PDA

View Full Version : Fishing tips

bonzaboss
31-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Can anyone help me? I am new to the fishing game but have the bug. I have a 3.5mtr tinny and will be buying a much bigger boat next year hopefully. ( if the wife let`s me ). I have just spent a week away at Iluka in the Northern rivers of NSW. There is plenty of water and everyone was catching fish except for me. What are the best baits and rigs for Bream, Flathead and Whiting etc? I could use any help as i really need it.

oldboot
31-12-2007, 08:13 PM
##### mate, to get started fast good books are your friend.
the fishermans hand book by steve starling
Australian fish guide by frank prokop
and
Ron Calcutt complete book of fishing

those are the most worthwhile 3 I have seen, all still easily available.

Are good places to start.
It's more than just bait.

cheers

Jimbo73
31-12-2007, 08:17 PM
you said you were away at illuka. where abouts do you normally fish?

mangomick
31-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Use the lightest lead you can get away with to get your bait on the bottom. For whiting a running sinker down to a small swivel and a trace of the same size line or slightly smaller with small long shank hooks will always get a feed. Best to use iether yabbies 9youll need a yabbie pump) or sand/beach worms are the best bait. If you cant get them you can always use small peeled prawns.
fish the gutters on the sand flats at the first of the run in or last of the run out . You dont need much water.
If fishing rivers look for sand banks that are exposed and fish the edges of those.
Any mangrove gutters will usually yield bream on the run in. Fish the mangrove edges and around snags. Usually a snag in an other wise clear stream will usually yield good fish.
You can use the same rig for whiting or change to running sinker and go up a hook sizes.
For flathead have a look around at low tide in the mud to see where they have been lying and go back when the area is covered.strip bait or a small livie is ok with a swivel and stronger trace to prevent him cutting the line . Cast it out and slowly retrieve. lures and soft plastics can work really good.
bigger boats dont always catch bigger fish:D Better off getting good sounder to find snags gutters and deep holes
Good hunting

NAGG
31-12-2007, 09:25 PM
##### ...... The one bit of gold advice I'll give you ....... Is make sure you learn how to handle that bigger boat at the ramp! ..... Please:)
Nagg
PS .... If you are already proficient , ignore my advice & look for other more useful advice;)

ffejsmada
01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
##### ...... The one bit of gold advice I'll give you ....... Is make sure you learn how to handle that bigger boat at the ramp! ..... Please:)
Nagg
PS .... If you are already proficient , ignore my advice & look for other more useful advice;)

hahahah too true!!!

Mod11
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
bonzaboss, the first thing is to get this part sorted.." ( if the wife let`s me ). ".

Why does she have to let you ? A boat is a family affair and should be enjoyed by all. Does she fish with you... boating..... etc ? This type of stereotyping should be plonked in the " dinosaur " basket along with other myths.

A decision about buying a boat, car or whatever should be made mutually and not a master / slave scenerio. You either show disrespect to her or yourself with such comments. But this is only my opinion.

You will recieve good advice here and also fishing mags, TV shows, DVD;s , tackle shops, etc. Good luck with it all.

chilli

Leighton
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
best baits are baits found or caught in the area you want to fish. Fishing spots...fish where you caught the bait

reelemin1974
01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
FRESH Bread or any scraps left over from dinner the night before are good baits for bream, use light guage, long shank hooks and cast gently around trawler harbours, boats anywhere there is a good population of bream and burley quite a bit with the same baits, stale bread, sausages, pizza, the list goes on!

bonzaboss
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I live on the Northern end of the Gold Coast. Fishing around Hope Island, Coomera etc.