PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Donk

Splash
28-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Photos of transom:

Which bolts to loosen to lower donk?

Note - I think a supporting box tube has fallen out that support inside of top mounting that rests on top of transom - i think there was something there before...

What should I insert in this gap?

More photos to come...

SPlash

Splash
28-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Here the photos shwoing bolts holding donk on transom.

WHich ones to loosen?

SPlash

bay local
28-12-2007, 05:07 PM
We got a new motor fitted to our boat last year and they installed it the same as your photo's. It's sitting up higher than the transom. You shouldn't need to put any thing in that gap it should be fine just how it is.

Splash
28-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Tahsnk Bay-local.

It does look a bot odd with that gap - and it seems to be asking to be filled...

Anyway, some more picis - this time the cavitation plate's relative position to bottom of hull.

It does appear the cavitation plate is exaclty on the same line as the bottom of the hull.

The prop is obviously lower than than hull.

FNQ - will lowering this prop/donk further eliminate 'empty' revving over swell/chop etc.?

Splash

FNQCairns
28-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah it will but what's this silly looking lump of plastic hanging of the back!!. You cannot lower the engine with that piece of landfill attatched:)

cheers fnq

Splash
28-12-2007, 05:34 PM
lool

You talking about the hydrofoil??

PLease advise why you don't like these?

Splash

Splash
28-12-2007, 05:36 PM
6 bolts (3 each side - 1 bottom and 2 on top).

To clarify - Loosen all six, remove top 4 and re-insert to new holes - correct?

FNQCairns
28-12-2007, 05:40 PM
lool

You talking about the hydrofoil??

PLease advise why you don't like these?

Splash

No not going to, they don't even deserve that, pull it off and learn how to drive the boat without it, it will be different may even be a little worse sometimes but overalland without doubt you will have a boat that works, I can understand feeling the need for one when badly setup which is almost excusivly the case, some just don't know it but.

BTW wait until the fin has been buried and the boat tested over a few hours and conditons before you bother lowering it any further, it looks like it may be OK where it is??

cheers fnq

Splash
28-12-2007, 05:47 PM
why may it look OK where it is now?

I will ditch the hyrdofoil on your profressional advice :-)

I guess this may be your returned hornets nest but I woudl love your thoughts on the hydrofoil - is it a myth, bandaid or marketing thingo?

Pros and cons of using the hydrofoill?

Pros and cons of not using the hydrofoil?

PS - I have Bennets trim tabs fitted.

Splash

Splash
28-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Pros of foil -
Better economy, handling and quicker to plane and will plane at lower speeds...

Cons of foil -
- Can cause your boat to list badly to the point of capsize
- Can actually become dangerous due to digging in effect they can have whilst turning.
- Erratic handling.

Naturally you would only put a foil on when the stern is too heavy and lacking in lift. The foil is also useful if you boat is a bit underpowered. In this case you boat will handle better and be safer - not dangerous.

Taking foil off - behaves like a different boat, could adjust trim to suit the sea etc, without battling the steering ( cable )

Tabs - assist getting on the plane or balancing loads, I

Ideal to get used to the boats natural characteristics first, figure out what you will use the boat for and then make a decision to install a foil or not.

Foils can be a bit tricky in a following sea.

Could pose some nasty surprises in a following sea.

Foils are deemed for poorly designed hulls and incorrectly fitted motors and as FNQ explained only a bandaid fix, and would be detrimental in a following sea as the waves would be pushing down on the foil bogging the motor down.

Next?

littlejim
28-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I specially fitted a foil to mine. Came up out of the 'hole' much faster and works like a charm.
Wouldn't get rid of it if I were you, unless you can blame some problem on to it.
Every now and then someone on the forum finds they don't work for them, but not me.

FNQCairns
28-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Just read this - you have trim tabs!!!! Knock me down with a feather, what in gods name is there a crapy foil on there for!

Splash you are a cad!

cheers fnq

Splash
28-12-2007, 08:09 PM
....pissing in the wind.............. lol

Getout
28-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Ditch the foil and buy a new prop. The prop looks really worn.
Then try different heights on the motor. There is no spacer required when the motor is raised above the top of the transom. My 175 has only four bolts, not six.
When you do change the motor height, rest the motor on a piece of wood, loosen (dont remove!) the lower sliding bolts and remove the nuts from the upper bolts and knock the bolts out enough to allow the motor to move up and down. Wind your jockey wheel up or down to change the motor height.
A safe and simple operation if you do it properly. I would think that you would need to be able to identify the need and notice any difference to attempt this adjustment.
If you are not sure how it all works, pay someone who does. It can be less painful.

Splash
28-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Tahnks Getout.

The 15P prop u see is a second hand i bought off ebay recently.

I have a brand new 17P SS viper also.

But, need to test both props and determine which is best for my rig.

When I determine which pitch is ideal i will buy a brand new SS whatever..

The 17P may be a bit too big for my rig. :-((

SPlash

andrew&lucy
29-12-2007, 07:47 AM
I agree with fnqcarins motor height is ok, if you drop the motor down the foil will create drag as it will be under water when you travel along.Iwould be looking into prop choices.

mirage
29-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Splash, I also agree with FNQ. Get rid of the foil first and try it out. With the trim tabs I can't see any use for a foil!!

Splash
29-12-2007, 09:19 PM
THanks Mirage.

When the monsoon rains pause for a bit I will head out and try boat w/o foil.

FOil is now off and awaiting trial. SHould be interesting..

SPlash

outsiderskip
30-12-2007, 10:58 AM
easy as pie
take top 2 out loose botton 2
timber under motor
then wind down jocky wheel
let me know if u want a hand

pete