PDA

View Full Version : Knots for big leader to braid

ejackulate
27-12-2007, 04:14 PM
hey blokes
Have just started impoundment barra fishin and need to know what are the best knots for leader to main line and what is the strongest loop knot to tie for lures.
THANKS HEAPS GUYS

Leighton
27-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Bimini Twist to Allbright, Perfection Loop to Lure

PlasticFantastic
27-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Alot of guys are using twisted leaders these days on Barra. Their strong offer good abrasion resistance and because it's joined loop to loop there's no chunky knot.

PlasticFantastic

Feral
28-12-2007, 04:26 AM
I like the albright for all leaders and size braids, just do the winding with the smaller line . Never had a failure.

At the moment I am using the rapala knot for the loop, been using it for about 6 months, no failures so far.

The secret with all knots is check them regulary for wear, particulary if casting, (they wear in the guides) and I renew them at least daily.

Poodroo
28-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Visit the animated knot section of Ausfish forum. There are bound to be some good knot ideas there.

Poodroo

NAGG
28-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Improved albright ! ....... but more often than Knot;D Braid leader knot in combination with a short bimini twist double!
Nagg

davo189
28-12-2007, 05:13 PM
As a general rule for tying braid to a mono leader, I use the following...

If the breaking strain of the mono leader is less than or equal to the braid, I use a uni knot.

If the leader is greater than the braid I use an allbright.

Seems to work well for me.

Cheers, Davo.

5Zigen
28-12-2007, 07:19 PM
For leader to braid, I've experimented with a few knots and the Uni to Uni knot was the first to go, the profile of this knot when connecting the standard barra lines (20-50lb baid to 40-80lb leader) meant the profile of the knot was just way too big - it tears into the thumb when casting and the constant banging thru the guides will probably affect the integrity of the knot eventually.

Improved Albright works really well, but my preference is for the "Slim Beauty", name sounds pretty gay but it works extremely well, its way easy to tie, very slim in profile and I havent had any come apart yet when tied properly.

Here's an ok clip on how to tie.

http://www.orlandooutfitters.com/knots/knot.asp?id=16

There are better clips on how to tie this knot, google it and u'll find one thats illustrated better

If you do use this knot, just remember to do the requisite extra turns when using fine braid, otherwise the braid will slip thru.

As for leader to lure, the Perfection Loop is great, the only issue u may have is the difficulty in pulling the knot up tight with no gaps in the knot. In this case, use some glue and it'll hold the knot nice and tight.

Hope this helps!:D

oldboot
28-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Has anybody tried a loop to loop connection with whatever loop you like.

cheers

eotbmg
28-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Have used the improved albright for the last 2 years on barra, but have now moved to wind on leaders attatched to a double bimini.
Ben