PDA

View Full Version : Goldcoast Seaway (busted jetski Westpac rescue chopper)

russ81
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Hows it going guys

Went down the seaway the arvo to checkout the seas While i was there the Westpac chopper turned up, after moving down the other end of the spit i managed to see the reason they were there. In the drink was an overturned jetski getting smashed unsure as to what happened though.Just hope his insurance was paid up.

Russ

Marlin_Mike
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
justifys why people need saving from their own stupidity. Going out in that stuff...................bloody ########

Mike

mik01
01-01-2008, 06:22 PM
i heard on Nugget's show there was an idiot in the bay on sunday morning on a jetski.
that westpac chopper runs on public donations and of course, thanks to westpac mainly. it would have cost a fortune to pick him out of the water, which needs to be found elsewhere.
but there are always the odd person or two that decide to jump into flood waters, or surf huge swells etc everytime there is bad weather.

perhaps there should be like a state of emergency declared when we have weather like this, and anyone in the open water is liable to be charged with public mischief or something. might just deter fools like this.

finga
01-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Just send him (or her) the bill.
Might make him (or her) think twice next time.
Idiots.....

manchild
01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I read it in the paper that they engine stopped .The jetski was used to tow surfers out .They tryed to tow the jetski in afterwards but had to cut it lose .
George

Silent
01-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Just hope his insurance was paid up.

Don't think he (or she) run away with insurance to cover rescue bill or toy...
Truly idiot!!!

PinHead
01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I am going the other way..tow out surfing is common place..all the pro comps use it..a machine broke down..these things happen...same as having to get a tow when out on your boat...that happens nearly every weekend.

Marlin_Mike
01-01-2008, 07:38 PM
pro comps are run under strict conditions pinhead...................this was just idiots out in stuff they shouldn't have been in.

Just my opinion, but hit em with costs for rescue and see if they do it again

Mike

Flattie Assassin
01-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm with pinhead on this. Guys have been towing in to large waves for years now. They fly in from overseas especially for swells like this. And anyone who knows south straddie as a surf spot, would know that it would have been barreling like pipeline, literally. You could park a bus in the tubes. Broken down jetski. Not the first time it's happened. It's a shame about the costs of the Westpac chopper. But more than likely these guys are sponsored and it will all be paid up.

Good on em i reckon. Certainly nothing like that dimwit who had his boat in the seaway. ::)

FA

PinHead
01-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Mike ..some of the world's greatest surfers have been these "idiots" from the Gold Coast...I just wish there was tow in surfing available in my youth.

The Westpac chopper crews do a great job..but..if Westpac funds it all then I doubt it would make the slightest mark in their multi billion dollar profits..just a tax deduction for them..but thankful they do it anyway.

mik01
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Mike ..some of the world's greatest surfers have been these "idiots" from the Gold Coast...I just wish there was tow in surfing available in my youth.

The Westpac chopper crews do a great job..but..if Westpac funds it all then I doubt it would make the slightest mark in their multi billion dollar profits..just a tax deduction for them..but thankful they do it anyway.

and where do you think they get those huge profits from? us of course.
so the more this service costs, the more you and i pay in charges. do you think they would 'donate' this money out of their profits? haha...

Scott nthQld
01-01-2008, 08:29 PM
and where do you think they get those huge profits from? us of course.
so the more this service costs, the more you and i pay in charges. do you think they would 'donate' this money out of their profits? haha...

Only if you bank with westpac....:P

The people going out in this are just plain stupid, being an ex-surfer myself when I lived in NSW, I can honestly say these people have a deathwish, simple as that. Even pro-surfers wouldn't be game to go out in conditions like those, that break is just too messy and too unpredictable, if a case did arise where one of them were knocked out, there would be next to no chance in finding them in whitewater like that. All it comes down to is common sense, these people obviously don't have it.

