PDA

View Full Version : Furuno 1650 WF problem

Thebuffalo
02-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey folks, have the above fitted in my boat. Managed to loose the transducer (don't ask), anyway since this the GPS function is having problems getting a fix. It comes through intermittantly but is not continuous.

The cable for the transducer is still fixed to the back of the transom, was wondering if this would be shorting the system and giving it problems? Maybe it is coincidental and the GPS is on the way out?

Any way of testing it??? Have tried to find the plug for the transducer and disconnect but am not sure if it is the right one. Have the GPS hooked up to the same power source as the anchor winch (power surge maybe causing problems?).

I live remote so going into a dealer is not really an option.

Maybe time for an upgrade, I really am not happy with the transition speeds between screens (gps mode) anyway.

Penny for your thoughts.

Cheers

peterbo3
02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Buff,
Not good practice to have any electronics hooked up to either start battery or a battery which supplies a device such as an anchor winch. When you use the winch there is a draw on the battery with subsequent major voltage drop. When the winch is turned off a spike occurs as the voltage returns to normal. Sounders & radios do not like this & damage may result over a period of time. Suggest you hook the winch up to one of your start batteries as the winch power draw will be similar to your starter motor.
Can you hook the unit up to another Furuno GPS receiver & see if it makes a difference? These are a fairly old unit & it may cost more for freight & a diagnostic check than the unit is worth. Plus the repairs, if needed, will not be cheap & you will still have an older GPS/Sounder combo.

Thebuffalo
02-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks Pete.

That little voice in the back of my head was telling me the same sort of thing.

I will probably go for another sounder.

I am currently running Maxsea through my laptop so it would be good to get the plotter working well enough to get the data through to that. Shame about the transducer.

Might have to bite the bullet and get another.

Cheers