PDA

View Full Version : Fish of the year 2007

ffejsmada
01-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Sitting here thinking what my best fish of last year was.
When I say best, I mean most satisfying.
My most satisfying wasn't my biggest, it wasn't the toughest fight, it was the fish that pleased me most to catch.

My fish of the year was a Diamond Trevally, wasn't a big one, only went 43cm.

The first one I caught was an incidental catch. Then I targetted them. I ended up catching 7 for the year, in a period of a month, all were released.

To target a fish and then go catch them is one of the most satisfying things in fishing I reckon.

What was your fish of the year 2007??????

Cheers Jeff.

Leighton
01-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Mine was a Long tail tuna, we chased them around the bay for weeks. Tried everything with no results, invested in just about every metal slug there is on the market. We had 20 plus kg LT boiling up not 5m from the boat and still couldnt entice one.
Finally after weeks of trying, countless $$ on slugs, different braid, different leaders, new rods and a couple of hundred in fuel I landed one.
No big Horse but a great relief, fingers crossed these SW winds have pushed them into the bay for a few months.
A 25g Gillies Pillie in White did the damage

Flattie Assassin
01-01-2008, 05:23 PM
My most satisfying catch this year would be a 34cm Bream to fork. Weighed 1.1 kg. It was a memorable catch because i specifically went out land based to target some bream on plastics.

wags on the water
01-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Mine would've been this Mangrove Jack at Murphy's reef.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=112646

finga
01-01-2008, 06:14 PM
this one http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_136.gif

But the next picture was a great catch just because of the company (Good sole that one Dave) and the story that went with the end of that day. I think that was the only fish caught that day http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_32v.gif

And the next was also a great catch but only because I took TOL fishing that day and I laughed and laughed at his lies http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_219.gif

There were lots of other great catches with blokes like Marlin Mike (that rod hasn't broken yet mate) and a few others.
But to me the catch is the story behind the day not the actual fish.
Mind you though I'll claim a Kodak moment when I can.
Bye for now http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_39.gif

Poodroo
01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Tough choice really. I caught my PB Snapper at 73 cms but I think this Yellow Tail Kingy would probably have been close to being the best I have caught in 2007. (And yes that is what was left of the reel sitting on its back which broke off at the base during the fishes last swim) The fish had to be dragged in by hand the rest of the way.
http://www.ourfishingphotos.com/data/media/11/YTKingfish12-9-07.JPG

Poodroo

PinHead
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
no fish of the year...but any day out on the water is a good day.

imnotoriginal
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree with you there Jeff. Going out and catching specifically what you were chasing when you've chosen the method/location etc. is the most satisfying catch. For me it was this fella, first time I'd used the soft plastic worms and had spent a bit of time the night before tying the rigs and reading up on what structure to cast them into etc. I'd also just recently bought the camera and was determined to get an action shot that morning. I only caught two just legal bream, but it was a very satisfying morning.
Joel

Shun-the-nonbeliever
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I have two.

My saltwater fish of the year was a small gold spot cod from Wello in August. Why? It was caught on my first ever cast using soft plastics.

While I caught the fish I've been 'hooked' on plastics ever since.

My freshwater fish of the year was my first barra metery of 114cm (estimated around 24kg) caught at Monduran in October. Biggest fish I have ever caught!

2007 was truly a great fishing year!!

Shun

ON-THE-CHEW
01-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Tried to split them apart but couldn't, I got three pb's last year. One a snapper off Straddy 91cms, a Longtail tuna off peel 118cms 11kg and a Spangled Emperor I caught of Tweed 79cms 5.3kg.

Hopefully I can upgrade all of these this year, but I am going on a Nomad trip in may so Im pretty sure the same time next year some of my pbs will be MUCH MUCH bigger.

Andrew

youngy555
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
finally caught myself a jewie. spent countless nights live baiting the harbour, working the beaches with no luck , sunday afternoon a few weeks back fishing the river at hexham for flatties with prawns and was gifted with a nice jewfish, not a monster but alot of fun on light gear, what a feeling when stuff like that happens ey

plaztix
01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Bloody hell OTC, thats a hard list to top, nice fish.

My fish of the year - 69cm snap on 10lb gear. not gonna post a pic cause it looks like bait next to OTC's.:P::)

reelemin1974
01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
49cm Mangrove Jack Caught very early last year(2007)

jtpython
01-01-2008, 11:08 PM
32 kg spano the weekend after Anzac day

jez and suze
02-01-2008, 06:15 AM
mine would have to be my long tail caught off wello.
i sure hope 2008 will let me top this one.

Jeremy
02-01-2008, 06:41 AM
My best fish for 2007 would have to be my first threadie from the Brissie River. Have made about 8-10 trips over the last two years trying to catch one, and finally with a bit of help, I got a good one 122 cm.

Second best would be a 45.5 cm bream.

