PDA

View Full Version : Tow Hooks - Advice for Fitting

Marlin_Mike
01-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Well i just picked up 2 stainless toew hooks for my boat. To be used mainly for towing tubes etc.

My question is this - Do i need to put a backing plate inside to strengthen the transom. Or is it just a matter of drilling the holes and bolt them in?

My other problem - i have 2 breather outlets one each side of the transom. Can the tow hooks go inside them or should i put them outside the breathers and close as possible to the edge of the transom?

Mike

gofishin
01-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Mike, depending on sheet thickness of your top transom (3mm i'm guessing), best to use some backing material to spread the load. With factory s/hook options tinny makers usually use ~80-100mm offcuts of box rib (34x38x3 section or similar), but anything will do that has a bit of strength, even hardwood blocks.

Your breathers look to be in just the right place for the ski hooks too::) , & it doesn't look like there is enought room to install the s/h between the breathers & edges. I would install inboard side of both breathers, at about same height (gunnel will provide good strength).

To prevent eventual paint bubbling try a product called Tef-Gel. It is a specially formulated waterproof paste for preventing galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals, and does not break down in saltwater. Comes in a small tube & available from marine outlets. I have been using for a while & it seems pretty good.
cheers

2DKnBJ
01-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Mike
You could probably just drill the holes but i would suggest putting a decent backing plate in.There is a decent amount of pressure put on these point even when towing the kids around.These towing hooks would make a nasty missile if they were to pull out under pressure not to mention the damage it would do to the boat.

Cheers Dazza

Marlin_Mike
01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Cheers for the advice guys.

I was thinking of coming inside the breathers by 50mm each side, which should allow for a half decent backing plate on the inside.

I have a bit of 50mm wide flat aluminium bar 3mm thick. Maybe cut into 2 pieces 5 inches long for each side.

Mike

mickc
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Mike
Why don"t you just tow off the two bollards that are mounted on each corner .
I imagine that they are fully welded there .

Mick

Stubbie Holder
02-01-2008, 03:57 AM
"Mike
Why don"t you just tow off the two bollards that are mounted on each corner .
I imagine that they are fully welded there .

Mick"

It would be a great way to get rid of those pesky bollards!

Knotpretty
02-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Mike i tow biscuits/skis etc off the bollards. looked at fitting hooks didn't like the idea of all the holes in the transom. Mojo

Marlin_Mike
02-01-2008, 07:35 AM
the bollards are welded and probably would tow a tubeOK.

Hoks are on now, can also tow boats with hooks, bollards wouldnt hold the weight of a boat, tube yes boat no.

Mike