nonibbles
01-01-2008, 08:43 PM
The biggest mistake the beach authorities made was to close the surf to all but "experienced surfers." i.e. not closed at all. It should have been closed to all so that those doing the patrols and rescuing are not subject to conditions that put their own lives in danger.
As for tow-in surfing: yeah it looks exciting, but it is necessary because human power is not enough to overcome the power of that surf. Good enough reason to close it down except for a fully catered event (i.e. properly vetted, properly supervised, insured and secured)

Scalem
01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I see either side of the debate on weather or not a jetskier should be in conditions like this. For one, Jetskis are more capable of handling such conditions as many of our boats, so we tend to view what it would be like from our own viewpoint - unless you are an experienced jetski rider, in which case I am not, so I reserve judgement. BUT you should have the common sense not to take something on beyond your own capabilities as with anything.

Greg, Flattie Assasin, my questions are, out of the jetskis used as towing vehicles how many are biting off more than they can chew in these conditions? How many are really that good or confident? Can the rough conditions cause the motor to stall or be swamped? Pardon the last question, I am asking because I really don't know. If an outboard motor can be swamped, maybe these things can??

Overconfidence can be your undoing as might be in this case. In anything potentially hazardous you do, there has to be a lifeline. A second parachute, a catchnet under a tightrope. Rescue helicopter or not, this person may never have been found.

Scalem

2DKnBJ
01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I think if anyone was able to get close enough or had a good camera to see who it is that is out surfing in these conditions i think they would find that they are the guys on the ASP world pro surfing tour.Whenever there is a swell running as it is now they high tail it from wherever they are in the world to surf in these conditions.

Cheers Dazza

PinHead
01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I see either side of the debate on weather or not a jetskier should be in conditions like this. For one, Jetskis are more capable of handling such conditions as many of our boats, so we tend to view what it would be like from our own viewpoint - unless you are an experienced jetski rider, in which case I am not, so I reserve judgement. BUT you should have the common sense not to take something on beyond your own capabilities as with anything.

Greg, Flattie Assasin, my questions are, out of the jetskis used as towing vehicles how many are biting off more than they can chew in these conditions? How many are really that good or confident? Can the rough conditions cause the motor to stall or be swamped? Pardon the last question, I am asking because I really don't know. If an outboard motor can be swamped, maybe these things can??

Overconfidence can be your undoing as might be in this case. In anything potentially hazardous you do, there has to be a lifeline. A second parachute, a catchnet under a tightrope. Rescue helicopter or not, this person may never have been found.

Scalem
Brian..they use jet skis for tow in on waves up to 30'..check some of the extreme surfing web sites..some awesome pics on them.
The surf at the coast the past couple of days has been great...I have been watching some of the cams..barrels everywhere from Snapper to Noosa...oh to be young again...would have had no hesitation in surfing in those conditions..the ground swells are absolutely fantastic.. South Straddie would have been one of the best rides around at the moment.

Skis are machines and like all machines they can break down and do...and alas not always at the most convenient place or time.

Sea-Dog
02-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Hows it going guys

Went down the seaway the arvo to checkout the seas While i was there the Westpac chopper turned up, after moving down the other end of the spit i managed to see the reason they were there. In the drink was an overturned jetski getting smashed unsure as to what happened though.Just hope his insurance was paid up.

Russ

With the posted strong wind warning, I don't think his insurance would come to the party anyway.

Like Superchicken used to say "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred"
;D

finga
02-01-2008, 07:17 AM
I am going the other way..tow out surfing is common place..all the pro comps use it..a machine broke down..these things happen...same as having to get a tow when out on your boat...that happens nearly every weekend.
Would this tow-out service be a commercial venture??
(I'd love to know how much this guy was getting paid by the few surfie dudes out there)
It would have to be considering the exposure and the fact they fly guys from around the world to do it. And the possible dangers.

That'll be a big difference to me in the tiny tinny and the prop falling off.

So if it's a commercial venture then bill the bugger and he can claim it on his tax.
As well as the buggered jetski.

Same goes for all high risk ventures.
Know the risks and associated costs if things go birko and then weigh up if you want to do it or not. If possible get insurance to cover all the scenario's.
That's why I had bucket loads of insurance when I was working. To cover all possibilities without me loosing the house if something went sour.