Jeremy

ffejsmada
02-01-2008, 08:57 AM
There's been some great fish caught by you blokes that's for sure ranging from Joel's bream on plastic worm to Jeremy's Threadie.
That's what I like...........specific targets and getting that fish.
Makes me go all warm and fuzzy.....::)::)::):):):)

Jeff

Why-ting
02-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I had a ball in 2007. caught alot of fish and some nice specimens. This fish would not only be my fish of 07 but probably my best fish ever. First time i put the boat in and rod specifficly rigged with plastics for jews. Hit the brissy river mouth after some rain. Found Some nice arches pushing though some bait on a ledge and this fella jumped on. The fight was well over 30mins and on 16lb braid and on a 10-17lb loomie forcelite rod was a very satisfying catch to say the least.

Was good to have me mate Richy there to lift this thing in cause my arms were 3ft longer and i dont think i could of done it. Got a few snapps of the big girl and put her back in the drink and swam her for about five minutes before she cruised off back into the muddy depths. I had to sit down, charge about 4 bungers in 10mins just to try and stop shaking. Deffinately 1 fish i will never forget

Reefmaster
02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Some great captures there guys.

While I didn't get out fishing no where as much as I would have liked it turned out a pretty good year. I caught a few good fish that were pb's and had some really memorable moments as well.

first was an AmberJack from the hards which went 37kg on 25kg line. And then during the fraser comp caught a stonker Coronation Trout and also a 4.8kg Red Throat Emperor. To top all that off I targeted my first Red Emperor on a plastic and was rewarded with a 13.5kg beast and then followed that up with a 14.3kg and a 15.1kg Red on baits all one after another.

Turned out a good year and I'm hoping for another cracker this year (if the weather ever comes good)

Tight lines for 2008

Regards,
Greg

going_phishin
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey guys,
I couldn't decide which of these 2 were my best fish so I'll just have to put both up. The first is a Giant Trevally of 12.6kg on 3kg line which took 35 miniutes to land.
The other one is a Cobia of 16.4kg on 4kg line which took 1 hour and 45 minutes to land.

Cheers
Josh

bugman
02-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Why did I have to go after Greg??????

I'd like to say my first ever trout on the fly rod this year but I can't go past my biggest cray from the last trip over the West Coast.

It wasn't because it was the biggest cray but it was because of the effort I had to put in to get it. I was upside down for over 10 minutes with my mask flooding and 3/4 of the way wedged under a big rock with minimal movement. I still couldn't reach him and had to trick him into coming towards me. I missed him on the fist grab attempt and thought I'd buggered everything. But I must have made him mad and he charged back at me. I managed to get a hand on him and then spent another five minutes trying to extricate myself from my position while trying to hold onto the biggest cray I'd seen with one hand. As I wiggled out I went for second grip with the other hand but he managed to grip me with his two powerful eating claws and I swear he'd broke my little finger instantly. I couldn't get him off and ending up ripping the claw off which remain around my finger at the same pressure for the next five minutes. He wouldn't fit in my bag and had to wait for the boat to come to put him straight in while still being unable to remove the claw.

No-one had a camera so there is no public viewing. To put it in perspective it was at least 50% bigger than the big one in this picture.

Brett

baitwaster
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
As usual, I have been outdone by all and sundry. My best was not my biggest, but a small flathead from under the hornibrook bridge. It was my first ever on SP's and now I am truly hooked on plastic wonderbait.

webby
02-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Grinners, love catching grinners
regards

jrf1973
02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
It's probably cheating because I caught this on a charter.... But I was casting a slug whilst all others were bottom bashing.

It came to the boat reasonably quick and once it was at the boat... One flick of the tail and it just took off !!!

Still got goose bumps now just thinking about it.

Scott nthQld
02-01-2008, 01:43 PM
My best fish of 2007 would be the last fish i caught for 2007 on Monday the 31/12/2007. Not only was it a perfect day on the water with next to no wind, but the first time I have ever targeted reefies on my own accord, as all other times had been with a charter. I pulled in a 45cm Coral trout, out of 2.5m of water, what a thrill, fought like the biggest jack ever, nearly reefing me several times and all only 5km from the boat ramp. I never dreamed trout would be in so close in such shallow water.

LostNearBribie
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Mine would be a 44cm jack, my first, on 2kg braid, 4.5kg leader, hardbody, 1.25m of water. Don't think I will ever forget it.

Kayak1
02-01-2008, 02:19 PM
My first capture of a GT on soft plastics about 2 months ago. Now regularly target them at "my" spot. Great buzz! Boy they go!!

Cheers,
Steve.

fish_on
02-01-2008, 04:58 PM
have to say my 50cm jack caught early in the year. finally cracked the mark after a good 2 seasons chasing them

Pistol_P
02-01-2008, 05:39 PM
HA!!!....I put a post up about this in the saltwater photos...

Some great photos there boys.....Greg you are definetly the RED KING!!!!

My most satsfying captures this year were my land based ones of a 14kg Longtail and a 9kg cobia.....The rock fishing captures are always the most satisfying as the fish are earnt the hard way.

The snapper I caught on Benny's boat (seapup) was nice too.

