PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Anti-fouling new cruiser.

Gerkin Head
24-12-2007, 02:05 PM
G'day. New boatie here. Have a new 21ft fibreglass cruiser which I currently keep on Trailer. Was thinking of Berthing it but was then advised that I would need to anti-foul it etc. It has a nice shiny white hull at present and I would prefer to keep it that way.... How essential is it to anti-foul a boat when berthing ?? And if I were not to anti-foul it, how often would I need to get her out of the water to wash ??? Would appreciate any advice on this one...

Thanks

bohans
24-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Mate if you are berthing it you must have it anti fouled. There is not an option not to. After one week in the water without anti foul you will be needing to slip it and scrap the beginings of barnacles of it. If it is left without anti foul for a few weeks, you will have solid barnacles and there is every chance that when you do slip it to scrap them off, they will affect the gel coat. Scrapping a hull is one of the worst jobs that can be done on a boat. So in short, either leave it on the trailer or anti foul it. Simple.:D

Brumby
24-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi

There are a couple of ways of getting around antifouling, either a seapen which is a waterproof bag that you float the boat into and then pump all the seawater out, or else a boat lift, which lifts the hull and legs out of the water. Only problem then is that you're tied to one base, because it doesn't take long for the growth to start, eg you go elsewhere for a week or two.

Not sure where you are based, but dry storage at a marina is another option which works for a lot of people.

Bottom line though, I don't think it's practical to leave a boat actually in the water and not antifoul.

Cheers

Blackened
24-12-2007, 03:23 PM
G'day

You have a few options....

If you need to leave it in the water, It MUST be antifouled, and that will need to be slipped around every 12mths.

If you do have this done, don't expect the antifoul to be removed any time soon, let alone ever without a sand back and 2pac paint job,

Other option is to get a sea pen or an air birth like all ready mentioned, with the air birth there are a few varieties, so weigh up your options.

My preferred variety is the style that is similar to a big puzzle, you add sections to the size you'd want it, and the whole lot can be submerged and raised allowing you to drive your boat on and off at will, keeping the hull and engine free from the water.

Remember if you were going to moor a boat, expect maintenance and degradation to skyrocket.

Honestly, save yourself the hassle and keep it on the trailer if thats not much of an issue.

Failing that, look closely at an air birth

Dave

Gerkin Head
24-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Folks,
Thanks very much for your advice. I guess now I need to start looking for a decent boat cover. Can't leave it in the garage anymore as hail storm recently hammered both my cars. I'm hoping the boat is more resistant to hail than what the cars are. If you can recommend the best cover option, I could do with the advice.

Thanks again..

Blackened
24-12-2007, 03:52 PM
G'day

Best cover is a custom made one that will repel moisture and breathe.

Best off to chat to a reputable upholsterer in your area, and see what they suggest

Dave