I will say though that the rescue chopper might have used this as a good rescue exercise. If so goodo, if not why bother??

shayne
02-01-2008, 08:50 AM

well said ;D

mik01
02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
i can't believe any of you can argue in favour of people putting their lives at risk and the lives of rescuers?
whether they are pros or not is irrelevant - the conditions at the seaway are bloody dangerous.
i suspect that the pros are further north where the waves are bigger - not at the seaway in that washing machine. check out these pics and some people who are attempting to surf http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/gallery/0,23816,5028546-17382,00.html

PinHead
02-01-2008, 10:07 AM
mik...have a look at pics 14, 21 & 36...great surf..there is nothing dangerous about that for experienced surfers..it is what they want..big swells and barrels...dangerous in a boat..yes..for surfing..a dream

they go out from the seaway to get the barrels on the southern end of south straddie...quite often see guys paddling across the seaway.

some of you guys must live in cotton wool and never have any fun.

mik01
02-01-2008, 10:58 AM
my idea of fun doesn't involve a date with a rescue chopper, which is why me and my boat aren't out in the bay today. thats also why I'm not on the beach and swimming in the water either.
'fun' is different things to different people. some jump out of planes and some play chess.
others put others lives at risk in pursuit of their 'fun'. they are clowns.

Flattie Assassin
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Yep Southern South Straddie used to be a semi secret spot that the pro's hit when conditions were right. The words out now, lots of surfers and bodyboarders paddle over. It's the best surf in QLD by far. They also are fully organised and have lost jetski's before surfing the likes of jaws in Hawaii and Teauhpoo.

Its all part of the business to them. To you it may seem like foolishness, to them it's there trade.

I'll post some pics up of south straddie in this swell when i come across a cpl.

FA

Jabba_
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I was one off those blokes your speaking about.. 20 yeas ago you could paddle to stradie and get perfect waves all to yourself... Now it's crowed big time and the only way to get a non-crowed surf these days is to wait for the big stuff to roll in, as that sorts the men from the boys... We would hang out all year for the Cyclone season to push in the big swell... The Seaway was my favorite spot. I just loved the way the wave jacked, and it made for an awesome drop straight into a barrel... Spewing that these days it no-longer breaks the way it use to. To much sand has built up in front off the seaway blocking the swell.....

I had a heap off steel removed from my legs on the 21st Dec, so Surfing off any sort is out off the Question utill all the screw holes in the bone completely heals over, and my leg recovers from the Op which will take about 6 weeks.....
But if I were surfing this season, Noosa "Tea Tree" would be going off.... But if the swell sticks around after the wind dies off, the Bomie north off the Seaway would be a top ride also...

Jabba_
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
i can't believe any of you can argue in favour of people putting their lives at risk and the lives of rescuers?
whether they are pros or not is irrelevant - the conditions at the seaway are bloody dangerous.
i suspect that the pros are further north where the waves are bigger - not at the seaway in that washing machine. check out these pics and some people who are attempting to surf http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/gallery/0,23816,5028546-17382,00.html
The truth is, most off these rescuers are adrenaline junkies themselves, and love the risk's they take to get someone out off trouble.... Off coarse there not going to say that in Public, TV or radio because it is not politically correct. But it is the truth....

subzero
02-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Gidday Russ, I suspect this is the event you witnessed.
If it is the same event, a number of the rescuers did put their lives in very REAL DANGER to help this bloke. In this event the rescuers themselves had problems with mechanical misadventure which complicated the situation they were already in.
In this instance, the bloke took his jet-ski out for a ride for the hell of it, it had nothing to do with surfers and towing them out IF of course it is the same instance. I do struggle to see this persons comment as being sensible and reasonable where he suggests "These guys were really cautious"... I would have thought that they were VERY HEROIC having undertaken huge risks to get this bloke to safety.... far from cautious, but a huge testament to the training these Surf Life Savers have undertaken as volunteers. WELL DONE BOYS, MY PERSONAL RESPECT AND ADMIRATION TO YOU'S ALL!!!

