PDA

View Full Version : Balloon Tyred Trailer for Estuaries ??

Barnacle12345
30-12-2007, 11:33 AM
I need some help , folks......

I have lost the details for a supplier of boat trailers designed to spread the wheel loading using balloon-type tyres.
They were operating from a suburb in Brisbane and manufactured these as a sideline to their normal business. I know they were operating about a year ago but no amount of Googling has brought up their website now.

Does anyone remember this operation or have one of their trailers ?

finga
30-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Are these trailers designed for road use as well??
If not are they big fat pump up tyres like on little planes or hard plastic??
It should not be too hard to find someone to bung big (how big is big??) fat tyres on a trailer.
What size boat??

Barnacle12345
30-12-2007, 02:06 PM
The trailers I remember were not designed for road transport... just for short haul delivery of a boat from the high tide line down into the inter-tidal zone for launching.
I have a waterfront property into an estuary and have a 50 yard zone between high and low water.
Balloon- tyre size (about 2 foot in diameter ) was smaller than those used for pedal-powered watercraft but larger than those used for hobicat dollies.

The problem I am trying to solve is launching/retrieval over the inter-tidal zone without using a vehicle. The waterfront area does not have vehicle access.
I'm thinking of a 4 wheel balloon tyred trailer with a landbased winch to drag both boat and trailer ashore for maintenance/servicing.
My boat is a Quintrex 3.85 tinnie ...... about 200kgs fully loaded with motor/battery/bimini / bait and beer .

mangomick
30-12-2007, 04:17 PM
My young bloke had a set of wide balloon type tyres that he bought to go on to a sidewinder buggy he was building. They were the same size as the mini hubs and fitted easily on my tinnie trailer and they were great for dragging it up the beach in really soft sand. From memory they were about 30 cm wide.
I cant remember whether he got them through the mob that supplies the plans for the sidewinder buggy or whether he ordered them from a tyre company.
Have a look at www.edge.au.com (http://www.edge.au.com)

oldboot
30-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Have you thaught about mower tyres.......some of them are quite wide & designed to distribute weight.......have a look at the size of the tyres on the back of any of the stick steer commercial mowers.

The rear tyres used on most domestic ride-ons are about the size of a wheel barrow ture but wider.....same size is used as the small tyre on some commercial machines.

Or you could go after used race tyres.....

cheers