PDA

View Full Version : ETECs and Current Day ULP with its Limitatations

Chimo
31-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Hi ETEC owners and others

A question for you.:-/

What is the impact, if any, of the present day poorer quality, short shelf life ULP on the new ETEC motors?

Perhaps its more relevant and a bigger issue where you may have had some older fuel going thru the motor which I tend to do from time to time depending on whats happening to stop the boat being used?

Perhaps leave ethanol additives out of the discussion as we assume its a no no for all marine situations in older and newer motors.

Could we get comments from those with direct experience as opposed to the sort of comments we sometimes hear from the mates sister who has a friend who was told by the hairdresser who heard it from a customer whos sister is having an affair with a guy (not an Ausfisher) who was told by his mates best friend's sister while she was getting her nails done ( she lives on the GoldCoast):-*
Any way you get he idea:)

Most interested in the 115 HP range ie old style carby versions that both run like trains, ;) always on time etc vs new ones especially if the new ones are a bit sensitive:-/

A Happy New Year to All, stay safe

Cheers
Chimo

Getout
31-12-2007, 09:48 AM
My Etec manual says OK for ethanol10%

deadbeatloser
31-12-2007, 09:56 AM
correct::)

Fish Guts
31-12-2007, 09:56 AM
i thought etecs ran on h2o ?

Jabba_
31-12-2007, 10:22 AM
The only impact you will need to worry about by using ULP is fouling the injectors. Altho it will take a long time to do that.... Just run a 98 octane fuel through the tank once in a while(1 in every 4-5 tanks) and that will take care off deposit built up in the injector tip.... You can even get the Evinrude octane booster an fuel conditioner. "4+2" I think it is called, and it is cheap, $17 IRC

Regards to premature-detonation (which will quickly destroy your motor) by using old fuel.. You don't need to worry yourself. Unless you sitting the boat for a few months. Then if that is the case follow the directions on the off 4+2 and you can sit the boat with a full tank fuel for 6 months....

All in all, there aren't any adverse affects by running the normal ULP....

Interesting fact!..... ULP in the USA is a lower quality 87ron as apposed to ours 91ron.. And the E-tec is tuned to 87ron fuel......

Jabba_
31-12-2007, 10:25 AM
i thought etecs ran on h2o ?
They do, but it is suppose to be a secret, and now were going to have to kill you...

Just tell us where you live and we will come get you...

manchild
31-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I run a 50 on the little boat.The most it sat there was 2 weeks ,no problems there.However the waterseparator is full after about 4 months .
George

FNQCairns
31-12-2007, 11:02 AM
The only reason an etec runs at all is because they micromanage combustion through altering spark timing and fuel, many times in the blink of an eye sort of stuff, an etec because of this has the ability to compensate for poor fuel, as best as designed into it's software.

This doesn't mean a 90hp etec with poor fuel will be producing 90hp like it should be on fresh fuel but it still should run smooth and be resistant to knock due to the software retarding the timing to suit, all of the dfi's must have this ability as the technology relies on one thing only controling knock and combustion temperatures with software.

Would be interesting to know at what stage the engine will still run but it's ability to control combustion parameters through fuel and spark timing etc ends and what it is programed to do at this stage.

cheers fnq

ALOGT
31-12-2007, 11:09 AM
You will find the USA 87 Mon is equivalent to our 91 ron. The states and Cannada use Motor Octane Number (MON).
I have used a fuel conditioner/additive in my fishing and ski boats for the last 17 years with no problems. If the fuel is getting old I will put in another dose before I use it.
Tony

Interesting fact!..... ULP in the USA is a lower quality 87ron as apposed to ours 91ron.. And the E-tec is tuned to 87ron fuel......

Steven78
31-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Can you use some sort of injector cleaner in DI motors?

Jabba_
31-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Can you use some sort of injector cleaner in DI motors?
The 4+2 fuel conditioner from Evinrude will do the trick

http://theoutboardwizard.bizhosting.com/_775613_8oz_2_plus_4_fuel_conditioner.html

Chimo
31-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks Guys for your comments.

Jabba, Where on the GC do you get the 4+2 Conditioner?

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
31-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks Guys for your comments.

Jabba, Where on the GC do you get the 4+2 Conditioner?

Cheers
Chimo
I have Seafarer, so I get all my stuff from Lindsay at the old seafarer factory behind the GLOBE surf shop @ Miami
You have a Seafarer Don't you?
If you have he will look after you. After all, your a member of the Seafarer family..

They re-open from holidays on the 14th Jan....

Chimo
31-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Jabba

I get oils etc etc from Lindsay but I never asked and neither he nor Ian ever actually mentioned the conditioner.

You are right about it being like a family tho and it has been ever since i bought the Vag; just sometimes it looks like we need to work harder on the communications!

I guess L and Fiji are getting on famously still.

Chimo

marco
31-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi ETEC owners and others

A question for you.:-/

What is the impact, if any, of the present day poorer quality, short shelf life ULP on the new ETEC motors?

Cheers
Chimo

chimo , just to add a point , the australian government enforced a minimum standard for fuel about two years ago which put a end to the crap singapore ulp that used to flood the market . my point is i believe the standard of fuel is better now as it comes from the refinery and of course the variable is when ethanol is added after .

mark

bustastu
31-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Being an ex mechanic and now owning a 150 etec, always use premium unleaded fuels..... Always.

northernblue
31-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Being an ex mechanic and now owning a 150 etec, always use premium unleaded fuels..... Always.

Why??
I seem to remember my etec manual saying not to use premium fuel.

bustastu
01-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Why??
I seem to remember my etec manual saying not to use premium fuel.

Hmmmm: Just looked through my manual. Nothing in there saying not to use premium fuel..

Premium fuel has a higher volatility to normal unleaded fuel which allows a quicker, more explosive and cleaner burn of the fuel which leaves less of a build up of carbon in the chamber and also provides a little more economy...

Lovey80
01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Getout, from memory after reading some good info on this site a few months back now. The problem with Ethanol fuel (someone correct me if I am wrong) is nothing to do directly with the engines itself. The engines should run fine on Ethanol fuel. My understanding is that ethanol works like a solvent and this sitting in certain styles of fuel tanks and fuel tank sealants etc eats away at it and its this that clogs the engine or causes the tank to leak etc.

For full details a search should clear it up.

Cheers Chris

Jabba_
01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Hmmmm: Just looked through my manual. Nothing in there saying not to use premium fuel..

Premium fuel has a higher volatility to normal unleaded fuel which allows a quicker, more explosive and cleaner burn of the fuel which leaves less of a build up of carbon in the chamber and also provides a little more economy...
Actually it's the opposite... Higher the octane rating the higher the flash point is for that fuel.. This make the fuel more controllable, which allows more timing to be dial into the tune of the motor before it start ping.. Compression can also be lifted if you use high octane fuel.... Hence why HSV's require 95+ octane... There motors are at a higher state of tune then a normal commy... Run 91 ULP and they will ping there heads off, because 91 is more volatile and pre-ignite easier. Hence pinging...

And that bloody refresh when trying to type a post, is so friggin annoying..... How can you turn it of....