PDA

View Full Version : Who'd be out there in this weather?

Scalem
26-12-2007, 12:56 PM
My guess is that there are a heap of campers and fishermen sitting around the campsites right about now, keeping their drinks cold in their eskies ... which are serving no other purpose such as chilling down a catch of fish in the ice slurry.

Above all the other Christmas presents, you would think we got one more after a hard earned holiday at this time of year - Fine weather!!

Here's hoping that when we leave in a few days there won't be 25 -30 knots keeping my fishing intentions down to a minimum. To the guys on the beach trying to keep their tents intact and pegged to the ground, cooking in behind the tent or wind break so their meals don't have the added bonus of unwanted rutile and beach sand..... and the others getting impatient, all fuelled up and getting itchy feet to get out for a fish regardless...... Hang in there and don't take any risks!! I hope things improve for us all soon.

Who else is waiting for improved weather? Are you still going somewhere regardless, or is the weather going to change your plans if it doesn't improve?

Scalem

charleville
26-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I wanna know who wants to come fishin' in my tinnie out in the Bay on Sunday? ;D ;D ;D

http://img.skitch.com/20071226-pwreie7sg8kckikp6i9pk3qprk.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Night time, of course.

C'mon now. Don't be shy. I don't make offers like this very often.

;D ;D ;D

russ81
26-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Hows it going mate

My fishing opportunities are very limited as i am about to do another tour of duty overseas and i have been tempted to venture out regardless of the weather but my better judgment always gets the better of me.

Russ

Poodroo
26-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Well the sheer frustration of it all. I can 100% guarantee that our drought is going to be broken, we are going to get a cyclone, and it will probably rain for 40 days and 40 nights and anyone who can come up with an original plan to build an ark had better do so. "How do I know this?" I hear people ask? It's simple.... I purchased a brand new boat and took delivery of it last Friday. As yet it has not seen the water.:bigcry::rifle::furious:

Poodroo

PS. Happy new year everyone, stay safe.;)

Leighton
26-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Im waiting for just a little window, when I cant hear the wind I race to chech on the weather in the bay and yep its still 20 knots. I have re packed my new Tackle bag and spent all my x mas BCF vouchers and now passing time by watching the cricket

BR65
26-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I cant take it any more, tomorrow its up the back of Glasshouse for a flick, kick a few pots over the side and curse the wind all day, at least I'll be on the water
cheers
brian

tae4551
26-12-2007, 04:49 PM
yep it's a bit like that probably see a cyclone form off the coast in the next 48 hours.

jtpython
26-12-2007, 05:06 PM
There is only so many times you can unpack and repack your tackle box
There is only so many times you can pack the boat full of gear and make sure everything has a place

And there are only so many times i can stare at the weather sites on the internet trying to change the outcome of the reports with my mind
Yours in compassionate sympaty
JT:(

PinHead
26-12-2007, 05:17 PM
who cares..the boat is tied up at Couran..the beer is cold and the food at the restaurants is as good as ever..let it blow and rain..I don't care.

tigermullet
26-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, thanks a whole bunch PH. I am stuck at home doing the Christmas bit and recovering from a virus.

I'd rather be out in this weather, anchored somewhere fairly calm and doing anything rather than sit here.

Wanna swap?

Scalem
26-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I wanna know who wants to come fishin' in my tinnie out in the Bay on Sunday?

C'mon now. Don't be shy. I don't make offers like this very often.

Why not Bruce? Air sea rescue must be bored out of their brains, are you offering to give them some practice??

Well the sheer frustration of it all. I can 100% guarantee that our drought is going to be broken, we are going to get a cyclone, and it will probably rain for 40 days and 40 nights and anyone who can come up with an original plan to build an ark had better do so. "How do I know this?" I hear people ask? It's simple.... I purchased a brand new boat and took delivery of it last Friday. As yet it has not seen the water.

Poodroo

PS. Happy new year everyone, stay safe.

Who would have thought you can test the bungs and make sure they don't leak.... from the inside out!!

