4.Live Bait pump
5.CD Player
6.Bilge pump

Ps Battery 1 Starting Battery 2 to run all acc
would like to mount the switch near the transom in the weather

Thanks for any comment cheers

finga
30-12-2007, 08:04 AM
If the batteries are used for separate distribution systems (or circuits) like you want (ie 1 start and 1 accessories) then 2 isolators are needed.
You'll have one battery and isolator for motor and it's associated distribution system and one battery and isolator for the accessories and it's distribution system.

A special little gismo will be needed if you want to charge the accessories battery from the motor battery as it would be on a separate circuit with no interconnections for charging.

Now if you want to use either or both batteries for everything then a simple change-over switch is all that's needed.

Is there a special reason why you want to use a dedicated battery for the motor and a dedicated battery for the accessories??

Don't get me wrong. A lot of people do it and there's nothing at all wrong with it.
But the answer to why is just further knowledge in the back of my mind.
Cheers then
Scott :)

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks finga well just that if for some reason i have the 4x4 duel system in my car and i though that at lest i could always start motor but
your comment
Now if you want to use either or both batteries for everything then a simple change-over switch is all that's needed.
Has got me thinking does this mean i can have the best of both world ?????
cheers

finga
30-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Has got me thinking does this mean i can have the best of both world ?????
cheers
Not really. You'll be able to use either battery to run everything (motor and accessories) or both batteries connected together to run everything.
Motor and accessories will always be connected together with a simple change-over switch. This is not what your after really is it :-/

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 08:47 AM
So will the little 50hp have to run for days try to charge both battery or is it like the 4x4 system that always charges the starting battery first or is there a switch that you tell the motor what to charge.

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey if i tell you what i want archive can you comment on what switch or system cheers

finga
30-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey if i tell you what i want archive can you comment on what switch or system cheers
That's best ;D

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Well lets call battery 1 cranking battery 2 accessories
Battery 1 to start motor then as backup battery two to start motor if battery one dead
Then knowing that I would think the motor will keep battery 1 charged and i will have to charge battery 2 every now and then
Does that make any sense.

marco
30-12-2007, 10:32 AM
as a suggestion , bep has a cluster of four switches that work for what you want .

house switch
start switch
parallel switch to run both batteries in parallel in case of one draining

and a vsr switch , automatic for controlling the charging of the house battery as the start is linked to the engine which is being charged .

about 250 bucks worth

http://www.bepmarine.com/Dual-Battery-Charging-Cluster-179-1464.html

northernblue
30-12-2007, 11:08 AM
That cluster is what I have been wondering about, I have a dual batt set up on my 23 sharkcat, but it is wired funny, [ I think, anyhow].

I have seen one off those clusters [the unit I saw had 5/6 units in the cluster for a 3 battery setup] at a certain retailer where no one knows anything, and had been thinking that it might work for me.

What I have is:
There are 3 "isolation" key switches [on/off], one for each of two starting batteries, and one key that links the two batteries [for charging, or in case of battery failure]
To me the problem is that accessories are never turned off, regardless of the switch positions, lights etc are always live.
I can only charge off the starboard motor [but have been thinking about installing another alternator on the port motor].
I have also been thinking of installing a third battery dedicated to house.

The cluster I have seen, I think, would allow me to charge all the batteries [2/3] off the one motor.

Does anyone have any experience with these clusters?
Any comments as far as quality, or ease of installation?

marco
30-12-2007, 02:46 PM
That cluster is what I have been wondering about, I have a dual batt set up on my 23 sharkcat, but it is wired funny, [ I think, anyhow].

I have seen one off those clusters [the unit I saw had 5/6 units in the cluster for a 3 battery setup] at a certain retailer where no one knows anything, and had been thinking that it might work for me.

