PDA

View Full Version : Towing Point

dnej
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
If you break down,and and need a tow,I understand the best way to tow a boat,is from the winch point, on the bow.
In my case,with wave breakers,it would be impossible,for anyone on board,to reach that point,yet I understand that VMR,ask you to connect to same.
How would you go about fixing the tow rope,apart from swimming that is.
Anu one been in that situation
Regards David

PinHead
04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
try it on this one..it is as you said..swimming.

Chimo
04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Why not leave a "D" and heavy short line attached to the towing point if your worried about it and suspect you might need a tow.

The way things usually work out if you do this you will never need a tow.

Chimo

tunaticer
04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I have seen several boats with a short length of heavy rope spliced into that winch eye presumably for towing purposes. The VMR do not let you tie off to your anchor cleat because it is too high.

Jack.

dnej
04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Chimo,
I use a painter,or is that paynter,cant remember.
Any how ,it would be easy enough to tie my recovery rope,that I use at the boat ramp,back into the cabin area,in that way I could use it in such an emergency.

I use it again at the ramp,in recovery,in any case.
David

dnej
04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Jack,
I saw a good bloke giving another boatie a tow one day while on the water,and that high point tow,sure was making the job difficult.

Bow was being pulled down.
David

Vitamin Sea
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
G'Day

Have been in the tow situation a couple of times :'( , VMR or Coastguard always get you to hook up to the tow eye.

It is a job to get the hook onto the tow point, especially in a bit of sea, on one occasion had the missus holding onto my feet so the I didn't fall in.

If the situation arose you would probably have to take off your wavebreakers and lean over, or go for a swim.

As a side note it is interesting being pulled across the bay at 40 - 50 KM/H in 20 knt + winds

Cheers

Bill

groverwa
04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
As Chimo said just use a shackle and a short rope that can be tied to the bow rail.

I bought a 50m rope, cut of enough for the job, spliced in a closed eye at one end and an open eye at the other. The open eye will make it easy to attach the rescueing vessels rope. The secured D shackle has the closed eye end.

Part of the rest of the rope was cut long enough to make a bridle with open eye splices at each end to go from each of the stern bollards while what was left had a closed eye spliced into it on one end and an open eye splice on the other to be used as a tow rope if needed. I would only tow another vessel if totally safe to do so

See attached pics and next reply wit a couple more

groverwa
04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
One more pic

Mike

disorderly
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
yeah mate either the shackle and permanent short rope or a sharp stanley knife.

dnej
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Mike,how long is that rope,attached to the bow.Would 7mm dynema rope do the job.It has a hugh breaking strain.

Bill,Well,I would certainly have issues.I am only short,and heavy,and vintaged to boot,so I would have no chance.
Although I have no problems when shopping,when they say" I will be with you shortly"
Say, how long was the tow rope they used.
Regards David

DR
05-01-2008, 11:41 AM
whats wrong with the rescuers, whoever they may be, coming alongside & hooking up for you, unless it is a dangerous situation..

dnej
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
DR,
That is my main reason for my post.It happened to my brother,and he had a bad time ,trying to hook up.
Any one else I ask,that has been towed,all say,VMR ask the owner to hook up.

I for one couldnt reach down that far,even with the wave breakers removed.

VMR must have trouble getting in that close.
David

Chimo
05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
:P Hi David

I just remembered I had taken this photo of my set up so it may be of some interest.;)

The "D" goes onto the winch eye on the towed boat and the short length of 12 mm silver; in my case, has a block on the end but could be a big spliced eye if you wish.

The line on the reel is what I use as a bridle, ie one end is passed thru the block and the spliced eye is held by the port bollard and the other end is fastened around the stbd bollard. For fast towing (20kn or so) all the line is used and when towing slowly the line is shortened and the excess goes back on the reel to keep the cockpit clear.

This was the only way I could see to make myself an adjustable bridle for towing that makes it easy to compensate for speed and be easy to secure to the towed boat and the towing boat.:-*

What about carrying a little auxillary motor as a pusher to get you home? then you wont need to worry ;D about tow ropes ::)

Cheers
Chimo

dnej
05-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks Chimo,nice stuff. No where to put an auxillary on my pods.
The issue I have ,is trying to reach my tow point,from the bow deck,while on the water.You need to have long arms.
David

fishingrod
07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
DR,
That is my main reason for my post.It happened to my brother,and he had a bad time ,trying to hook up.
Any one else I ask,that has been towed,all say,VMR ask the owner to hook up.

I for one couldnt reach down that far,even with the wave breakers removed.

VMR must have trouble getting in that close.
David

Being a "VMR" skipper in NSW our group was normally told that the vessel owner (or controller) must attach the tow line.

Its all sorts of insurance issues. If the rescue boat crew attaches it and it damages the stricken vessel who is to blame. If the line strangely detaches from the stricken vessel and it gets washed into the rocks or hits another boat who is to blame etc etc

There is so much crap that goes on. We were not meant to attach the towlines to the other boat, however i was often giving advice to the sticken boats as some of them had no idea. Almost holding their hands. Sometimes its almost easier to attach it yourself (wink wink) Luckily most jobs we did were in mostly calmish water. Rough weather jobs need (unofficial) improvisation to get the job done, or enough to tow into calmer water and re-rig/re-position towing lines

The best results we normally had was using a bride, attached to each corner on the stern with the tow rope secured RIGIDLY in the middle of the bridle. The sliding tow rope idea looks good, but once it slides to one side it tends to pull that stern quarter of the rescue down into the water. Every boat will react different and there are many ways to do it. Im not saying this is the best way.

As a side note it is interesting being pulled across the bay at 40 - 50 KM/H in 20 knt + winds
We have towed vessels such as 20" Bayliner bowriders @ 20 knots with a 7m Sharkcat in the calm. Different story in the chop !

cheers
Rod

dnej
07-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Rod,
Well,that answers that question.
I need to attach a permanent paynter,to the bow winch point ,and have it on hand,for emergencies.

It can double as the launch and recovery rope.
Thanks
David

disorderly
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Its all sorts of insurance issues. If the rescue boat crew attaches it and it damages the stricken vessel who is to blame.

cheers
Rod

There may also be some concern in a pitching sea that the rescuer risks being injured or crushed in between the boats by trying to attach a line to the winch eye.

Chimo
07-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi David (and Rod)

just to add a rider to the set up in the photo with the pulley block.

That set up pictured is used by me to tow my tinny behind my vagabond and David I was not intending that you consider the use of a pulley block in your set up; just a "d" thru your bow eye with about a bit less than a boat length of line (so you cannot foul it on your own prop) with a sliced eye at the end.

Cheers
Chimo

dnej
07-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Chimo,
Yep,Understand
Thanks