Read on, taken from the Gold Coast Bulletin
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2007/12/31/6400_gold-coast-news.html

Lives at risk in dramatic sea rescue

A GOLD Coast man put the lives of rescue crews at risk yesterday when he ignored gale-force wind warnings and took his jet-ski out for a spin in wild, treacherous surf.

Dave Winders is lucky to be alive after his jet-ski broke down about a kilometre off-shore from Currumbin Beach, leaving him floundering in huge seas.

Surf Life Saving Queensland jet rescue boat skipper Jeff Rainsford, who went to Mr Winders' aid, has more than five years experience in jet-boat rescues but was left shaken by some of the worst conditions he had ever encountered.

"The waves were coming down on us from all sides, whipped up from nothing," he said.

"I'm still a bit shaky after we hit that last white one."

Mr Rainsford said Mr Winders decision to head out despite the warnings put the lives of rescuers in unnecessary jeopardy.

"If they (the rescuers) don't need to go out, they shouldn't go out," he said.

"It was a risk that probably wasn't necessary. The bottom line is if he wasn't out there, we wouldn't have been out there either."

Mr Winders was not left stranded in the dangerous seas for too long.

Currumbin surf lifesavers noticed the stationary jet-ski and sent a jet-ski crew out to investigate.

With swells of three to four metres at Currumbin, the SLSC jet-ski couldn't tow Mr Winders' jet-ski into shore, so a three-man crew was sent out in the jet rescue boat to help.

But the already horrific conditions continued to worsen, with 30 to 40-knot winds whipping the sea into a frenzy.

SLSC Gold Coast duty officer Sue Neil said the low tide at Currumbin forced the rescue mission to move to Tallebudgera, but conditions there were also difficult, so they headed to the Seaway.

On the way, the jet rescue boat experienced engine trouble, leaving it to battle on with only half power.

The crew was forced to abandon Mr Winders damaged jet-ski.

"They couldn't maintain high speed and they didn't have enough power to get themselves out of trouble," said Ms Neil.

The crew continued up the Coast towards the Seaway in search of a safe passage to shore, but once there, it too, was fraught with danger.

The 40-knot winds had increased swells to five metres, with massive whitewash blocking their view of the Seaway.

A Westpac Surf Life Saving helicopter and a Waverunner 6 jet-ski were sent out to help in the rescue.

"We have never seen the Seaway like that, it was very rough out there, we just couldn't see where to come in," said Mr Rainsford.

He said the jet rescue boat was designed to handle rough conditions.

Waverunner 6 support services' David Clarke said the conditions were serious, but didn't deter him from 'getting the job done'.

"It was pretty hairy out there with big swells of 4-5 metres," he said.

"I was more concerned about getting the job done and getting back into the Seaway."

Safely back on land, Mr Winders said the conditions were some of the worst he had ever been in.

"It was pretty big and pretty wild," he said.

"We were very lucky to get out of that, it's a dream come true to be safe.

"It was quite scary until I saw them (the rescuers), and once in the boat it was still scary."

Mr Winders thanked the surf lifesaving rescue crew for risking their own lives to save him.

"These guys were really cautious and I owe it all to them," he said.

Surf Lifesaving co-ordinator Peter Anderson said the rescue crew had done 'an outstanding job'.

"To come in with half power was an amazing achievement," he said.

"Today is not a day to be out in the water.

"I saw them go through a wave that was more than five metres high. These guys are highly skilled and trained."

63eh
02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
just another f@#kWIT on a jet ski

subzero
02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Here are the comments made by the readers of the GCB so far.
I must concede that on the surface of it with what has been reported, if accurate I DO AGREE WITH THEM!!!

Here is a photo taken earlier that day of a jet-skier with a huge wave up his clackerhttp://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2007/12/30/weather_web.jpg

Mr Winders, or should I say Mr Idiot should be forced by the authorities to pay the full cost of saving his life. How would Mr Winders feel if someone died trying to save him? When will these fools ever learn?

