PDA

View Full Version : new to boating questions

BILLY THE KID
31-12-2007, 07:02 PM
ok im sure im not the only one on here thats new to boating, dont know my way round the bay as of yet etc .

maybe some of the more experienced boaties could put a few pointers on here for the newer people who arn't sure where to go , boat capabilities , KNOWN HAZARDS in the bay , quick easy fishing spots close to public ramps etc

maybe it would help build peoples confidence if they have some sort of idea what to look out for on the water

any comments and help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Bill

Fatenhappy
31-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Bill ...

Thought for the day !!!

Now here's an idea from an old fosile ...

Everyone these days has heard of road rage, but if there's one thing i've always found counteracts that around a boat ramp is offering to just "give a hand" .... no big deal to someone that just .... needs a hand !!

We have had one or two boats in our day, but the one thing I have generally found is that if "things" are "slowed down" , and people offer to give a hand around launch and recovery so that its done once and done right the first time, everyone involved is a whole lot happier.

How many times do you see someone around a ramp, either by himself or with the cheese and kisses, perhaps a couple of little ruggies and in a whole lot of hurt, surprising what comes back (assistance to you wise I mean) when you offer a hand for no reason .... just to help out

Cheers
Have a good day,
Greg

25_ponies
31-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Billy, there are quite a few good threads in the boating section on various locations in the bay (esp. the one at the moment re Mud and boat sizes).

If you are leaving from Wello, that's a pretty good spot for most boat sizes as it will let you explore the southern and middle parts of the bay without too much trouble. Keep in mind though that once you get out of Wello you are into partially smooth waters and the safety equipment changes (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Waterways/Smooth_and_partially_smooth_water_limits/swl_brisbane/)

If you can give us some more info on your rig, that will help with the answers, as the responses for a 3.75 open tinny will be different to those for a 6m plate boat.

Cheers,

Alan.

subzero
31-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Always plan on using 1/3 fuel to get where you are going, 1/3 to return and at LEAST 1/3 spare for tides, poor weather, miscalculations etc. If you cant meet this on your main tanks, then carry extra fuel. (Be aware some insurance companies wont like you carrying spare fuel).

Go out at low tide, take it nice and easy. If you run aground you will lift with the tide. (You may need to put your anchor out to the seaward side so you don't lift further on to a sandbar etc). At low tide you get to see the problems in your area. This is particularly valuable in areas such as Victoria Point.

If inexperienced, try starting your boating amongst the islands in the Southern part of the bay such as Macleay, Russel, Jacobs Well etc etc. If the wind cuts up rough, seek shelter on the other side of one of the islands.

When berthing.... NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP, this includes when launching. People can and do get cranky if you look and act like a dick head... If you make people aware that you are new to the fine arts of boating, they will be only to willing to help, even to impart their local knowledge on you in many cases.

Rightly or wrongly, you can and very well may be fined for carrying expired flares, fire extinguishers, lefe jackets or even epirbs.... EVEN IF THEY ARE IN ADDITION TO VALID IN DATE ONES. Meet your legal requirements and then some.

Always log on and off with your local VMR or Coastguard. The service is free and it may save your life one day.

Buy 1 or 2 charts (maps), call in to your local VMR or Coastguard and get them to show you how to read them properly. Once you have the charts, hang one in your dunny for you to study whilst whiling away the hours. You will always learn something new every time you sit and look at it. You will become very familiar very quickly with the beacons, contour lines and names of local features. So will your familly, not by choice but by boredom :-)

Their are 10,000 boating tips you can get, many depend on the size and type of boat that you have. Give the boys a bit of details about yourself, where you would LIKE to fish, your level of experience etc.

Enjoy your time on the water, their is nothing like the lapping of the water against the hull in the tranquil settings of the Bay..... when it is tranquil of course!!!!

Tea time

Cheers Lloyd

datamile
31-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Can anyone list the tourist spots and how easy they are to get to ?

