PDA

View Full Version : Seat for Tinnie - Any suggestions?

Bilopete
30-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I have a SeaJay 4.3m tinny with tiller control and 2 thwarts.
The few times I've been out fishing I've got a sore back and now I think its time to look for a basic seat.

I have seen seat clamps ans swivels from BCF and Whitworths for around $30-$35 (mild steel) and Seat shells are around $30.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=137&item=75608&intAbsolutePage=1

The rear thwart is probably only around 1.2m thrick so fixing a seat swivel with roofing screws probably won't suffice.

Has anybody had any experiences with this combo? Are they any good? Are there better options for a similar price? I have about $80 to spend on getting one.

Cheers

Bilopete

Tailortaker
30-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I use them in my boat, they're ok. Make sure you get the good cushioned seat (they usually fold down) as the bare placy seats are a tad uncomfy. When you put it on make sure its nice a tight and also be sure to position the clamp so there is no overhang at the front of the seat as it will cut the backs of your legs.
Cheers TT

Bilopete
30-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I see the padded seat is around $80 and there's a couple to choose from. Is there a cheaper place to get the seat from?

dogsbody
30-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Gday Bilopete IMO forget those clamps they rust,don't do a good clamping job and they'll dent the shit out of your thawrt. Been there done that.

What i got now is the padded folding type seat with those thick alloy swivel bases and made some ply mounting thingy that is the width of the seat and goes about halfway down the front and back of the thwart, sort of a half square that slides over and glued some marine carpet on the inside for protection. Also drilled a hole in the ply base to put the screwdriver through to attach seat. Also easier to slide where you want it than the clamp type.

From memory the swivel was about $45 and seat was $65(Springfield) A good seat doesn't cost, it pays.

Dave.

dogsbody
30-12-2007, 05:28 PM
You can see the bases at Bias Boating website the one i got is $56 might be cheaper at Whitworths the seats at Whitworths are $70 (skipper seat).

Dave.

GAD
30-12-2007, 06:09 PM
In the old critter , I bought a couple of those base's that you can pop the seat out of the hole and move it, put in three one up front for second seat and one in centre seat and one where driver sits , when I put them in I cut a hole in the seat to accomadate the base plate,tore out a bit of foam to let it fitt, and drain water ,and reach the nuts, then I got in and with a lot of cussing ,me on the floor trying to reach in an hold the nylex nuts with a small shifter ,whilst tighting the top bolt all covered with a liberal covering of marine sikaflex, had to get a number one cut to get the sika out of my hair,, two days later rolled her over and refilled all the seats with foam filler and it dried in a day , turned her over and set her back up now I can move the seat to the center when just soaking a bait and be a bit more cumfortable, plus the padded seat is the go I bought a normal folding plastic one first, it is now for a second person if there is one, cause the padded one is much better for my butt.

Greg

Kleyny
30-12-2007, 06:43 PM
my father inlaw had the same drama.
he got a hold of some right angled chequer plate 5mm about 30cm square. pop riveted some swivels to this then pop riveted the plate to the thwart, then bolted the seat to the swivel. this way you dont get the original alloy bending
Make sure you use big enough rivets as he almost went over board when the rivets let go about 12 months later.

neil

Bilopete
30-12-2007, 07:58 PM
OK...so a padded seat is the way to go by the sounds of it. Other than boating shops where can I find them?

The thwart bracket sounds like its not to good either. I see on Whitworths that the have this bracket as another option...

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=137&item=75610&intAbsolutePage=1

This looks a bit better. No nuts, more secure etc etc etc...thanks for your help everyone!

Simmo2
30-12-2007, 08:43 PM
The clamp on mounts are crap mate!!
I have a padded seat tho, but I will get rid of the clamp set up shortly during refit.
I like another members idea somewhere re using sail track.... I only move my seat slightly from skipper to fisher positions.

Dan5
30-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah mate i've made something like what you are after.Get z bracket folded up out of 5 or 6 mm ally that suit's your thwart and then get some tubing welded on the front as a seat pole socket and rivet it on.Then it's a matter of using the standard swivel seat poles for your new bum mount.i know where you are coming from i got a crook back also.Dan.........

CHAPPY
31-12-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm about 110 kg so my swivel seats had to be properly mounted. Put a sheet of marine ply 50mm wider than the ally seat and 50mm wider than the swivel mount. Put this sheet under the seat. 4 only 6mm s.s. threaded rods thru the swiv3el mount and seat ,thru the foam boyancy and ply. Nylock nuts and fini.

dogsbody
31-12-2007, 07:08 AM
I also thought about getting a broken office chair that still has the gas lift working, getting rid of the wheels, attach a base to accommodate the little knobby thing in the centre then putting on the padded seat.

Thought this would be good for my dad up front because they act as a suspension to take away the pounding.

Dave.

crossy
01-01-2008, 10:43 AM
i have clamp on seats and i wouldnt recomend them. i just about threw the wife out of the tinnie. it was funny till she gave me an evil look. (should have gone a bit quicker) the clamps dont hold to much and no matter how much i tighten the bolts it just comes loose again. the seat is very comfy got the padded fold down one of whitworths.

Darrylmc
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
I have recently put Bluline fold down padded seats in my 4.2 Explorer, i purchased them from BCF on special for $59.95 each but i noticed they are back to $99.95.
I also brought the Springfield Seat Swivel and Clamp for $39.95, they come with clamps that are screwed to your thwart seats to stop them from moving, seems to work a treat so far.

Cheers
Darryl