PDA

View Full Version : Old Fishing Habits That Die Hard

Poodroo
02-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Thinking back to my early years I remember the techniques that were used to catch fish or not catch fish and one thing is for certain that compared to now I have learned so much and the techniques I use are so much more advanced and different eg: I use plastics these days instead of bait. But there is a habit that I used to have which is very hard to shake which is using a lot of strength to set the hook. Often I have tried to jag a good size snapper in the bay and to make sure it doesn't get away I give that tug on the rod to set the hook in and then "PING" he's gone with my jighead and yet another plastic. How do you over come the urge to do something wrong when fishing? I am happy to not however that I eventually did stop the habit and have caught some nice fish since having shaken the habit. Who else has a habit that has stuck with them? Another habit I used to have was using rods that were much too heavy and stout for the fish I was targeting. Once again I fish much lighter these days.

Poodroo

finga
02-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Good topic Poo...
I just can't stop the urge to use real prawns or live yabbi's for bait. I know I should learn how to use plastics and lures but....

I just can't stop the urge to just let the bait drown on it's own whilst I'm lounging around watching the world go by waiting for a dumb fish to hook itself whilst having an occasional drink and an Anzac or SAO with cheese and vegemite instead of working the bait.

I just can't stop the urge to stop using the old 4" Alvey (with mono) in the creek instead of the whizz bang spinning and casting reels (with braid) I have.

I just can't stop the urge to use $30 fiberglass rods when I have who know how many $ of graphite rods in the rack.

I just can't stop the urge to just drift along (all day if possible) seeing what pops up instead of finding structure and working it.

I just can't stop the urge to have a good natter with who-ever's, what-ever's in or near the boat (even if it's a seagull) instead of staying silent so I don't scare the fish.

I reckon they're not really problems though. I'm just a slug when I go fishing I suppose ;)

straddie
02-01-2008, 08:18 AM
gee with habits like those finga you must be getting old :)

PinHead
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I am the same as you finga..I have these whizz bang things called spinning reels..see so many posts on here about maintaining them..using this and that..what is wrong with just dunking it in the water before you start..when you get home you just leave it on a bench then grab it for next trip..damn I love my Alveys.

As for plastics..tried and failed..too much work invloved..I also prefer to chuck the bait in the water and wait.

NAGG
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
My number one habit that goes back to when I first started earning a $ ..... Is to buy the latest & greatest::) :P ..... & I just cant seem to break the habit! ....... NOT THAT I REALLY WANT TOO;D Nagg

ffejsmada
02-01-2008, 11:03 AM
A bad habit of mine that is slowly dying is not using my scissors enough and using my incisors instead.

Not good, my fangs are rounded now!>:( very blunt!

I am getting better though, and learning slowly. Where are those scissors????;D

Jeff.

blaze
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Good topic Poo...
I just can't stop the urge to use real prawns or live yabbi's for bait. I know I should learn how to use plastics and lures but....

I just can't stop the urge to just let the bait drown on it's own whilst I'm lounging around watching the world go by waiting for a dumb fish to hook itself whilst having an occasional drink and an Anzac or SAO with cheese and vegemite instead of working the bait.

I just can't stop the urge to stop using the old 4" Alvey (with mono) in the creek instead of the whizz bang spinning and casting reels (with braid) I have.

I just can't stop the urge to use $30 fiberglass rods when I have who know how many $ of graphite rods in the rack.

I just can't stop the urge to just drift along (all day if possible) seeing what pops up instead of finding structure and working it.

I just can't stop the urge to have a good natter with who-ever's, what-ever's in or near the boat (even if it's a seagull) instead of staying silent so I don't scare the fish.

I reckon they're not really problems though. I'm just a slug when I go fishing I suppose ;)
and the older I get the more I enjoy all of the above, just a simple life with simple needs.
cheers
blaze

PinHead
02-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I remembered one that I am glad i do not have to do now..row...tow boat broke down on one club trip..rowed from Short Island..through Mackenzies then Whalleys Gutter then back to jacobs Well..2 blokes in a 12' wooden dinghy

charleville
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I reckon they're not really problems though.

Gee, I wish that Ausfish had the facility to register two or three times on "Thank you for this useful post" to your comments, Finga.

I have to admit that most of the fishing reports that I see here make the gentle pastime of fishing seem like work with objectives, goals, targets, "stretch" targets, "manage-to" budgets, productivity improvement projects and all that kind of stressy stuff.

It is a bit like when a man retires and time is no longer a matter of urgent importance, his colleagues will present him with a watch. Why????:o

Fishing is when you should take the opportunity to get away from all that stuff. Drifting along with a bait in the water sounds pretty blissful to me. 8-)

Poodroo
03-01-2008, 06:18 AM
I just thought of another habit that I don't do but have been with other people in their boats that do do it. It's the urge to try new grounds before you have given the current one a decent go. Funny how if a fish hasn't latched on in 10 mins how they say "It's quiet here, let's try somewhere else!" and you spend all day on the move and not fishing.

Poodroo

tigermullet
03-01-2008, 06:38 AM
A bad habit of mine that is slowly dying is not using my scissors enough and using my incisors instead.

