be happy but at the moment I have only found 85amp hr for $210.

Is your battery and the one Wamjam states a marine deep cycle? or just a regular deep cycle battery? 130 amp hr for $150 would be great! I just worry if it's not a marine battery and I will most likely have it near the front of the boat that it may damage plates through the pounding in a tinny.

I'd like to get as many amp hr's as possible but at the moment it's just the cost.

cheers, Evan

Simmo2
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I've got an 85 a/h Bosch on mine and never had an issue just plodding around. I dont run the motor flat bicky, just use it as you describe above. My battery gets plugged in to the smart charger at home.
I agree with the comments above, bigger the better no doubt.
I have run into a bloke (hehe not a charter boat!) that indicated he charges his 100 a/hr once a week, I havent let my battery experience this.

TheSaint
05-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I just got 140amp Supreme battery from Battery Traders @ slacks creek for $250 which is a good price i think as i was quoted $200 for 80amp of brand that i didn't know at another national chain seller..

I had 80amp in my old hornet & can tell you it would die after 6 hours into a comp if the wind was blowing & tide were running fast. It would leave me with nothing so to have that extra 30amps or 30-40% of extra battery life for $60 i know which way i would be going..

NAGG
05-01-2008, 01:09 PM
All,
I am looking for a deep cycle battery for a 54lb bowmount electric. I have asked a few suppliers in Cairns and prices are as follows:
- 85 amp hr Century $210
- 115 amp hr Trojan $270

The question is are these prices reasonable? and if not where are other people finding better deals. I think I should be able to get a better deal somewhere.

I will be using the electric to just hold on snags and adjust position, so a bit stop start, therefore I think 85 amp hr should be enough?

cheers, Evan

Evan ..... Seriously dont even consider the 85amp ..... Pay the $60 & buy what is considered the best wet cell battery on the market ( Trojan) That price seems OK
Aside from the quality .... with deep cycle wets , you do not want to want to continually to run them right down (<40% of full charge) as this will affect the longevity ....... this being the case .... an 85 amp battery will use that 60%of charge in less than 1 hour running full stick ( & you can need to run flat stick if holding against a strong tide , current or wind)
Nagg

Crooked
05-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the advice,
I still not 100% sure which I'll go for, but probably the trojan. I'll see if I can find a few more prices.

cheers, Evan

wamjam
06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Gday Evan
Mate the first battery I had for my 55lb min was a calcium car battery (patrol) ,the salesman talked me into it because it had two year waranty and the deep cycle only had 6 months and about 50 bucks cheaper, hope the one I got now is as good as it was.
wamjam

NAGG
06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Gday Evan
Mate the first battery I had for my 55lb min was a calcium car battery (patrol) ,the salesman talked me into it because it had two year waranty and the deep cycle only had 6 months and about 50 bucks cheaper, hope the one I got now is as good as it was.
wamjam

Wamjam ..... Mate that salesman should have been shot for selling a cranking battery for a deep cycle application.
Some just dont understand the difference
Cranking batteries are meant to give a high power burst .... & then be recharged immediately by the alternator ( thats why if you flatten your car battery a few times .... It will often be stuffed & need replacing)
The deep cycle is meant to be slowly bleed of charge to a low level (... Ideally 40% wets & 20% AGMs & GELs) bfore being recharged to full charge by an battery charger or suplimented by a solar cell .
Nagg

plaztix
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
My leccie is a 50lb and i got a 120 Ah Premium marine (dont know what the premium is all about) Deep Cycle battery (AC delco) for $210 at Battery World Slacks Creek. Has a built in charge indicator and all.

I would be going for a minimum 110 Ah.

Buying a good multi stage charger that will properly maintain your battery is as important as getting a good battery. I got a Ctek, which are supposed to be the ducks nuts but i'm sure there are others that will do the trick for less.

Roo
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
i have a 75ah on my 55pd minn kota dragging a fairly hefty 4.55 polycraft(about 700 kg loaded). not really big enough for long days of constant use....but i hardly use it constantly. a big day on monduran (10 or so hrs) and it will be getting very low. go for the biggest you can afford. the wet cells are much cheaper and only require a bit of extra effort for charging and maintainence. I always remove the vent caps for charging and check electrolyte level every time i open it. handy way to save a hundred bucks over AGM's