PDA

View Full Version : DIY platey

staying alive
29-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I am looking to build my own 22' aluminum kit boat , anyone have experience with this, I have been looking at this one from Nomad Marine Kits , I love this hull . Any opinions on Nomad Kits???????????

http://www.nomadmarinekits.com/catalogue/runabouts/runabouts-67ht.htm

Alchemy
29-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Nice looking boat. Any idea on kit cost?

Thanks,
Dave.

staying alive
29-12-2007, 12:08 PM
no i have just e-mailed them for info --I am on the west coast of Canada --have searched the web for awhile and found you Aussies know boats . so i am looking for the ultimate boat for 95% fishing and 5% wakeboarding

lippa
29-12-2007, 12:28 PM
search through boating sections for posts by stuart, he just built one, good luck!

Stuart
29-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Staying alive

I had Adam from Nomad marine hits do up a custom boat for me, took several months between him and myself to come up with what I wanted. He is extremely easy to deal with and incredibly helpful. He is also an incredible naval architect that knows his stuff. I couldn’t recommend him highly enough. My boat was designed specially for game fishing with offcourse other things in mind as well.

My boat wasn’t one of his of the shelf boats but the ones he has on his web site are very nice indeed. My boat was 7.4mtrs over all with a 2.55mtr beam centre console, 250ltrs under floor with a 150 litre kill tank. I also had a 100ltr live bait tank which took some hard work to fit into the transom. I also had a raised floor added to give more deck space in the bow. If you already have the welder and most all the tools then your cost will be kept down however the cost of wire and gas will be an going expense through the build process. Cutting wheels, sanding disks will also keep your wallet open.

You need to have patience and constantly think 3 or 4 steps ahead so you don’t have to redo anything. Anyone can build their own alloy boat if you half a brain and allot of patience.

Stu

dnej
29-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Stu,what about a pic
David

staying alive
30-12-2007, 10:46 AM
thanks for the info Stu, would love to see some pics of your boat, I,ll follow Lippa's advise and check some of your old posts to see what you built. I wanted to hear from someone that Nomad was a legit proffesional i can't afford to screw this up. I've been a glazier for 30 years working with glass and aluminum used to working to exact dimensions.I,m pretty confident i can get the job done . I,ve been a backyard welder for quite awhile, got a nice Miller mig welder with alum. spool gun good enough to tack everything together , and a shop full of tools.
Any books or magazines you would recomend

Simon

Stuart
30-12-2007, 12:28 PM
I’m not familiar with any books but Adam does give you the building sequences for each stage of the construction. He also allows 20mm green around all vital sections in case you stuff up. Sounds like you already have the tools you require so that makes the job a lot easier. The boats now gone but I do have some photos.

Stu

staying alive
14-01-2008, 09:51 AM
got a price back from Nomad $17,500.00 + gst + delivery pretty good price they say they will consider cutting it in Canada for me ,that,s nice of them.,who knows what it would cost to ship from Aus . I got a feeling these guys know boats , it,s a big leap of faith for me to put out that kind of money for a boat that i,ve only seen in a pic . hopefully someone will show up on here and confirm it is a sweet ride. They build a different style here in Canada and i really like thie looks of this thing looks like a searious wave pounder