PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 140 dead after 150hrs

2rods
27-12-2007, 09:10 AM
A mate of mine from Katherine has had some issues with his Suzuki 140, thought I would ask around and see if anyone else has had a similar issue?

His 140 mounted on a 5.99mtr poly has only 150hrs on it... he looks after the servicing himself as he is a fitter....

On the last oil change (done at 50hr intervels as he is padantic) he noticed the oil had gone milky...

He took it to the agent here in Darwin and after they stripped the motor they said it was caused by sand in the water jacket:o that had caused the motor to over heat...and as such it was not warrenty and he had to pay the $4000 rebuild cost..

He asked about the over heat alarm and was told it didn't go off because there was no sensor in that part of the motor......

As a fitter myself I think he is getting ripped off but what do you do....I just can't see how a small amount of sand would overheat a motor enough to cause damage without an alarm going off..

When I spoke to him last he had paid the $$$ and was trading the motor in on a 150HP Honda....

Your thoughts appreciated.

FNQCairns
27-12-2007, 09:56 AM
It's a shame, but at only $4000 the problem must have been fairly minor fix all said and done.

Todays engines are best described as 'party now pay later' engines, with very complex heads (as just one component) incorporating metals of differing types and the need to 'fit' it all into almost a honeycomb of bored/drilled and cast lump of aluminium.

The line is now much finer as to what will consitute a serious open wallet senario.

It's very possible all on the up and up and the motor simply received a hone/new rings/ head shave and new gaskets + the labour to make it happen all as a result of a relativly minor hotspot warping the head.

Would be interesting to hear what work/machining/parts were used to make good sense of your mates problem.

Cheers fnq

capt
27-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't beleive that no alarm went cff when the donk got that hot, however I thought oil went milky when mixed with water !!!!!!

The positive out of all this is the poly will now be Honda powered .

Cheers Jimmy

Noelm
27-12-2007, 10:50 AM
if indeed the problem was caused by "Environmental" issues, then regardless of the brand, if he keeps on doing what he is doing, then he will have a cooked Honda as well! sand and overheat does not descriminate!! BUT I also think he MAY have been perhaps treated a tad harsh by the dealer, unless he has a fully itemised account of what was done and why! he may have of course as we are only getting a "mate told me" side of it all!

SNAPPERCOFFIN
27-12-2007, 10:57 AM
What condition was the water pump in and had the leg been taken off and the pump checked in the services?

Spaniard_King
27-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Sounds like another dealer dodging warranty:P

I would be contacting the Haines Groupe and asking for them to report on the engine!

dodgyone
27-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Damn. All I ever hear is great reports about the Suzis. Something doesnt sound right. Wonder if the response might have been a little different if a dealer had done all servicing.

MrWong
27-12-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a 115hp Suzi on a 5.3 Poly and touch wood after 300HRS she runs like new. She has seen some sand and she has had a couple of impellors however she is a beaut(TOUCH WOOD)
Allways a exception to the rule and this 140 Suzi is the first Bad word I have heard on them.

Dan5
27-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Who was the dealer GS or Frenchy?

jimbo59
27-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey don't jump on the dealer quickly the owner of the motor could be a twit,i know its only done 150 hours but he could have treated it like some blokes treat there wifes, i've seen idiots owning late model motors and treating them like crap.He could live in a place where the ramp is a piece of missing tree's and have to power thru mud to get into deeper water.The motor starved of water and probarbly just "picked up" after getting hot,his pick-up might have been fully clogged with mud and that won't send the buzzers off.It's like a car radiator if you drop all the water(hole in hose) the car won't read hot at all.

Feral
28-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Sounds like he did the right thing, get clear of that dealer if they are not going to come to the party.

Sorry but I would expect to be able to treat a motor like crap and still get much more than 150hours.

Greg P
28-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Luv a good internet diagnosis ;D;D;D

Warranty is a wonderful word and means different things to many. What exactly did the 4k buy ?

2rods
28-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Not sure what they have done to the motor for the $4000 but when I see him next I will ask.... As I said he is pedantic and as such he treats his gear with kid gloves so owner abuse is not on the cards....(he is as anal as me with stuff)

He might have had a better response if the dealer had done all of the services but as he was doing only the extra (50hrs) ones I would think they should have not made the call on that..??

I have a few mates who run the 140 suzuki's (2 on guide boats) and all of them are happy with the motors that is why I asked if anyone else has had issues.... this one seems to be a one off...well I hope so anyway..

