PDA

View Full Version : Two men, and a Canoe........

Damned67
03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
OK, so maybe we're not both men, but I've been putting much thought into the concept of taking my 13 year old son camping, with the primary goal of fishing. Basically, getting out of Brisbane for the weekend to fish.
We only have a canoe was water transport, so I'm thinking that a campground that's near the mouth of a river would be ideal??
So, for beginner fishermen, and inexperience campers, where might you suggest within a 2-3 hour drive of Brisbane?

Also, as far as camping gear, what would be the absolute neccessities?

Cheers!

And Thanks!

mako_5.2
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Harrys Hut Noosa River would be worth considering or Elanda Point if you want more ammenities

tunaticer
03-01-2008, 05:54 PM
If you want some salt water areas have a look at coochin creek and hussey creek near beerburrum. Heading north I would probably opt for somewhere east of tin can bay on the inside of Inskip Point to be out of the SE winds.

Best location I know of tho is Eurimbula Creek the next creek north of 1770.

Jack.

bungie
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Munna Point camping Ground, Noosa.
Right on the water, fair fishing, plenty of smooth water to paddle in, can throw canoe on car and visit Lake Catharaba (spelling) Elandia point, Harrys Hut, Maroochy river, not forgetting Lake Weyba up stream of the canals behind Muna point.
Tent and tarp, you need a reasable size tarp, lots of folks forget you need shade

Damned67
03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far!
I believe I've read a little about Eurimbula Creek, or at least, 1770. How far north is 1770 and Eurimbula Creek??

We've spent a weekend in a house up on Lake Catharaba, and while it was a great place, I'd love to be nearer to the ocean. What about down south? Evans Head? Ballina? Yamba etc?

The more time I spend thinking about it (camping and fishing), the more excited I become.
Thanks again!

tunaticer
03-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Eurimbula and 1770 are almost 5 hours north of brisbane taking it easy. Roads are now sealed all the way to 1770 and the road from 1770 road to Eurimbula thru the national park will handle a 2wd ute no problems as there are no longer any boggy areas anymore. To continue thru to middle creek however I would want 4wd just in case you get caught in some heavy rains while out there, it can get messy getting to and from middle creek.

Jack.

Lucky_Phill
04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Jack, I would have thought 1770 is 6 hours from Brisbane. It is 532k's from Springwood. allowing for a stop or two, 6 hours easy.

anyway, Eurimbula is a great little system for a canoe, but there are many others on the way up. Baffle Creek via Winfield, Litta Bella Creek etc.

But I think the suggestions of the Noosa area is great, even places likes Johns Landing. Mayeb you could head south and chase Bass and freshie stuff in the Tweed and associated creeks, but if you like the salt, Currumbin creek etc has camp grounds and easy access.

Phill

dinky
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Evans Head is a great spot Silver Sands Caravan Park right on the water.carry your canoe to waters edge.If you need any supplies about 8mins walk up the road,pretty cheap too.cheers dinky

Damned67
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!!