PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS172 C Blue Charts Interchangeble

seamaid
03-01-2008, 08:54 AM
HI Boaties
2 x garmin gps units purchased 3 weeks apart, come with Garmin Blue Chart MPC414S ---V8.5
Mackay to Twofold Bay
Both units initialized 10nms apart on land base (home)
My fishing partner who is not enthusiastic putting way points in & having a much larger boat we decided to use the chip out of the smaller boat to go out much wider.
However we found the chips were not transferble between the 2 sets WHY WHY.
Of course we got my unit & on our way.
Has any one experiance this situation or has a answer
cheers ged

outsiderskip
03-01-2008, 09:09 AM
ged
ids say that the chip
is only programmed to 1 set

pete

outsiderskip
03-01-2008, 01:42 PM
hi ged
email garmansee what they say

pete

seamaid
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
yeah pete, good idear i thought some one might have come across this before
get a chance ,i go visit the garmin dealer up our way.
let you know
ged

Owen
03-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Why are you saying that they were not compatible?

Do you mean the waypoints you saved in unit A, were not there when you put the map in unit B?
If so that's probably because the waypoints are stored in the actual unit, rather than on the map card.
From memory you would have to put an SD card in your unit, save the waypoints to that and transfer them to the other unit.
It wouldn't surprise me if the map cards are write protected so you can't accidentally stuff them up.

seamaid
03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
thanks owen
yes i was trying to put chip ( A ) into unit B ,i will take the whole unit and just slip into his frame.
ged

BaitThrower
04-01-2008, 01:02 AM
I think it is because each GPS unit has its own special ID number and that number is transferred to the chip when you use Mapsource or similar program... or something like that... so when you go to use the chip in another unit, it detects the GPS unit ID is not the same and wont let you use it.

honda900
04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
seamaid,

I am assuming that you are able to see the detailed charts but not the waypoints that you have in the other unit. if this is the case then the unit id is not really an issue otherwise it would prevent you from using the maps all together.

the garmin gps 172c has an option in the menu to transfer way points to the data card, this being the case I assume that the waypoint data is stored in the units physical memory as opposed to the data card.

given that the option is available, you may be able to save the data to the data card and change the data card into a different unit and see your marks.

Another way to do it is to use mapsource, but you will need cables for each of the devices to transfer marks, this allows you to store the gps data on your home computer, its a very nice piece of software.

Regards
Honda

Hi All

Baitthrower is on the money. With Bluechart (and most other Garmin products)Garmin make you "purchase" an unlock code for both your Mapsource install and then another with each GPS unit. The unlock codes for each GPS unit are unique, where as with Mapsource you can install on several PC's. If you wanted to use your mates GPS you need to buy another unique unlock code for your Bluechart. The codes are generated off embedded data in each GPS. Makes for expensive mapping as well as not easily transferable. Garmin will give you a new unlock code for a new GPS if you can prove purchase for both sets and will decommission the old set. Some great new 3d stuff for Garmin units now, but it is very expensive

Cheers

A

seamaid
04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
8-) Thanks AGE & HONDA
Yes i appreciate the information given, the easy way out is to take my unit out of the cradle & place into identical cradle in the bigger boat.
maybe over a few stubs start entering waypoints & delete them when he decides to sell the boat
cheers ged