Pete

NAGG
02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
2007 was a year where I cracked some PBs that will live in my memory for quite a while :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: But I''ll say my No1 was my daughter ( Hayleys) very first bream .... which was caught on a SP! .... I dont know who was happier( see if you can tell) , but it was a cracker of a fish .... that once a photo was taken at the ramp she wanted to release it ...... & so be it!18619 ...... I'm holding the fish because Hayley is Allergic to fish!

Then came a 8.5lb brown trout that was caught in the Eucumbene River at midnight -1 Deg(4 wt fly outfit & a 2lb tippet) in 12 inches of icy water...... with the fight taking the best part of 20mins 18620 Unfortunately it was unable to be released ... through bleeding excessively .

I also landed my PB bream on SP @ 43cm .....18625 very satisfying considering that it was taken from Oyster racks after running me in & out of the wash boards.

Finally after smashing my PB bass several times ( by 10-12cms) over two days at Cania in Oct ..... I managed this 47cm stonker at Monduran ! ... 18628 .... I don't care if it was taken using 30lb braid on a Classic 120 .... While targeting barra::)

So I can only hope that 2008 brings more of the same , with hopefully a barra , jack & Toga added to the new PB list:P Nagg

Pistol_P
02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Very nice fish Nagg....Hey have you fished up in Middle Harbour for Bream.
There are some absolute monsters up there past Roseville Bridge along with Jew if you are lucky enough.

Pete

NAGG
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Very nice fish Nagg....Hey have you fished up in Middle Harbour for Bream.
There are some absolute monsters up there past Roseville Bridge along with Jew if you are lucky enough.

Pete

Hi Pete ..... I haven't had the Hornet in the harbour as yet ( I'm spoilt being 5mins to 2 ramps in Botany bay::) ) ......... But I will once I'm back on my own 2 feet ... & off crutches!
I'm planning some assaults on Kingies (poppers) & some SP Jews during the coming months ....... & will probably venture up that way (& the lane cove) ...... Specially if I can get out of a week day:P
Cheers

Silent
02-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Mine was 75cm snapper PB on plastic I'm involving in darkside just more than a year...
Hopefully this year (2008) I'm targeting new species such as jew, jack or threadie on plastic...

bigdonk
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
This isnt the biggest but my fav photo... smile say's it all...

land-lubber
02-01-2008, 11:20 PM
80cm wild salty barra (my first) caught landbased on 8lb string around easter time

Jeremy
03-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey guys,
I couldn't decide which of these 2 were my best fish so I'll just have to put both up. The first is a Giant Trevally of 12.6kg on 3kg line which took 35 miniutes to land.
The other one is a Cobia of 16.4kg on 4kg line which took 1 hour and 45 minutes to land.

Cheers
Josh

They are both top captures. I take it you are talking pretest mono? Are you in ANSA (which club)?

Jeremy
Brisbane Sportfishing Club

going_phishin
03-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey Jeremy,
Yea mate Platypus Pretest was the line used for both and that is about the only line I use any more. I am a member of ANSA and am in the Bundaberg Sportsfishing Club.

Cheers
Josh

webby
04-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Some of best for 2007
1. grandson first fist
2 tuskie
3. snapper
4. jew
regards

bluefin59
04-01-2008, 08:43 AM
My most satisfying catch for the year would be when my wife caught a 48cm coral trout at the arty of hervey bay while i was rigging up my placcy she was using a 7ft tcurve witha diawa sol running 6lb fireline and 12lb fluro leader . We have had a good year so many highlights mine would be the hoooooo i got new years day 07 ...matt

T1
04-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi

By far my best for the year was the Spanish caught off Mud on a SP using 8lb Fireline, 16lb Fluro, 1/4 3/0 JH with a 5" Shad. Took over 40 mins to land after being down to my last metre of line. Hook snapped as we lifted it in to the boat - very blessed that day!! Still shake my head at that one!

The other was catching my 1st Mahi Mahi on a SP...

Been a very lean year for me due to work commitments but 2008 is looking far more flexible - yippeeeeeeeee....

Take Care T

kitty_cat
04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
07 was not the best year for getting on the water but managed a few rippers
best red for 07 13.3 kgs
not the biggest but best photo of hards snapper
first and only marlin for 07
wayne

slyman
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey some great catches and pics!!

2007 was a good year for me, I got to go on a charter with a good mate from work to catch my first barra which turned out to be a tiddler, but the one in the pic is my biggest of the trip. Caught on live prawn in the Haughton.

Also caught my first tuna, on my snapper/plastics gear from around Peel. Also a recent trip up to Hervey Bay saw me catch two Golden Trevs that gave me and my gear a good workout.

I've been having a hard time trying to catch a decent snapper lately, its been months since I've caught anything over 40cms, and its been even longer since my best at 55cm, but I was stoked to be on the boat and net duty the day my brother equalled his best of 80.5cm from the bay.

simon

Bear001
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
:thumbsup: Wow - nice fish...nice boats....drooling just sitting here....

You salties don't know just how spoilt for choice you are!!!!

My fave fish of 07 would have to be a piddly little biddy yellow belly that didnt rate a photo....reason.......1st fish in the new boat & first fish since having to have a 10month spell from fishing........................

BUT...here is my PB Yellow Belly caught at Split Rock trolling Jackall