PDA

View Full Version : help installing fish finder

billie boy
03-01-2008, 09:43 AM
hi all,
i just purchased a lowrance x52 my first ever sounder.im a bit conserned about drilling a hole so big through my transom it would be alot neater if it only had to be the size of the cable and not the connector. what is the best way and what to use to clip the cable to outside of the transom to the transducer. also are u meant to have fuse between the sounder to the battery or would a battery box with a cicuit breaker be sufficient.
any help would be very greatful
bill

ps how big a battery do i need for a fish finder and leccy motor

joeT
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
hi all,
i just purchased a lowrance x52 my first ever sounder.im a bit conserned about drilling a hole so big through my transom it would be alot neater if it only had to be the size of the cable and not the connector. what is the best way and what to use to clip the cable to outside of the transom to the transducer.

Depending on your boat config, I think most people run the transducer cable over the transom rather than through it. What type of boat do you have? Attached is an old pic of the back of my boat (prior to sounder install, but will give you an idea), showing the speedo pickup and how the wires are run. They use little black clips to hold the cable in place and then it goes up and with the engine/steering cables through the big rubber grommet with the rest of the cables. If it was a tiller I would just run the cables over the transom, unless there was somewhere I could neatly put a hole and grommet.

also are u meant to have fuse between the sounder to the battery or would a battery box with a cicuit breaker be sufficient.
any help would be very greatful
bill

ps how big a battery do i need for a fish finder and leccy motor

The sounder should come with a fuse and this should be used between the sounder and the battery. The fuse will be a very small one (~3amps) and this is the level of protection the sounder will need. The circuit breaker is likely of larger capacity (10amp +) which would cut in too late to save the sounder.

Size of battery really depends on what leccy you have (and boat you have), how much you want to use it, and for how long. Bigger and more capacity the better, but of course within weight and cost considerations.

Tailortaker
03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I have a 3.9 Quintrex and the cable is just run over the transom, It doesnt look to untidy and is'nt in the way at all.
Cheers TT

Swamp
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Just run it over the transom. I used the square stick ons, rubbed the ally back with wet and dry before sticking them on, and they've never come off. I run the cable in the split cable protection ( any auto leccy ) and havn't had a problem.

FreeWilly
03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I ran the cable over the transom on my tinnie but I ran it through a short length of electrical plastic conduit (with ID just large enough for conector to fit through). Attached the conduit to the hull with conduit saddles at each end that fit over the conduit and screw to the hull with small 316 SS screws with washer and nylock nut on inside of hull. Put sicaflex on the screws to seal and it made a neat job and protected the cable from just above the transducer to the top of the transom.

billie boy
04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
thanks everyone for there replies,my boat is a 385 quintrex i definatly think ill just go over the transom instead of boring a 22mm hole through her. does anyone think the stick on clips will stay on a painted hull?

dogsbody
04-01-2008, 01:20 PM
They'll stick mate, just give it a good clean before hand.

Dave.

Kleyny
07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
you can always use a good quallity silicon. run a line from mount to top of stern.
this will also stop any kind of flap between sticking points.

neil