I cant take it any more, tomorrow its up the back of Glasshouse for a flick, kick a few pots over the side and curse the wind all day, at least I'll be on the water
cheers
brian
Good luck mate, I hope you don't get a wet bum!

yep it's a bit like that probably see a cyclone form off the coast in the next 48 hours.
Where is it supposed to be forming?? :o I better have a look at the BOM again!

There is only so many times you can unpack and repack your tackle box
There is only so many times you can pack the boat full of gear and make sure everything has a place

And there are only so many times i can stare at the weather sites on the internet trying to change the outcome of the reports with my mind
Yours in compassionate sympaty
JT
JT, LMAO. I haven't got to that stage yet, but there's only so many games of chess I can win before more boredom sets in. But it's only boxing day!! I don't like my chances before the tackle box comes out.

Thanks for the replies!

Scalem

bluefin59
26-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Looks like a window of opportunity tomorrow, i'v cleaned my tackle boxes ,put some new trebles on some lures and polished up some of my chrome slugs . The missus has been shopping so we are going to try and sneak around a bit tomorrow lots of luck guys i think weather is going to be against us for a few days yet i might have to take an extra weeks leave .....matt

2DKnBJ
26-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Given half a chance and this being my first break for 18 months i would be out somewhere down around the Pin.You can always find some shelter from the wind.
At the moment i am awaiting the arrival of my new deckie who is now 5 days overdue so i can't venture to far from home.It will be a different story once mum and bub are settled in at home and hopefully the weather will be looking a bit better.

Cheers Dazza

Leighton
26-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Its blowing 16 knots at Banana Bank ATM. Im with Bluefin, with a bit of luck a pre dawn fish may be on the cards

Chris Ryan
26-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey Dazza, my new little deckie arrives tomorrow at 6pm so I know what your thinking mate. Good luck to you & the Mrs.

Chris

Scalem
26-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Its blowing 16 knots at Banana Bank ATM. Im with Bluefin, with a bit of luck a pre dawn fish may be on the cards

I just had a look at Seabreeze too, looks possible for a morning fish ..... But with a a developing low hanging around who can really say the weather pattern is stable enough to plan a big trip? More than 15 mins from the boat ramp is past my comfort zone I am afraid, but might be worth an early flick around.

Scalem

bayfisher
26-12-2007, 07:08 PM
A quick fish in the river is looking more and more appealing

PinHead
26-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Well, thanks a whole bunch PH. I am stuck at home doing the Christmas bit and recovering from a virus.

I'd rather be out in this weather, anchored somewhere fairly calm and doing anything rather than sit here.

Wanna swap?

well mate..just strolled back from the eatery..nice steak, prawns, salad and dessert..great wine...followed by coffee and port ..weather? what weather??

tigermullet
26-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I've just dropped into 'kill' mode.;D

Oh Gee
26-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Might have to sell the tinnie and buy a sail boat. :-(

Hamish73
26-12-2007, 08:59 PM
overcast and wet --> trailbike riding
windy ---> windsurfing
Good conditions -->> fishing / snorkling

dont put all your eggs in one basket guys :)

cameron walker
26-12-2007, 09:07 PM
The surf is gonna crank yeha bring on a cyclone.Put ya boats away and crack out ya board cause this is bigger than fishin!!!!!

Lucky_Phill
26-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Just saw the issue..... Saturday.....a 998 Low just off the coast of Brisvegas. mmm things could get interesting. Last time that seriously happened was 1974.... well, the low was deeper then. But by now ya reckon the council would have sorted any flooding issues ??? ye right.

Phill

oldboot
26-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I resolved there was no point planning any fishing over the break , because regardless of the wheather there would be too many people out there terrorising the fish.

went for a wander scouting a couple of new spots.... one of the bore obscure spots....5 groups of people out land based..... none catching
boats & jet skis ripping up & down the creek.... no sun and just no visible signs of marine life activity

took advantage of k mart's 30% off rods & reels deal to pick up a rod I wanted

came home I loaded it up for a test....... choped 5 inches off the but, chucked a casting plug arround for a while

I'll have a look at BCF, it the other mart tomorrow to see if there are any deals going begging.