Posted by: Robert Peterson of Southport 11:56am Tuesday
Comment 1 of 4

That person should be fined for putting people's lives at risk when he could see what the surf was like. For going out when you could see what the condition was like and the height of the waves and the swell of the water. Mary Glen Alpine NSW

Posted by: Mary Kerwin of Glen Alpine NSW 8:38am Tuesday
Comment 2 of 4

Was this man trying to prove what a brave and adventurous he-man he is? A hero? What he did was put the lives of our wonderful lifesavers at extreme risk. They put their lives on the line just to save his, because without them he would have certainly perished. I hope he commits a fair proportion of his income to that club for the rest of his life as fair compensation.

Posted by: Barry Mille 6:00pm Monday
Comment 3 of 4

If I had known when I sold winders that ski he would try and kill himself I wouldn't have.

Posted by: jeff pacey 4:32pm Monday
Comment 4 of 4

PinHead
02-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I love those people's comments.
The original post was about a ski in the seaway..not Currumbin ...which had been used for tow in surfing.
I also love the media's description of "huge" seas...they were wind swept but certainly not huge in surfing terms.

As I said before...the machine broke down..if that had not happened no one would have been any the wiser and if someone had been filming they would have all been watching it going..wow, isn't that great.

Did you also notice in the report that the SLSC jet boat also had mechanical problems..no one is abusing them for their equipment not being up to the task.

Have a look at the video on this site...incredible stuff..looks like a lot of fun.
http://www.towsurfer.com/default.asp

subzero
02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Gidday Pinhead, as I read it, this started in Currumbin and ended in the Seaway.
And yes you are right, the SLSC jet ski did experience problems. The comments from the SLSC blokes and I quote were

"If they (the rescuers) don't need to go out, they shouldn't go out," he said.

"It was a risk that probably wasn't necessary. The bottom line is if he wasn't out there, we wouldn't have been out there either."

As with regards to surfers getting towed out, and the experience level of those people... I have deliberately shied clear off this. I know nothing about surfing and respect those that work their way up to surfing in theses sorts of occassions.
If people whom are very skilled take these sorts of risks and things go awry then you can understand if they have trained and prepared for it. They train for it, they risk assess and so is the responses by those around them. The best example would be motor races, Indy, Panorama etc... very dangerous to the average mug racing around a track at 300km an hour like myself.
The difference is preparedness for those participating in the race, for all those involved including ambo's, fireys etc waiting for the forseen to happen.
I don't think for a minute that these events should be canceled because of those risks. How ever if a bunch of blokes get together and organize a race on a challenging circuit at high speeds with say a mate with a fire extinguisher and someone whom has a first aid certificate.... thats a different kettle of fish. I liken his preparedness. Even the blokes own comments lead me to believe that he himself admits it was not the right thing to do and again I quote

"Safely back on land, Mr Winders said the conditions were some of the worst he had ever been in.

"It was pretty big and pretty wild," he said.

"We were very lucky to get out of that, it's a dream come true to be safe"

I am afraid that it is unlikely that anyone will ever convince me otherwise that this bloke made some very bad decisions that could not be justified purely to go for a "spin".
In these instances a "Marine Incident" form must be filled out and forwarded to the authorities. They will investigate and if they decide his actions were contrary to the safe operation of his vessel as a Mariner, then he may even front the Beek.... who knows? Time will tell I guess

Cheers Lloyd

eth93
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Was the ski used for towing in, or did the dude feel like going for a leisurely cruise?
If any of you want to learn a little about tow ins, and just how much training these big wave surfers go through I suggest you get billabong odyssey.

mik01
02-01-2008, 11:25 PM
its strange how the original post went from being a man rescued from gold coast waters after his jetski broke down to some hero towing big wave surfers out to sea!!!!::)
its becoming clearer that he was just out for some 'fun'. at least he wasn't wrapping himself in cotton wool ey??:P

ps - Lloyd's right on the money with this one - those blokes who rescued him did a might job and I reckon needed a change of undies when they got back.