What I have is:
There are 3 "isolation" key switches [on/off], one for each of two starting batteries, and one key that links the two batteries [for charging, or in case of battery failure]
To me the problem is that accessories are never turned off, regardless of the switch positions, lights etc are always live.
I can only charge off the starboard motor [but have been thinking about installing another alternator on the port motor].

The cluster I have seen, I think, would allow me to charge all the batteries [2/3] off the one motor.

i run that system for two batteries off one engine and it works fine , installation is easy but the only hard part would be crimping the terminal ends , any auto shop should be able to make up your cables to the required length .

i put this system in under the advice of eddie from springers low voltage and he was great in helping make the cables etc .
the quality is excellent .

krillx
30-12-2007, 03:07 PM

What I have is:

Northernblue - you need another isolation switch on your accessories battery. Our boat has isolation switches on each engine battery, an emergency parallel switch to link the engine batteries, and an accessory battery isolation switch.

If you need to charge off the port motor in an emergency can you use the emergency parallel switch?

We also have a BEP VSR which isolates the accessories battery from the engine batteries when the motors are off so you can't drain the engine batteries using the accessories.

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Guys i went with a BEP Marine switch 701s

http://www.bepmarine.com/Mini-Selector-Battery-Switch-178-1406.html[/URL]

But the wiring diagram i got of the web site is for a 721
is it the same cheers

[URL]http://www.bepmarine.com/store/web/Catalog/Category/Battery%20Management/Battery%20Switches/Manual/721/Docs/721-Wiring_Dia.pdf (http://www.bepmarine.com/Battery-Switch-Panel-Mount-178-1587.html)

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Or the simplest way for a du**** cheers

marco
30-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Guys i went with a BEP Marine switch 701s

http://www.bepmarine.com/Mini-Selector-Battery-Switch-178-1406.html

But the wiring diagram i got of the web site is for a 721
is it the same cheers

http://www.bepmarine.com/store/web/Catalog/Category/Battery%20Management/Battery%20Switches/Manual/721/Docs/721-Wiring_Dia.pdf

i would say it is the same wiring as the 721 , should be 3 poles on the rear of the 701 .

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 06:06 PM
i would say it is the same wiring as the 721 , should be 3 poles on the rear of the 701 .

Yes same hope the switch can handle it motor is only 50hp

marco
30-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Yes same hope the switch can handle it motor is only 50hp

it will shit it in , check the specs

701-S Specifications:

Continuous Rating: 200 Amps DC
Intermittent Rating: 300 Amps DC
Cranking Rating: 1000 Amps DC
Voltage Rating: 48 Volts DC
Operation: Selector 1-2-Both_off

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 06:24 PM
it will shit it in , check the specs

701-S Specifications:
Continuous Rating: 200 Amps DC
Intermittent Rating: 300 Amps DC
Cranking Rating: 1000 Amps DC
Voltage Rating: 48 Volts DC
Operation: Selector 1-2-Both_off

What would at 50 need a but of overkill thanks mate

northernblue
30-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Northernblue - you need another isolation switch on your accessories battery. Our boat has isolation switches on each engine battery, an emergency parallel switch to link the engine batteries, and an accessory battery isolation switch.

If you need to charge off the port motor in an emergency can you use the emergency parallel switch?

We also have a BEP VSR which isolates the accessories battery from the engine batteries when the motors are off so you can't drain the engine batteries using the accessories.

Krillx, at present I don't have a dedicated accessory battery, and the port motor does not have a charging facility/alternator, but I can [probably will install one].

I havent finished reading the thread yet but it seems that a few of you are happy with these units

Fitzy
02-01-2008, 10:48 PM
The BEP VSR (Voltage Sensitive Relays) are the ducks guts.
You can get them in various configurations. From an auto which only controls the volts but has not isolator switches, to the ones described above (these can be in a couple of sizes eg 4 in a square or 4 in a row to suit different installations), to a remote operated setup where you mount the switch on the console & it electrically turns the isolator switches for you.

For anyone with dual battery setups a VSR is a god send!

Cheers

Fitzy..