Just seems strange that we all operate our boats up here in the same type of conditions and I don't know anyone else who has had the same problem...hell a little bit of sand gets in all motors that run in salt water.....it's not like the thing was clogged up full of the stuff.... he was told it was the only thing they could see "out of place" when they stripped it.

As there are only 2 dealers up here Dan I would rather not post who it was but PM me if you like and I will let you know... The dealer started out ok but soon got the sads and told the owner "don't talk to me...talk to Suzuki call them and complain" or similar words to that effect.

I know its hard to get the whole story when it's 3rd hand but the bloke who owns it has a computer phobia....LOL

SNAPPERCOFFIN
28-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Not sure what they have done to the motor for the $4000 but when I see him next I will ask.... As I said he is pedantic and as such he treats his gear with kid gloves so owner abuse is not on the cards....(he is as anal as me with stuff)

He might have had a better response if the dealer had done all of the services but as he was doing only the extra (50hrs) ones I would think they should have not made the call on that..??

I have a few mates who run the 140 suzuki's (2 on guide boats) and all of them are happy with the motors that is why I asked if anyone else has had issues.... this one seems to be a one off...well I hope so anyway..

Just seems strange that we all operate our boats up here in the same type of conditions and I don't know anyone else who has had the same problem...hell a little bit of sand gets in all motors that run in salt water.....it's not like the thing was clogged up full of the stuff.... he was told it was the only thing they could see "out of place" when they stripped it.

As there are only 2 dealers up here Dan I would rather not post who it was but PM me if you like and I will let you know... The dealer started out ok but soon got the sads and told the owner "don't talk to me...talk to Suzuki call them and complain" or similar words to that effect.

I know its hard to get the whole story when it's 3rd hand but the bloke who owns it has a computer phobia....LOL

So was the leg dropped and the water pump checked when serviced ???

Also don't be so quick to blame the dealer

A/ He didn't build the motor if there is a fault.
B/ Didn't service the motor and does not know the history on the motor.
C/ Any work done on the motor by the dealer must first be approved by Suzuki other wise the dealer will not get his money back for hours and parts spent on the motor.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
28-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Luv a good internet diagnosis ;D;D;D

Warranty is a wonderful word and means different things to many. What exactly did the 4k buy ?

Greg makes you wonder why $4k was handed over so quicky if he was sure he had done nothing wrong.

Spaniard_King
28-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I guess it comes down to the brand and how strong their warranty system is!

I am also a little bemused at why $4k was handed over with little fuss :P

2rods
28-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I didn't blame the dealer??? That is why I didn't post up who it was..not fair on them with only 1 side of the story.

I know how the warranty system works as I was a service manager in a large national company a few years ago... I also know that if the dealer goes into bat for the owner of the equipment it can make all the difference.

The water pump would have been checked at the 100hr service as it was done by the dealer (as far as I know).

The other point to note with the location of the boat is that it's a 300km drive to get to the nearest dealer...and 300kms home again.....so there is no way the dealer would ever know the boat and motor in question....plus the FACT that the NT has the highest number of boats per capita in Australia.....that alone would make knowing the history of a motor hard...

I am not trying to blame anyone just see if it has happened to anyone else... something just seems off to me?

The $4000 was handed over because he just wanted his boat back...he is a fisherman just like us and wanted to fish.....it had been in the yard for a long time....3months I think...while trying to sort out what happened and who was paying for it.....in the end he just said bugger it...pay the $$$ and trade it in on the honda... if it was mine I would be still there parked out the front with a sign on the boat telling all the people who would listen what happened.

suzygs1000
29-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeh,

These sorts of things can be puzzlers!

My brother-in-laws wifes hairdressers best friends husband had the exact same problem with a 135 honda, and the dealer also was unhelpful!!

Dave.

2rods
30-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeh,

These sorts of things can be puzzlers!

My brother-in-laws wifes hairdressers best friends husband had the exact same problem with a 135 honda, and the dealer also was unhelpful!!

Dave.

And with comments like that you wonder why some people post once and never come back on here:-[

I was of the misguided belief that the forum was a helpful sort of a place where you could get some info/help/advise.......

Wahoo
30-12-2007, 03:17 PM
thats about right 2Rod
i was going to put up a report about 3 ski boats head on... E tec.. Vs Verado.. Vs Suzuki and this just reminded me of all the, what ifs ...... but thats..... and so on i would have got hammered with

Cheers
Daz

mickc
31-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Daz
Thought you might like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4eiEdeJLs

Wahoo
31-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi Daz
Thought you might like this one

ROFPML, thats a corker Mick ;D;D;D

should of been a Verado thou 8-)

Daz

suzygs1000
31-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Yeh,

That probably was a bit sarcastic, but I'm afraid that if you're going to put up second had stories about a particular brand of motor being a lemon, and then not being able to answer critical questions to support your claims because you don't have first had information, then you are going to get hammered by owners of the particular brand you are slamming!!