If the fish arent biting.... there is always casting practice.....

cheers

BrewGuru
26-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I am hating it, organized 5 mates, bait, booze and some kickarse meals on board, was gunna do a bit of trolling leaving from scarborough Friday, spend New Years anchored of Tangaloomah wrecks and watch Australia celebrate New Years Eve, now they are talking 30 - 40 knot winds coupled with 2.5 to 3metre swells, Ive never seen that on BOM ever.
I guess I'll will have to spend the New Years Eve with the wife and mother in law....Oh joy!!!!

Luc
26-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Fishing the upper reaches of the Pine Rivers is no problems despite the wind.

Can always find a sheltered bank.

Early fish Thursday morning.

Luc

major-defect
27-12-2007, 05:54 AM
That would be right my holidays start saturday.I thought we might wander up to Cooktown for a few days.The rain started yesterday and it ain't stopped yet.

MrWong
27-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Hmmm the weather gods are against us. We are off to the Keppels as of the second for a week. Surely we will get on day on the water.
Russ...... if ya cant get out come down the pine river and catcha bull shark!

Sunday may be the go... maybe ill go fish a fish in my 12 ft punt will it be Hutchies or my own back yard full of water.......
WIND WIND GO AWAY!

Bear001
27-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Oh..Poodroo.....I am hearing you.......I got a brand spanka new toy too.....very cruel, VERY VERY CRUEL!!!!!!!
:bigcry:

Yep, have tested every nook & cranny & button & gadget on the boat, filled the bait tank to see that it works, even resorted to sitting up in it while parked in the shed and having a beer (couldnt wait)

:wut:

plaztix
27-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Looks like being at work isn't such a bad thing after all. Thought i'd be in here reading countless reports and itching for a fish.

I'm feeling your pain guys, no really i am.::):P

DR
27-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Well the sheer frustration of it all. I can 100% guarantee that our drought is going to be broken, we are going to get a cyclone, and it will probably rain for 40 days and 40 nights and anyone who can come up with an original plan to build an ark had better do so. "How do I know this?" I hear people ask? It's simple.... I purchased a brand new boat and took delivery of it last Friday. As yet it has not seen the water.:bigcry::rifle::furious:

Poodroo

PS. Happy new year everyone, stay safe.;)

i hear ya poodroo, had the exact same thing when i bought my boat. get some good wet weather gear & head for the pin, you might not catch much but there is always somewhere out of the weather to have a fish & 'give the new boat a run';) you can only sit in it for so long in the driveway before the neighbours start to get scared.....

tunaticer
27-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Time to go wading behind the mangroves on the big daytime tides with a few good lures. Thats where I will be tomorrow morning for sure.

LOOK OUT Mr. Jack!! Not all that looks good is edible!

Jack.

Scalem
27-12-2007, 03:13 PM
So Poodroo's well kept secret (new 4 mtr bluefin) until Yesterday made its maiden voyage into the bay for a quick flick around with plastics. It turned out to be reasonable conditions where the forcast was fairly accurate. But we were missing the fishermans' alminac which would have told us there were very few fish wanting to play ball in the southern parts.

Oh well, the new 40HP merc sang a nice tune, thanks for the outing poodroo! We were sick of talking about getting her wet, and the little cod I caught was the 1st legal fish to hit the carpeted floor. Only one or two other boats out.

Scalem

Leighton
27-12-2007, 03:19 PM
What part were you fishing Scalem?

bluefin59
27-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Congrats on the maiden journey poodaroo ,we ended up going out for a run caught a couple of smaller snaps at least the missus got to blood her new outfit so the plan came together ,turned out the weather was not so bad ....matt

Scalem
27-12-2007, 06:24 PM
What part were you fishing Scalem?

Started East side of Green for Zip, so headed to Wello for very little except the Cod.

