PDA

View Full Version : Help setting way points on Garmin GPS 72

plaztix
03-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Just got a new GPS 72 and am in the process of transferring some spots i fish into waypoints. This is my first GPS so any assistance is much appreciated.

I have opened up google earth and am getting the coordinates from that but they seem to be a different layout and i'm wondering if i'm doing it right.

I will use * as the degrees symbol

For the centre of mud the google point is - 27*20'12.99" S and 153*15'02.45" E

But when i try to enter this into the GPS the layout is completely different - 27*20.129' S and 153*15.024'.

The degrees is in the same order but the minutes and the rest (whatever the other symbols are for) are mixed up and missing??:-/

How should i be entering this coordinate into the GPS? does the order of the numbers have to change? or do i just enter it the way i have?

Cheers for the help.

Mat

plaztix
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Just found how to change the format, all good.

dogsbody
03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
It's amazing what you'll find when you read the instructions eh. ;D

Dave.

FNQCairns
03-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey Plastix just make sure the datum in your GPS and the datum used by Google earth are identical when you punch the coordinates in, otherwise you may be doing the whole procedure again.

cheers fnq

plaztix
03-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey Plastix just make sure the datum in your GPS and the datum used by Google earth are identical when you punch the coordinates in, otherwise you may be doing the whole procedure again.

cheers fnq

Cheers mate WGS 84, all good.;D

Crooked
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Plaztix,
I downloaded a free program called trackmaker. This allows you to transfer between google earth, the trackmaker program and then onto your gps. It means you can put a place mark in google earth, open this file in trackmaker and then transfer to gps via data cable.

I have the same gps and have found this very easy and useful. Something to think about anyway.

cheers, Evan

plaztix
04-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Cheers mate will look into it.

I spent 2 hours yesterday programing all my spots in. Hope i got it right or i might be fishing in Fiji on sunday.