PDA

View Full Version : Hard to Start Merc 85HP 2 Stroke

PeterInSA
24-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Have not started my 85Hp Merc for 6 weeks and either I flooded it, or the fuel in the carbie was to old. I hit the starter motor with/without choke with/without accelerator on full bore to no avail, a number of times for up to a minute. My small backup Merc with pull start, started first pull.

Question 1 Can I start the 85 in the garage without the rabbit ears and water running thru the motor and let the 85 run for say 2 minutes every three weeks, without heating up the motor and damaging the cylinders/rings?

Question 2 Can I take off the cover off the motor and use one of those easy start sprays that auto mechanics use to start the merc? I heard that the initial detonation when using these sprays can sometimes damage the crankshaft of a car engine.

Thanks
Peter

Blackened
24-12-2007, 05:17 PM
G'day

You MUST start the outboard with cooling every time, as a dry impeller will perish prematurely, not to mention internal damage

Start ya bastard and the like are good and is really a last resort, but try starting the outboard with FRESH fuel first.

Dave

bluefin59
24-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Answer to question 1; i would never ever run the motor without water weather with ear muffs or a tank set up , not only will you wreck the impeller but you will do damage to the actual motor they need cooling ..

Answer to question 2 ; if you need to start it with aerostart or a similar product i would get the problem looked at iam sure someone more qualified than me will tell you why but when i worked in the mines in W.A we some times resorted to that method but they use to rattle like a good thing until it cleared , the detonation of these products is fairly high and you may find massive damage happening with the use of these products on a outboard . i am sure others will agree ,i would suggest you find out why it wont start in the normal way ....matt

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

BM
24-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Never, never, never, never ( I hope thats clear) run an outboard without water...

Alcohol based start up sprays rob your engine of lubrication. Use them at your peril..

Cheers