Nothing to do with Poodroos new sounder, I think it worked fine but there was nothing showing. Once or twice the fish alarm went off, but that was it:(

Scalem

Poodroo
27-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for christening the boat with at least one keeper Scalem and letting me take it home for dinner. I did manage a squire which bordered on being legal which of course went back to its home to do some more growing. A day in the bay is not complete of course without at least catching a grinner but apart from that it was just a day to test out the new boat. Once it is run in I think it is going to purr along nicely. A few more things to be done to it but she went exceptionally well.
Scalem the trailer skid is better adjusted and the bearing buddies are now on. ;)

Congrats on the maiden journey poodaroo ....matt

Thanks Matt. :)

Poodroo

T1
27-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes, it is looking a bit lean over the next week or so! All it means is that we will have to head south and fish some old spots in a well known estuary on the border! Gee TINN, you're plan and promises better come off or you'll be testing your swurfing skills in some high seas at the mouth...;)

Good luck to anyone that get outs and actually does well! Congrats POO on the new loo too!

Take Care & Merry New Year to you all!!!
T

finga
28-12-2007, 06:08 PM
What a bunch of nancy's.

The cook and I have just returned from a few great days of fishing.
The boat went in the water at least 2 times a day.
The afternoon session of the 2nd day was a bit hairy. We watched a boat sink and had to rescue the drunken bums and then a boat tried to go over us but other then that what a pearler of a trip:D
The boat ramps were empty, the launches and retrieves easy as pie and pretty well everything was as dunky dory as you could get.
Only slight hindrance was the cook getting crook yesterday (I had to wash the boat and clean the fish, cook tea and then catch some more bait for the next day :() and an odd shower going through in the mornings.

The report will be done tomorrow for all to see.

PS we were down at Evans Head. Does that make a difference?? ::)

I've put in a picture of the bar now.
Not too bad going out at low tide and a samll chop once out

mik01
28-12-2007, 07:29 PM
looking forward to you report, Scott!! ;)

the eastern world might be in the grip of a cyclone, but you found the calm eye of the storm perhaps? ;D

TheRealAndy
28-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I just got marching orders from ranger at fraser. They closed central station and apparently they are ordering everyone of the beaches. Last I heard on the ABC is that they wanted everyone off the island by the end of tomorrow (sat). IT was pretty bad when I was leaving, so I hope it does not get any worse or I reckon they will be a few people hanging out at kingfisher bay for the next few days.

I did not get a single chance to get a line wet :(

Scalem
29-12-2007, 02:55 AM
I just got marching orders from ranger at fraser. They closed central station and apparently they are ordering everyone of the beaches. Last I heard on the ABC is that they wanted everyone off the island by the end of tomorrow (sat). IT was pretty bad when I was leaving, so I hope it does not get any worse or I reckon they will be a few people hanging out at kingfisher bay for the next few days.

I did not get a single chance to get a line wet :(
That's a crying shame for many holiday makers on Fraser, I can really empathize with all of you who were told to evacuate. But what's the real deal? The radar shows the whole system is moving SE and the rain seems to have moved offshore. Still blowing a gale however.

Sorry to see your stay cut short.

Scalem

charleville
29-12-2007, 03:32 AM
They closed central station

Why would they close Central Station? It is nowhere near the beach. :-/

theoldlegend
29-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Charlie,

It seems to me that you've really got to get your boat over to Mud and real quick! :o

Recently you revealed you have this fetish for light bulbs and now it looks like you're a train spotter.

You could always come and give me a hand to paint the softball hall at Ormiston, you know.

TOL

PinHead
29-12-2007, 07:41 AM
today could be a good day to test the new boat in a bit of choppy stuff

Poodroo
29-12-2007, 08:31 AM
today could be a good day to test the new boat in a bit of choppy stuff

Let us know how you go Greg. If I don't see the report here I will keep an eye out for you on the channel 7 news tonight.;)

Poodroo

Mr__Bean
29-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Looks like the Mooloolaba Waverider Buoy is getting tossed around a bit, maximum wave heights at around 5.30 this morning were just short of 8 metres.

See here for current details:
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/waves/site_param.cgi?siteid=4&paramid=1&var=6

- Darren

TheRealAndy
29-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Why would they close Central Station? It is nowhere near the beach. :-/

When there is 30knots blowing through 50odd meter trees you can understand why :)

A tree actually fell on the track to eurong and it took them about 4 hours to clear it

Mrs Ronnie H
29-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi All

Well some of us with a little sense will stay off the water but you can back it in we will hear on the news of someone coming to grief????
There are always that small percentage that take chances and think she'll be right mate..

