PDA

View Full Version : help with a debate

rando
23-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I am trying to influence the thinking of a mate who is heavily influenced by the labour party.
Can someone please point me to the author/s of the EPA report to government,and the peer reviews of the said report.

This bloke will talk me in circles unless he sees it in black and white.

Any other credible material debunking the "science" that the EPA & AMCS have based there argument on would be a help.

I know its somewhere here on the boards but I am hopeless at searches on AF , never had a success yet.:(

2DKnBJ
23-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey Rando
Lucky Phill should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers Dazza

Lucky_Phill
24-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Rando, there many types of information available.

The 2006 DPI&F Status Report is 331 pages long and can be downloaded from their website.. bit of a read hey ?

I will find some consise information for you and email it.

pm me your email address.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
24-12-2007, 06:06 AM
a snippet.

Queensland fisheries annual status reports 2006

This 331 page report was produced by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

Coral Reef Finfish Fishery:-

Page 160…… Fishery impacts on the ecosystem

“ Line fisheries are considered benign in terms of their impacts on the broader ecosystem. “

East Coast Inshore Finfish Fishery:-

Page 75…….. Appraisal of fishery in regard to sustainability

“ The ECIFF is managed using a variety of input and output controls ( eg. Limited licences, gear restrictions, permanent and seasonal closures, size and bag limits and competitive Total Allowable Catches for some species ) and is regarded as being managed in a precautionary and sustainable manner. “

Rocky Reef Finfish Fishery:-

Page 118 ……. Fishery impacts on the ecosystem

“ It is unlikely that there is any significant physical impact on the ecosystem from the fishery due to the relative benign line fishing method used . “

Page 115 …… Fishery Performance

“ This is further supported by commercial logbook data, fisheries observer information and anecdotal reports from recreational fishers over the last 12 months indicating good catches have been occurring with an increased occurrence of larger individuals. “ ( this was in regard to Snapper )

Lucky_Phill
24-12-2007, 06:18 AM
here is a link to the Grey Nurse Issue.

A simple read that illustrates that recreational fishing has NO impact on Grey nurse numbers. IN fact it could be read that Grey Nurses are going through an evolution process....

The EPA recognise the ICUN as the leading source of information and catagorisation for Threatened Species. The EPA have also NOT taken on board their assessment.... therefore going against it's own policy. Long live preference votes !!!!!!!

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/3854/summ

Phill

Lucky_Phill
24-12-2007, 06:25 AM
Further, after reading the EPA's own Advisory panel list, their was an obvious ommission. Dr Bill Dennison from the USA. He was commissioned by the EPA to report on Moreton bay.

Why did they leave he and his report out ? Because it DID NOT mention any adverse effects from fishing..... nice half truths EPA.

link to report below
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/about_the_epa/public_reporting/epa_bulletin/epa_bulletin_archives/issue_42_august_2007/marine_expert/

rando
24-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Cheers Phil
Thanks for the leads, thats what I was after
Happy Christmas
Rob