bondy99
02-01-2008, 11:52 PM
There always have to be a ######## putting other people's lives at risk

gawby
03-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't know how long some of you have lived on the Gold Coast or know anything about the Gold Coast but for the last say45 years i can remember every time there has been big seas, surfers, board riders and now it seems jet skiers are going out in these conditions to get their thrills.
I remember in the 60s when a board rider went in the surf at Coolangatta and hit shore again around Burleigh Heads.
He survived and no one was hurt.
I don't condone nor condem what has gone on but i think some could go to bunnings and get a can of harden up and have a good spray with it.
Everytime something goes wrong armchair bandits come out and knock what is happening without really having a good look at the situation.
Just remember Sh't happens and can happen so quickly to anyone in any place at any time.
I haven't seen posts of this amount knocking all the rescues that the lifesavers have made to those who have braved the conditions lately body surfing. They too have risked their lives to rescue the body surfers.
That's about all i have to say in this matter.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.

Graeme

manchild
03-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I found the article in the courier mail 30 december.That was the one i referred to.That rescue happened at 9:30 am at palm beach.There were 2 blokes .
George

mik01
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't know how long some of you have lived on the Gold Coast or know anything about the Gold Coast but for the last say45 years i can remember every time there has been big seas, surfers, board riders and now it seems jet skiers are going out in these conditions to get their thrills.
I remember in the 60s when a board rider went in the surf at Coolangatta and hit shore again around Burleigh Heads.
He survived and no one was hurt.
I don't condone nor condem what has gone on but i think some could go to bunnings and get a can of harden up and have a good spray with it.
Everytime something goes wrong armchair bandits come out and knock what is happening without really having a good look at the situation.
Just remember Sh't happens and can happen so quickly to anyone in any place at any time.
I haven't seen posts of this amount knocking all the rescues that the lifesavers have made to those who have braved the conditions lately body surfing. They too have risked their lives to rescue the body surfers.
That's about all i have to say in this matter.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.

Graeme

thats just the point - anyone who goes in the water in the current conditions risks theirs and other's lives. thats why the beaches are closed.
its not an invitation to jump in - professionals have assessed that its just too dangerous for the average punter.
as for hardening up, well you do that when you're dead don't you?

BAT
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Professional big wave surfer's look for ground swell predominately on shallow reef. Not the wind blown sloppy mess we are experiencing at the moment. Anyone thinking they are in this league by going out in this is a fool.

Cheer's BAT

kegman
04-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Thought I would add to this conversation as I was out with the skiier in question. It amazes me that so many people want to weigh into this debate. The simple sequence of events is that one of the three of us out there experienced some engine trouble and got washed off his ski. He was safely on the beach before the chopper arrived. This is not to detract from those people who do a sensational job keeping out beaches safe. I regularly contribute to the life savers because I know they are keeping an eye on me whenever I decide to go into the surf. As for all you people who feel the need to coment negatively, who do you think you are?What I decide to do with my ski is nobodies business but mine. I as the rider, understand the danger and the possible damage to my equipment. I have been involved in the rescue of a troubled swimmer on my ski so I know the risks involved and would do it without hesitation if the situation arose again.
It is great to see that some people out there can converse with intellegence, most likely from a position of experience. Some others should get some perspective.

kegman
04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
PS The ski was also recovered

udlman
04-01-2008, 08:09 PM
What I decide to do with my ski is nobodies business but mine. I as the rider, understand the danger and the possible damage to my equipment.

Ok, In that case you should be fully liable for the rescue costs. To run the rescue chopper you would be looking at $1500 - $2000 p/h . Not to mention the man hours to look for the missing rider etc.

You, your 2 mates and anyone who says that risking the lives of the rescuers is ok are a complete tools plain and simple.

Brad.

Jackinthebox
04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I am sick of the media blowing this whole thing out of proportion.

I have surfed here on the coast for 20 years and used to surf stuff like this whenever the opportunity arose. Nowadays, spending more time fishing, i am out of shape and recognise that i would not be able to handle it if i went out there.