Troppo Season for sure..

Ronnie

manchild
29-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi All

Well some of us with a little sense will stay off the water but you can back it in we will hear on the news of someone coming to grief????
There are always that small percentage that take chances and think she'll be right mate..

Troppo Season for sure..

Ronnie
Or some of us maybe know they local waters well enough to be able to fish in this conditions.

Flattie Assassin
29-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Gawd, if your out fishing in this, your a ######## pure and simple. ;)

manchild
29-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Whatever,sorry to have a different opinion mate.I subdue to yours in a future and follow your instructions.

BilgeBoy
29-12-2007, 06:46 PM
2 weeks....that's 14 days...and it's blowin it's backside off for all of them.

What is it....has my wife had a chat with the big fella. Have they made a little deal between them. Talk about frustrating!!!! I can just picture trying to get the boat on the trailer at the Vicky point boat ramp...especially the northern side...off that!!

Congrats on the Poo 2 Drew...that should up your range a little. Good luck with the new boat mate.

Hey Pinhead...Enjoy ya stay at Couran Cove mate, that place is brilliant! Hire a bike and go for a ride through to the surf side....could be nice weather for some surf fishing Lol.

The reports I am reading are saying the low is moving North West...so it looks like the further South you head the better it will be.

Oh well...better go back to Monopoly with the kids.

Someone kill me!!!

BilgeBoy

russ81
29-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm glad the missus got me the rapala pro tournament fishing game on the Nintendo its holding me over until the weather comes good

PinHead
29-12-2007, 08:32 PM
2 weeks....that's 14 days...and it's blowin it's backside off for all of them.

What is it....has my wife had a chat with the big fella. Have they made a little deal between them. Talk about frustrating!!!! I can just picture trying to get the boat on the trailer at the Vicky point boat ramp...especially the northern side...off that!!

Congrats on the Poo 2 Drew...that should up your range a little. Good luck with the new boat mate.

Hey Pinhead...Enjoy ya stay at Couran Cove mate, that place is brilliant! Hire a bike and go for a ride through to the surf side....could be nice weather for some surf fishing Lol.

The reports I am reading are saying the low is moving North West...so it looks like the further South you head the better it will be.

Oh well...better go back to Monopoly with the kids.

Someone kill me!!!

BilgeBoy

It was great..3rd Xmas Day lunch at the Surf Club retaurant..superb as always...spent a week there..plus the 2 in June..plus at least one weekend a month..yep..love the place.

Scalem
30-12-2007, 06:42 AM
The last few days I've been trying to understand exactly where this low has been sitting off our coast. By watching the BOM all I have managed to see is a solid cloud mass most of the way down the eastern side of Australia. I'm sure most of you know how to look it up, but this morning the satelite image could not be clearer. Now I can see the buggar stuffing up our holidays!!!>:(

Scalem

PinHead
30-12-2007, 10:47 AM
decided to go to Morgans this morning..took a couple of pics of the Bay...

Poodroo
30-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Took my boat to Bribie this weekend to try Bulimbah Creek out of the wind. We succeeded in finding some sheltered spots but the fish were busy seeking shelter too. Didn't boat a thing but the new boat sure went well. Whilst traveling back to Bribie over the Bribie Passage bridge there was at least a 1 metre + swell and lots of whitecaps in the passage. Was amazing to see really. Not a boat to be seen motoring in the passage anywhere.

Poodroo

Scalem
02-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Can't beleive it!!!>:( The weather predictions are that the low which has been blowing for a good week now is turning around and headed back south, and because of a tight pressure gradient with a high in the Tasman, wind strength will increase oncemore. At least thats what all the weather channels are saying, but the ever reliable seabreeze says otherwise. What gives???

Scalem

Chris Ryan
03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I dunno Brian but I am putting the new GPS and sounder in the boat today (with some other little mods). Will run the simulate modes to get used to them and first look on Sat/Sun when the wind is down I am GOOOOOOONE. It has been 4.5 months since I have been on the water and I can't take it anymore. I don't care if I catch anything other than a cold.

Chris