Not good, my fangs are rounded now!>:( very blunt!

I am getting better though, and learning slowly. Where are those scissors????;D

Jeff.

Years ago a dentist convinced me to begin using nail clippers to trim or cut line. Hang them around your neck with cord if necessary. They work and might save a shattered or split tooth. His stories of the number of times that he had been called in on a weekend to fix his fishing mates teeth were enough for me to begin the practice.

tigermullet
03-01-2008, 06:49 AM
I agree with Finga and PH. Alvey reels are the way to go. Fishing life has improved considerably since chucking all those bells and whistles reels in the bin and going back to Alveys. I cannot convince a friend to do the same - he seems to love spending his time on the water tinkering with jammed reels, back lashes, incredible tangles and then going home to spend hours on maintenance. Bag limits mean nothing to him - he hasn't got a prayer of ever reaching the limits.

reelemin1974
03-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Probably my worst habbit is asking my wife if I CAN go fishing.....I know I will shake that soon!!

mad_pierre06
03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Skull dragging. Used to go straight in and tighten up that drag as soon as i heard the ratchet going off. Learnt the error of my ways the first time quite a few years back when out on a charter boat, i hooked onto what turned out to be a 15lb Samson and was heading straight to turn up the drag when the skipper quite clearly pointed out the error of my ways (Don't touch that f**ken drag) :D . He was pretty good about it actually. Anyways, he helped me out, pointing out how the drag was supposed to work and so on, just letting me know, "Let him run, then when he stops running, that's when you wind".

Best piece of advice I ever got, and I still find it hard to keep that in mind when i'm just fishing the estuaries or whatever and have a bream or the like on my line.::)

Poodroo
03-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Probably my worst habbit is asking my wife if I CAN go fishing.....I know I will shake that soon!!

Haha I can so relate... these days I just say "I'm going fishing!" but give at least 48 hours notice. :D

Skull dragging. Used to go straight in and tighten up that drag as soon as i heard the ratchet going off. Learnt the error of my ways the first time quite a few years back when out on a charter boat, i hooked onto what turned out to be a 15lb Samson and was heading straight to turn up the drag when the skipper quite clearly pointed out the error of my ways (Don't touch that f**ken drag) :D . He was pretty good about it actually. Anyways, he helped me out, pointing out how the drag was supposed to work and so on, just letting me know, "Let him run, then when he stops running, that's when you wind".

Best piece of advice I ever got, and I still find it hard to keep that in mind when i'm just fishing the estuaries or whatever and have a bream or the like on my line.::)

Another habit I was guilty of but grew out of. Glad I am not the only one to have done this. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

mad_pierre06
03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Another habit I was guilty of but grew out of. Glad I am not the only one to have done this. ;)

Regards,

Poodroo

I find that i enjoy my catching more through letting them run and have their mad dash for freedom. Unless of course it turns out that the mongrels had a nice snag or rock waiting to bust me off. ::)

plaztix
03-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Buying more rods, reels, lures, plastics and tackle when i've already got a shed full of it.

Lovey80
03-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Poodroo that is my pet hate too mate. Especially the guys that take the time to prepare burley. It's barely taken enough time to start working and your off to the next spot. Could use a tone of burley and not bring one fish to the bait. My first rod that I bought as a young teenager had an alvey and now my bad habit is remembering I cant chuck my good gear in the sand anymore. Alvey still has its place for me though.

Chris

Lovey80
03-01-2008, 11:22 PM
reelemin1974, I have been using this philosiphy/fact throughout my whole life and although it has got me in trouble from time to time it has afforded me some excellent days fishing and at work has got a hell of a lot more done. I actually should have it as my signature. You may have heard it before but have a think about it next time a decision comes up...........FORGIVENESS IS FAR EASIER TO ACHEIVE THAN PERMISSION. It can be applied to every aspect of your life with great success :D

Cheers Chris

Flattie Assassin
04-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Buying more rods, reels, lures, plastics and tackle when i've already got a shed full of it.

I hear that..!!

mad_pierre06
04-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Not so much rods, but reels to an extent. But due to an obsessive nature, have more packets of hooks and other terminal tackle than i could use in a year, scattered at various points of the house and shed. Went through a phase around 10 year ago, prob. got around 2 or 3 dozen lures as well that didn't even feel the sweet kiss of water.

Again, hope i have beaten the habit.

Poodroo
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Probably my worst habit now that I am a soft plastics fisherman is seeing new colours and always buying them when I know what colours work and should stick with them. It is starting to turn out a little like stamp collecting.::)

Poodroo

breamnut
05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
buying more rods,reels,lures boats!
it was hard enough when i was getting $12 an hour and $350 a week now with my apprentaship only earning $7 an hour. geez its hard work.
i was recently paying off a daiwa rod and sol 3000 when the guy at the tackle shop offerd me a good price on a sol 2000. so i bought that aswell. and then i needed a rod to go with it and line ect you know how it goes

finga
05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
now with my apprentaship only earning $7 an hour. geez its hard work.

What did you start as??
Just remember the light at the end of the tunnel matey.
It's only 4 years...mostly ;D