PDA

View Full Version : What sounder/finder for estuary fisher

Kleyny
27-12-2007, 03:10 PM
It seems that my $140 garman 80 finder decided to pack it in just after the 12month warranty ran out:'( >:( .
It just doesn't turn on anymore, checked the wiring for power all ok, pulled it apart all looks good (for a mechanic), whilst still apart checked it on the boat only to find it working again yippy. So i put it back together only to find it not working again>:( . Got the SH!TS now and going to ask the minister for finance for a early b.day prezzy.

So back to my question what sort should i get in the <$350 mark? Maybe able to stretch it a little if i be a good boy (but thats not looking real flash by my track record)

90% of my fishing is estuary in anywhere from 1m to 8m. but do plan to venture out to curtain and surrounds in the new year. So I'm not looking for anything that can punch down 200m.

thanks

neil

deadbeatloser
27-12-2007, 07:59 PM
any of the new garmins are great and user friendly, if you shop rite you can get some great deals.

seamonkey
27-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Honkey

Furuno LS4100....several on Ebay at that money at the moment.

Sm.

goddy100
28-12-2007, 07:10 AM
I used to own a garmin on my small tinny, great sounder and very reliable. The new garmins are of the same quality but I feel the screens are starting to let them down now as the B&W ones are a low resolution compared to other brands. Have used a Lowrance X52 a lot on a mates tinny, great screen and lots of bang for your buck with that sounder. Just recently purchased a Furuno 4100 for my own boat though, just due to the good reports on this site. Picked it up from the states with the 3 in one transducer. I am yet to use it in earnest, but after having a play it on the bench, it appears to be a very capable unit. One thing though is the Airmar transducer, it is HUGE conpared to any others I have owned. My old man saw it and reckened I was lucky there are pods on the back of the boat to help keep it afloat:) .

Goddy

Kleyny
28-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I used to own a garmin on my small tinny, great sounder and very reliable. The new garmins are of the same quality but I feel the screens are starting to let them down now as the B&W ones are a low resolution compared to other brands. Have used a Lowrance X52 a lot on a mates tinny, great screen and lots of bang for your buck with that sounder. Just recently purchased a Furuno 4100 for my own boat though, just due to the good reports on this site. Picked it up from the states with the 3 in one transducer. I am yet to use it in earnest, but after having a play it on the bench, it appears to be a very capable unit. One thing though is the Airmar transducer, it is HUGE conpared to any others I have owned. My old man saw it and reckened I was lucky there are pods on the back of the boat to help keep it afloat:) .

Goddy

What kind of coin did you pay for yours?
what site and how long did it take for it to turn up?

goddy100
29-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Paid $400Aus delivered for it from Scuba Steve. Took about 2 weeks to get here, but most of that was sitting at Aust post waiting to be delivered. I got the three in one transducer (sonar, temp and speed) but if you don't need the speed then it is cheaper. A good aussie retailer is Qld Outdoor and Marine Electronics. He has good prices but he did not have the transducer I wanted in stock, so went overseas. (I wanted it for Xmas so I at least had something under the tree:) )

Goddy

deadbeatloser
30-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Paid $400Aus delivered for it from Scuba Steve. Took about 2 weeks to get here, but most of that was sitting at Aust post waiting to be delivered. I got the three in one transducer (sonar, temp and speed) but if you don't need the speed then it is cheaper. A good aussie retailer is Qld Outdoor and Marine Electronics. He has good prices but he did not have the transducer I wanted in stock, so went overseas. (I wanted it for Xmas so I at least had something under the tree:) )

Goddy
wouldnt waste my money on the ls 4100 for an extra 150 you can purchase digital HD sounder . do sum home work and get yourself a real sounder with some features not some blak n white 10 year old + technology. dont get me wrong i have owned one (ls4100) but for 400 you can do 200%better with spending little more.go a colour you wont look back
::);D:)