PDA

View Full Version : New radio - smaller hole

reddybayfisher
03-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I need some direction - I got a new maine radio for Xmas - however the hole for the older one is bigger than the new one - so I need to be able to make a smaller hole to install the new one.....I thought of putting a cover plate over the big hole and then cut out the required new hole size - but am not sure how to go about this correctly....

If anyone can assist with specific ideas on how to tackle this that would be great......

Or if someone has an alternative idea that be great as well....

Cheers

Stuie
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I had that exact problem in my boat. Being an aluminium boat it was easy to get a piece of 1.5mm or 2mm aluminium and screw it over the existing hole. Then cut out a hole to suit the new radio and drop in it flush mounted in the dash. I painted the new piece of aluminium white (same colour as the dash) before screwing it in place and you can hardly tell its there. Might be a bit harder/different for a fibreglass boat.

FNQCairns
03-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Some electronics manufacurers include a blanking surround as an option so the customer doesn't have the excuse to not purchase their smaller unit. They might have one that suits your radio??

cheers fnq

reddybayfisher
03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Stuie - thanks for your response - does a sealant need to be placed anywhere - as my radio is exposed to the weather? My boat is aluminium - I am presuming I can pick-up some aluminium from a marine boat place.....

Cheers

Stuie
04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I ran a bead of sealant around under the new plate jsut to make sure no water would get into my cabin. Might pay to run a little around under the radio to if its not a nice tight fit. I got my aluminium from the scrap bin where I work. I'd say any boat builder would give you some. Good luck and sorry about the late reply.