29-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Just finished the casting deck in my boat and woundering about the
carpeting.Maybe how you guys do it. Or evan if I should fold the edges
underneath, any tips and advice uold be greatly appreacieted,
cheers,
jamie;) ;)

loophole
29-12-2007, 05:54 PM
if your using marine ply just buy some marine carpett from BCF and get sum bond crete or like spray adheshive and stick it on if u have room u could fold the edges underneath.

Leighton
29-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Contact adhesive, some times when you fold the carpet under the flooring doesnt sit properly

TonyM
29-12-2007, 06:54 PM
As the other guys have said use Spray on Contact Adhesive - although from experience I'd suggest getting a recognised brand as the el-cheapo stuff doesn't work very well.

You end up with a far more professional looking job if you fold the sides around and under. This also helps to keep it in place.

If you just glue it down and cut to the edges chances are it will start to lift eventually and will look cruddy.

You might need to trim a little off the edge of your ply so it will fit. Last time I did this I had to allow 5mm on the edges for the thickness of the carpet when you fold it over the sides and back under the bottom. (just check how thick your carpet is and allow for that). I folded abot 10cm around so you've got a decent bit to glue to the underside, this also helps to ensure it will sit evenly when you screw it all down ;-)

It's a very rewarding job as your boat looks a lot better after, not to mention a lot more comfy! :-)

Cheers
Tony

Cobia Kid
30-12-2007, 06:36 AM
No one here has said about using nails, are nails a bad thing?

blaze
30-12-2007, 06:49 AM
No one here has said about using nails, are nails a bad thing?
yes, bad, bad

dogsbody
30-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Gday I have used on my last 2 boats contact adhesive that i thinned slightly with turps and used a spray gun to apply on both surfaces put a tad more around the edge allow to dry for 10 mins or so and put together then walk all over it especially the edges.

I cut my carpet to the edge and didn't have a problem with it lifting just remember pay attention to the edge.

I also found it easier to lay the carpet on the floor then put the ply on top. I did it this way because i cut a pattern and it would have been a drama to try and line it up correctly.

First i made a template and drew it on the underside of both colors then carefully cut it out. I then stuck it together on the topside with vinyl (sticker material) sprayed with contact and placed on. when dry cut off the excess and your done.

Dave.

reelchippy
30-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Mate just finished one got the carpet from Clark rubber got one that was soft on the kids bums payed $32m just angle fixed easy to remove when sh*ts it self cheers

levinge
30-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I went a totally different tack on my tinnie, I have a 4m side console with a alloy plate casting platform and main floor. I stencilled the floor dimensions, cut to size and fixed it to the plate using some Rubber Stair Treads and SS screws/washers. I have found this most effective over the years as it is easy to maintain and replace. Cleanning is a breeze, if you get a build up of crap under the carpet (as most boats do over a period of time) you just undo a couple of screws, lift the carpet and wash underneath. Come time to replace the carpet, same deal undo all the screws, remove and replace. Cuts down replacement time to about 2 hours total.

Carpet does not move at all once fixed in place, also gives you adequate grip when moving from back to the front.

PADDLES
31-12-2007, 06:14 AM
when i re carpeted the bowrider i used artificial grass adhesive. this stuff is not as sticky when the time comes to pull it all up and replace it a few years down the track. sometimes with contact cement if you use too much of it the carpet is damn near impossible to pull up and you've got to use a bit of petrol on the carpet as a bit of a solvent to lift it.

Cobia Kid
31-12-2007, 08:21 AM
yes, bad, bad
whats the big problem with this??
:-/ :-/

P.S., this has helped me alot guys,
thanx

plaztix
31-12-2007, 10:38 AM
whats the big problem with this??
:-/ :-/

Nails wont hold the carpet very well as the pressure is concentrated in one spot and will end up tearing the carpet. Also the holes you put in the ply will allow water in which will eventually rot and the nails will then lift and a nail in the foot wont be a pleasant way to finish a days fishing.

moater
31-12-2007, 11:18 AM
yes, bad, bad

Yeah,not a good thing at all to have to worry about!

There's also the risk of them dropping out or parts thereof,onto the floor of your boat and setting up electrolytic corrosion in tinnies.

I've got a brand new Sea Jay 4.55 Magnum and I'm in the process of adding a centre console etc.I lifted up the carpeted floor to find that although the carpet's glued down nicely there are also a $%#+load of bloody staples left in >:( >:( I'll have to remove them 'cause I don't want a heap of corrosion-starters sitting there..MOST UNHAPPY>:( >:( The underside of the ply isn't sealed either and it's pretty weak,flexy ply too..thinking about sealing/strengthening it with some fibreglass matting and replacing it with sheet aluminium when I can afford it...also found some alloy offcuts and mig wire too>:( >:( >:(

Expected better from a company with a good reputation>:(

Sorry for getting off the track::)

Darren

Nico.d.R
31-12-2007, 12:45 PM
i used marine carpet from bcf it was 40 bucks a metre and for glue i used spray can contact i tried the spray because my uncle went threw about 3l of brush on contact and i thought spraying it on would be better . if you can get a rubber roller it will help heaps to fold the carpet around the edge of the ply , i sprayed contact on the top off the ply and the back of the carpet let it dry for 10 min so it is not tacky when you touch it than sit the carpet glue side up and place the ply on top , turn over and roll it out with the roller , than turn it over and contact the edges and back for the wrap around when it tacks of roll it from the top of the ply around the edge and to the back and it should hold . if you have a door in your deck allow 20mm for carpet , i allowed 10 and realised later i needed 10mm for both sides not 1 so i had to cut the door down , your best bet if there is a door is carpet the deck first than cut the door to fit . have fun and i hope it works out for you here some pics of mine .

nico

Nico.d.R
31-12-2007, 12:52 PM
also if you are sealing your ply ,undercoat/prime everything and than 2pac or enamel the top and sides not the bottom it is better not to totally seal the ply so if any moisture gets into it , it can come out aswell .

nico

artesian
01-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Some manufacturers fix the hinges to any hatches before fitting the carpet, then glue the carpet over the top of the hinge.

Looks a bit weird, but is nice on the toes. Would presumably suit flyfishers as well

Nico.d.R
01-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Some manufacturers fix the hinges to any hatches before fitting the carpet, then glue the carpet over the top of the hinge.

Looks a bit weird, but is nice on the toes. Would presumably suit flyfishers as well

it would be good on the toes but it would be a pain in the arse to change of fix the hinges . you can get hinges that fix to underneth the deck , they cost a bit more . the pressed SS hinges i used cost about 30 bucks and they were the cheap ones just make sure that you use stainless steel .

loophole
02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Just finished the casting deck in my boat and woundering about the
carpeting.Maybe how you guys do it. Or evan if I should fold the edges
underneath, any tips and advice uold be greatly appreacieted,
cheers,
jamie;) ;)

ay mate post sum picsup when your done