PDA

View Full Version : Repowering - Honda or Suzuki

FreeWilly
29-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi all,

I have a 7.5 m fibreglass tri-hull boat set up for game fishing currently powered by twin Mercury 115 four strokes I have had for about 4 years. Most running consists of running to the shelf and trolling most of the day so the engines get a lot of running at trolling speed.

I am considering re-powering with twin set up of either Honda BF 135 (maybe 150) or Suzuki DF 140 engines

Is anyone aware of any reliability issues with either of these engines?

mirage
29-12-2007, 11:55 PM
There will always be someone who has had an issue with one brand of motor or another. The Jap 4 stks are as good as each other now. Get the cheapest/lightest/best dealer/cheapest servicing etc, etc.
ie. I don't think it really maters which one Honda/Suzuki, they're both good.

FreeWilly
30-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks mirage,

I thought that might be the case from what I had researched on the net. Just wanted to see if any owners had experienced any particular common reliability issues with either of these.

Cheers

Feral
30-12-2007, 07:08 AM
Saw a recent post somewhere about a major brand name not honouring a warranty claim on a motor with only 150 hours on it. If your tossing up between two brands, then check the warranty period and conditions, go with the better one. (And I mean reputation for honouring the warranty as well, not just what is on the paperwork)

deadbeatloser
30-12-2007, 07:20 AM
have you considered the allmighty :)ETEC:) if you cant beatm joinm

mirage
30-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Deadbeat, he'd lose his windscreen if he got an ETEC. They're too powerfull.;D

Marlin_Mike
30-12-2007, 12:02 PM
they are like asnything in this world....if they work fine you'll praise it, if it plays up you'll bag the shite out of it for ever.............anywway, suzuki for mine :)

Mike

ETEC........hmmmm, dont they make great artificial reefs? LOL

dnej
30-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Shouldnt there be something there also that starts with a Y.
David

FreeWilly
30-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks all,

Everyone has their favourite and will defend it to the hilt!

Anyway, sounds like both brands have no major reliability issues so i'll see what deal comes up best and check warranty conditions.

All the best and thanks.

mirage
30-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I think both have a 5 year warranty, if you buy from a reputable dealer you shouldn't have any worries. I'd just go for the best deal on either of em, or Yamaha for that matter.
I've had a DF175 and now have 2 x DF140's. No problems so far, been very happy with em. Although there have been some skeg moulding issues lately on this site for the larger Suzuki's, DF150's and up I think. My DF175 was OK, though it was a couple of years old.
Cheers.

gar26lw
30-12-2007, 02:02 PM
hmm, i tried a honda 135 the other day on a sig 550 and I found it to be a bit lacking. quiet and very fuel efficent but it was at 4000 rpm all the time to get the thing to move. Id go suzuki 140, its supposed to be pretty good.

dnej
30-12-2007, 02:13 PM
free willy,where do you live
David

FreeWilly
30-12-2007, 09:35 PM
David,

Live at Newcastle

Fatenhappy
31-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Came back to Oz 2004 from working OS and got straight back into boating. At the time I had a 6.5metre plate boat that I hummed and hard over whether to go with the 140 Suzi or 150 Honda. There was 4 grand difference in the two at the time. I eventually finished up with the Honda as we had Honda small engines in the past and they were a gem. Anyway, got the boat and the 150 was fantastic. We did the Bay Cruise in 2005 all around the bottom end of Moreton Bay and Stradbroke island for a week with unbelieveable performance and ecconomy from all spheres of use, both then and later on. Having said that, there is next to no difference these days from what I gather between the two, as apparently Suzui have made even more inroads on the Hondas market.

We are currently running a 24' Shark Cat which I am looking to repower with 2 140 Suzis unless anyone can convince me of a better alternative ??

Cheers
Greg ;D