You guys with no experience in decent sized waves don't realise how good these sort of conditions are on the points. Offshore winds with 2 - 3 metre pits only happens when we get conditions like this. Any fit and experienced surfer who has done his "apprenticeship" should be quite able to handle it.

Surfers are quite happy out in waves that would drown anybody else. The ill informed media never reports on the tons of people that surfers pull out of the water quite regularly. I know i saved plenty of "joe public's" that got into trouble in conditions that were barely big enough to bother going out.

Honestly, some people would drown in their own bathtub, they are that useless. So should we ban all these people from swimming in the ocean too? It's all relative. It all depends on what you are used to.

Just like i read about guys on this site reporting that they were out in their boat with 1.5 to 2 metre waves in the broadwater, bay, etc when it was only a messy chop of 1 - 2 feet. BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Some people have a very low fear threshold and it messes with their perceptions. They definitely need to go buy one of those bunnings cans of "harden the &*%$ up"

So please, don't beleive everything the media churns out on this subject, most of it is crap and completely wrong, full of assumptions and based on pretty much zero knowledge of the ocean.

Just finished reading another crap article about this stuff in the Gold Coast bullshitten, with a picture of a fisho "DICING WITH DEATH" on the rocks with a big wave bashing against the rocks in the background. Anyone who has any depth perception and experience in this type of situation could see he was in no danger and probably about 50 metres away from the wave in question. Not the know it all journo though, he/she was busy beating up the story with all the people out there in readerland nodding their heads in unison and saying to themselves "bloody idiot"

Chill out guys,

some of you are stressing about not fishing for a week or two? Bloody hell, I haven't been able to get out for nearly 6 months!!!!

Cheers,
Mick

BLOOEY
04-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Kegman is my sisters boyfriend and i spoke to him about this today. He felt the conditions were well within his capabilities and it turns out they were for he was able to help the other person that had a ski malfunction. He (they) did not call for a rescue, somebody else did. Unfortunately accidents happen but in this case there was 2 skis there for just such an incident. He is not a fool and did not head out alone. As much as jetskis annoy me some times they are made to crash and bash through waves and that is what they were doing. Ben

Poodroo
04-01-2008, 10:59 PM
If people are going out in such dangerous conditions as these and then requiring helicopter rescues then I think it is a sad waste of the donation money that has been given to the rescue teams. Let them worry about legitimate rescues instead of bailing out idiots.

Poodroo

gar26lw
04-01-2008, 11:26 PM
i used to have a ski and you feel pretty safe in stuff youd never take a boat into. saying that i took a walk down the spit and saw some dude out by himself on a ski and thought that guys crazy to be out in that. not cos of the conditions themselves but becasue of the situation you'd be in if your ski packed up just like what happened to that fella. its pretty obvious you've got all your eggs in one basket.
i think it comes down to common sense

horseboy
04-01-2008, 11:49 PM
From what i understand of the rescue business there is a big risk rescuing in any weather granted much higher in weather like this. Every few years there is extreme weather for the Sydney to Hobart and the round the world races but they are not stoped or banned. How many people get rescued during those events and almost all rescues conducted by australian rescue groups are never payed for by the rescuee. Most of these guys heading out in this sort of weather are better prepared for the swell wind and visability than most granted some fools still head out. But we still get fools head out in there cars in fowl weather when they have no need to leave home other than to have a look. I am sure the land based rescue groups have had to pull more people out of car wrecks the last few weeks than there has been sea rescues. Now next time you here of some one that gets picked up by the helo for a stroke or broken limbs or vessel that sinks be it through poor maintenance or navigation or whatever remember those people have just risked lives as well.

dogsbody
05-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Good experience for the chopper crew. This is there job idiots or not, good conditions or not this is what they're funded to do.

Dave.

Mayney
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
All,

A mate sent me this photo of Surf Lifesaving Queensland JET RESCUE BOAT 1 , escorted by a SLSQ JET RESCUE SKI, return a jet ski rider to the Southport seaway after recovering him from broken down jet ski off Burleigh Heads.