If you don't like this, may I suggest you stick to your own experiences when it comes to knocking a particular brand of motor?

Dave.

suzygs1000
31-12-2007, 09:52 AM
that should be "second hand stories", not "second had stories".

and yes, I own a 140hp Suzuki, current model.

Dave.

dodgyone
31-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeh,

That probably was a bit sarcastic, but I'm afraid that if you're going to put up second had stories about a particular brand of motor being a lemon, and then not being able to answer critical questions to support your claims because you don't have first had information, then you are going to get hammered by owners of the particular brand you are slamming!!

If you don't like this, may I suggest you stick to your own experiences when it comes to knocking a particular brand of motor?

Dave.

I think you may have misunderstood him. He wasnt knocking Suzuki. Just asking a question that Im sure anyone would ask in the same situation.
2rods currently has 3 Suzukis in his backyard so dont think he totally dislikes them.;)

DR
31-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I think you may have misunderstood him. He wasnt knocking Suzuki. Just asking a question that Im sure anyone would ask in the same situation.
2rods currently has 3 Suzukis in his backyard so dont think he totally dislikes them.;)

i've got nothing to ad, but i have to agree, in the post i read he wasn't knocking anyone, he was asking if anyone else had similar experiences....

2rods
31-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeh,

Dave.

I don't think that the 140 suzuki is a lemon... I have a good friend who has 2 on his guide boats...and as Dodgy has pointed out I have 3 in the back yard as we speak....(50hp, 70hp and 90hp)

I am more after info on this type of problem because in all my life around boats I have never heard of such an issue...

As for being "a bit sarcastic" i can't see why you should be with the questions I asked?

I AM NOT GETTING INTO A SLANGING MATCH WITH YOU AS THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF MY POST. So if anyone has a similar issue with ANY brand of motor I would be happy to hear about it;)

gone_phishin
31-12-2007, 07:02 PM
I own a 115 hp 4 stroke Suzi and found nowhere where 2rods "slammed" Suzuki...though I reckon I'd be looking for a new dealer:(

Geoff

Noha
07-01-2008, 08:42 AM
g'day 2rods, i was talking to the guy that owns the motor last night and he reckons that the dealer and suzuki have give him the royal root around.
he has sworn off suzuki for life now. cheers aka LL

and yes i own a suzuki for those that want to know

FNQCairns
07-01-2008, 09:14 AM
g'day 2rods, i was talking to the guy that owns the motor last night and he reckons that the dealer and suzuki have give him the royal root around.
he has sworn off suzuki for life now. cheers aka LL

and yes i own a suzuki for those that want to know

Yep thats the true value of a brand, with the extreme cost today to repair even once fairly minor problems, the bar has been raised by the consumer in general although the outboard motor manufacturers/sellers have yet to notice I suspect.

When the earlier 90/115 zuks had cam problems, they were still a newcomer, should have heard the Yamaha crowd jump on them for that...times change it's just an outboatrd brand...a good one but none the less to bag a collegue in boating for posting what MAY help others is resigning all of us to the run of the mill urban traffic light pissing contest.. clones in cars..or is that sort of the other way around...I get confused to day:)

cheers fnq

finga
07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
I own a Merc. and I'm proud :D

Not as proud as the guy in the video but still proud 8-)

Thebuffalo
07-01-2008, 09:44 AM
2 Rods. You have my support mate. The questions were fair and unbiased. Bet I know the dealer. Is he at the southern end of town?

Just an point which gives me the willies (put in a word of choice). Some of you lot don't realise the isolation that some of us Ausfish members are subjected to. I live remote and for me to get a dealer here to service my engine starts at $1000 befor ethe service starts.

Most good dealers up here understand and support this problem and advise on servicing etc.

Often questions are asked just because of the remoteness, this is one of the reasons why I am on this forum, It is a wealth of information.
As for second hand information, sometimes it is and sometimes it takes a bit of time to get acurate information, so what, the point is debated and usually an outcome is reached, if your time is being wasted or you don't like the post click on the X at the top right hand of your screen.

Yes I have just woken up, and no I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet.

The honda dealer is one of the blokes who understands this by the way.