PDA

View Full Version : sandy straits / awoonga trip

youngy555
30-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Evening gents, finally stumbled across the site after a six pack of googling the web and thought there might be a chance to pick a few brains on helpin me paint a picture as to what to expect when i pack up the quinny and swag early jan08 and head up to what seems to be some pretty decent fishin around fraser and awoonga (im from newcastle NSW). just about to turn 22, finished my apprenticeship and keen as for a change of scenery for a few weeks. I suppose any local knowledge and boating tips (i hear the tides in the strait can and do turn) also distances between decent fishing spots and where im stayin at poona (maps just dont give a scaled picture) would be appreciated, its a fair old drive towing a boat to spend a few days when i get there trying to suss it out when i could be wettin a line and hopefully catching a few. Anythin at all would be a bonus.

Look forward to puttin my two cents into what seems to be, finally, a decent chat room on the web. Happy new year

poundalead
31-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey Youngy,
Where are ya staying at Poona. I'll be there today, for a couple of days. If you wanna catch up for a beer I'll try and point you in the right direction and keep you out of this freakin' wind.......

youngy555
31-12-2007, 08:56 AM
pounda, wont be up there till the 9th of january, hopefully the weather you's are copppin will be long gone, is it spose to hang around? its spot on weather down here, just nothin on the chew. stayin @ p palms in poona. is the park pretty central to getting amongst it? cheers for the reply.

catfishkid
31-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Mate a couple of questions,what are you fishing for(whiting,jacks,pelagics etc..),and what size is your quinnie.

Cheers Craig

mangomick
31-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Youngy
If you want to know all about Awoonga get out for the day with john mitchell (one of the guys who does guided trips on Awoonga. Cost a few bucks but your young and cashed up.:D Johns an ex pro who really knows his stuff. For the cost of one trip out as soon as you get there will mean the difference between spending your holiday looking for barra or spending it fighting barra
Great way for cockroaches to learn all the tricks to catching good barra. :D
If you have all your own camping gear theres a place called cattle camp on the road between Caliope and Monto where you can camp for free. Theres a dirt ramp that accesses Awoonga but you need a 4X4 to launch and retrieve.
Have a look at Monduran Dam just north of Gin Gin as well. Its stocked with barra.
Hope you have a good trip
Cheers
mangomick

youngy555
01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
hows everyones head today?

Craig, mainly the bread and butter fishin gear, i hear there is decent sized whiting, but will have the heavier stuff for awoonga so ill be throwin stuff around chasin pelagics (keen to try and get onto a few LTs, if there around ). plastics/bait ill be given it all a go. the boats a 455 escape with a 50hp. Is poona palms c.park pretty close to gettin out amongst it?

thanks for the heads up mangomick, ill definitely try and spend a bit of time with him. cheers. Is monduran and awoonga much of a muchness.

catfishkid
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Mate the flats in front of poona hold good whiting at Times just be aware thar poona creek gets very shallow at low tide and you may not be able to get in or out at this time,there is some really good jack country up the creek but once again watch the tides.
Pelagic action should be available right down to inskip point with the area around big mick (Green beacon directly inside channel between inskip point and fraser) being a bit of a hot spot.There is some reef opposite the mouth of kauri creek if that type of fishing interests you.We have caught reasonble snapper drifting deep water in front of tinnanbar.
The closest all tide boat ramp to poona is at tuan just to the north.
Poona is a lovely little township but you should be aware there is no fuel available there so you will have to drive to maryborough or tin can bay for fuel,or make sure you have plenty for your stay.
Hope this helps and enjoy your holiday.

Cheers Craig

youngy555
01-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks mate. a bit of background knowledge will make the trip a lot more enjoyable. cheers.