PDA

View Full Version : Changing water pump impeller on 15hp

FreeWilly
03-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

I have a 15hp Johnson 2 stroke 2001 model that is due to have the water pump impeller replaced again. I normally have this done on regular annual servicing.

Can anyone tell me if this is a difficult job? I haven't got much experience with working on outboards so if its easier to get a pro to do it thats fine but I wouldn't mind having a go if its not a major exercise.
:-/

Hoping someone can give me some guidance,

Thanks,

Rodman
03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
M8

It is not as easy as you would think
Just getting every thing apart and then lined up to be put together
Get a expert to do it.

Ken

FreeWilly
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Will do.

Thanks Rodman,

Luc
04-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Have to disagree with Rodman.

Replacing impellers is not a difficult job.

If you do a search of "Boating Chat" you should find plenty of info.

Luc

Crocodile
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Easy enough job, I used to have one.
The screw in the gear linkage can strip, so have a spare ready.
Make sure that the water pipe fits properly into the rubber grommet at the underside of the engine, with age the grommet can become soft and squash shut rather than accept the pipe.

Owen
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
FreeWillie,
You're in luck.
I was looking in the laptop today and found the pics that I did for a water pump rebuild some time ago.
They dissappeared when ausfish did an update.

Have a look at

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=65554

It will give you an idea of what's involved before you start pulling things apart.
It was done on a 50 Merc.
Yours may differ slightly. e.g. you probably have to disconnect the gear linkages etc to get the leg off.

FreeWilly
04-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Geez, thanks Owen. That is a great info that will no doubt be useful for others as well. Thanks for your input too Crocodile. All good advice.

Dave_S sent me a pm and suggested I get a mobile mechanic to do the job first so I can see whats involved for next time. I did that and I'm glad i did. Turned out that the pump housing needed replacement as well. I would not have known this and probably would have only changed the impellar and gaskets so now at least I have an idea what to look for. The housing was not majorly damaged but wear was evident in the sealing area around centre of the housing where the shaft goes thru and the impeller itself was definitely in need of replacement. Put in a new kit with housing, impeller and seals.

I have to give the mechanic a wrap too. He was very helpful and explained everything.

Kit cost $75. Also changed the gear oil. Total job with labour cost $151 and it was done in less than an hour (would have taken me a LOT longer, especially first time) and was done at my home so I was happy with that.

Thanks all for your input.

Regards,