PDA

View Full Version : wires over heating .

Nico.d.R
26-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I am trying to hook up some neons (6 12v) in my boat im not sure what amps they are but i hooked up the three on one side in to 1 set (+ -) and ran it to the other side where i did the same and then ran the 2 sets of + - into a switch , the power for the switch comes of a cigerette lighter jack . when i join the power to the wires it gets really hot and pops the 20amp fuse. is the power cable to light (i think its 3.5mm/15amp) for the amps its trying to pull ? what size wire should i use to stop the problem if it is the wire size ? should i put 3 lights onto 1 switch and 3 into another .

ps. the sounder , cb , nav. lights and gps are all useing similar wire and dont heat up like that .

thanks nico

Nico.d.R
26-12-2007, 10:04 PM
here is a pic of the lights

oddbudman
26-12-2007, 10:17 PM
If your blowing 20A fuses, this means you are likely to be using more than 20A- This is a massive amount of current just to get some light happening (at 20A @ 12V = 240W).

Cigarette lighter adapters are generally rated to only around 180W maximum (or 15A @12V). Even then I would not be to comfortable pulling this much current through one of these sockets - especially in a boat environment.

Furthermore - the current rating on many simple marine switches on switch panels is likely to be only 5 or 10 Amps.

Is there a particular reason why you want to run neon lighting. If your after blue -you really should look at LEDs, as these will do the same job with a whole lot less power.

If your just looking for general illumination, look at some fluros or leds. Both are quite energy efficient.

oddbudman

Nico.d.R
26-12-2007, 10:41 PM
the only reason im useing the neons is because i have got them . they will mainly be used for floor lighting when landing fish or baiting up so i dont get blinded by the white light . So if i use them should i run each light into its own switch to stop the wire heating problems ? and how quick would it drain the battery ?

oddbudman
27-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Well to stop the wire heating problems you need to use a thicker gauge wire. You should also find out how much current your switches are rated for (as currently you are trying to switch 20A). If you go over the rated switch current you are likely to damage the switch. You can google wire gauge and their current carrying capacity to find out the most suitable gauge to use.

If your running a 50aH size cranking battery, these lights probably would drain the battery within around 2hours.

I really would suggest you try to use some other sort of lighting. Going by the picture you have shown, I am sure you could get similar amounts of illuminations with only 10 or so watts of LEDs (ie only 1A or so of load).

Personally i would not be happy running such a load of neon lighting - especially if the battery you plan on running the lights off is you engine battery.

Don't forget neon lighting is also prone to causing interference as it is a discharge lamp. This may affect your sounders performance.

oddbudman

bay_firey
27-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Oddbudman is right on trach there and i really have nothing of essence to add, except that if you are drawing that amount of current you will flatten your battery damn quick

Nico.d.R
27-12-2007, 08:30 PM
ok thanks guys i think i will look into some led's .

oldboot
27-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I second the motion that neons arent a good idea.....remember they are a high voltage device.....not good with water & aluminium.

Jaycar have some ripper led strips available in white or blue.....one of the items they have is housed in a partly flexible tube that has ends with mounting holes.

great plenty bright, some directional properties, low current drain.

cheers

Nico.d.R
28-12-2007, 08:42 AM
hey oldboot , do you know how much they are and how long ?

FNQCairns
28-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Consider red if you do decide on internal lighting, for fishing etc so not 'partyboat' stuff. The red works very well at not decreasing night vision, intensity for intensity.

cheers fnq

Nico.d.R
28-12-2007, 02:00 PM
thanks fnq , the led's should come in a few different colours shouldn't it ?

finga
28-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Try this mob for LED's.
I get a fair bit of stuff through them
http://www.besthongkong.com/index.php

TheRealAndy
28-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I dont think those 12v neons draw huge amounts of power. If you are blowing a 20A fuse then you have a short somewhere.

tigermullet
29-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I agree with Andy. Neons do not use a great deal of power and were used on our boat with success but we now prefer LEDs.

A quote from your original post, "here i did the same and then ran the 2 sets of + - into a switch"

Did you really run both sets of + and - (positive and earth) to the switch? If so, there is the problem (a short).

Nico.d.R
29-12-2007, 12:24 AM
i tried 2 neons and it seems to be ok , once i get some leds ill take the neons out .

tigermullet
29-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Even so, three neons should not draw 240 watts. There is something wrong with your wiring or the way you are hooking up the switch. The switch is to break the positive only.

I apologize if I am 'trying to teach grandma to suck eggs' but have seen this basic mistake made before.

Nico.d.R
29-12-2007, 12:48 AM
there was 6 now there is 2 the switch was ok

oldboot
29-12-2007, 04:24 PM
the ones I was thinking about are 12" long and should go somewheer between $20 & 30 each retail........I dont have a retail catalogue handy.... SL3952 for the blue and SL3950 for the white........you could check jaycars web site.

A 12" neon should only draw 250mA running ...BUT...... there will be some sort of switch mode PSU in there which will have a hefty startup inrush....1 amp peak per each would not be unreasonable...6 amps easy........ 20 amps..... hmmmmm

Hmmmm........I wouldnt be surprised but I'd be looking for other problems too.

cheers

Nico.d.R
30-12-2007, 03:51 PM
thanks mate