I've got a 525 easyrider with 115 based at vicky point.

Mother in law is staying with us ;(.. any idea on good spot to see dolphins. How easy/long to get to amity or tangalooma, or other ideas. what about trips around the southern islands.

bonzaboss
31-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Bill i`m with you. New to the boating scene but as previous advice was given it is important to be patient and helpful. You will always get someone who is unhelpful or in a hurry yet i have found that 99% of boaties are very helpful and friendly. There is a lot of water out there so once you get in, enjoy it. Never be afraid to ask for help.

BILLY THE KID
31-12-2007, 07:57 PM
i have a haines 470 breeze with a 4 stroke evinrude 70 60 ltr under floor tank in it ( if this helps )

most of the time i will leave from wello as its 5 mins down the road

also have a 2 yr old so the weather really plays alot when the boat hits the water with the missus and midget ,

went from wello to huybers > green > huybers > peel and back to wello on just under 1/4 tank of fuel

i know horseshoe and wello are shallow on the low tides and a slow trip out through the leads is the go . The sounder is on most of the time when running over un familiar ground to be on the safe side

mainly to be used for fishing in the the bay around wello etc .

cheers for the replies ;D

Poodroo
31-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Best advice I can give is try organize to meet up with one of the more experienced fishos and follow him/her around for a day. Experience comes with practice really but it is always safer to have another boat nearby to keep you just that bit safer. I knew the bay well before I even owned a boat because of the number of trips I did with my brother and uncle over the years but it is different when you are the skipper. You do find yourself out of your comfort zone but it comes to you quick enough. My first few trips as a new skipper were always with other boats so that I knew I was going to be safer.

Poodroo

gar26lw
31-12-2007, 09:04 PM
get the beacon to beacon and the tide times books from local boat shop and have a read in the front, they have some good advice on safety, nav beacons etc..

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=113&item=9860&intAbsolutePage=2

i was down wello point the other day, i found that ramp to be sensitive to the wind direction. to start off i would go to rudy maas marina and put in there. that is a good ramp no matter what the weather. have a chat with one of the fellas there for some tips. they are very helpful and have taught me a lot.

jacobs well gets busy and when i was green i found that people could get a bit colourful.

I would go for the southern end of the islands like others have mentioned. a good spot is between russel isl and north straddie. the other good spot is the bedrooms and northern tip of south straddie.

as far as turtles and dolphins go i have found it a bit of a hit n miss but the best spots so far seem to jumpinpin area, blakeseys anchorage area and peel island for me.

if you have a 2 stroke be aware it will eat the juice unless its a hpdi.
i have a 40 ltr tank and take 40 ltrs in reserve as well in mine. sometimes 60litrs spare on a big trip.

datamile
31-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks

115 EVIN DI. Tank holds 94, but normally 40 + 20 in can just in case for quick trips, otherwise worried about stale fuel.

SgBFish
31-12-2007, 10:36 PM
i have a haines 470 breeze with a 4 stroke evinrude 70 60 ltr under floor tank in it ( if this helps )

most of the time i will leave from wello as its 5 mins down the road

also have a 2 yr old so the weather really plays alot when the boat hits the water with the missus and midget ,

went from wello to huybers > green > huybers > peel and back to wello on just under 1/4 tank of fuel

i know horseshoe and wello are shallow on the low tides and a slow trip out through the leads is the go . The sounder is on most of the time when running over un familiar ground to be on the safe side

mainly to be used for fishing in the the bay around wello etc .

cheers for the replies ;D

Billy i think Subzero has posted about all you need to know. With a 470 haines and a 2 year old I would hang around the sheltered southern end of the bay for a while. There are some great areas.

Remember to have fun. The weather links on this site are very good and worth watching when planning a day out.

Ask for help and almost all boaties will help.

Join your local VMR or coast guard as an associate member as they offer great courses and assistance.

Scott