PDA

View Full Version : Electric winch

Ram-rod
22-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi all
I would like to purchase an electric winch for my rig (quintrex 5.4 spirit). Could anyone tell me can I just use clamps and run directly off the battery in the latest commodore because as you know it is located very conveniently in the boot. just wanted to know if it would upset the electronics of the vehicle..
Ram-rod :) :D

datamile
22-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Aldi are doing a electric winch from 27th

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_4031.htm

Portable and convenient power for pulling boats
2000lbs (900kgs) of pulling power
Suitable for boats up to 5.5m in length

Camo
23-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi Ram-Rod I have run my winch directly off my battery in the Crewman ute, just make sure that you have an inline circuit breaker somewhere on the lead in case it draws too much current. The model winch that datamile shown has a circuit breaker built in. I think most winches come with one nowadays.

I didn't know that the new commode had a battery in the boot. I can see some problems with that, e.g. electrical fires, and because it's in the boot and not in the engine bay no fire wall to contain or retard the fire, and no airflow to cool it. Gasses leaking from it and coming into the cabin. I guess Holden engineers would have thought about that, it just sounds strange.

Ram-rod
23-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Aldi are doing a electric winch from 27th

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_4031.htm

Portable and convenient power for pulling boats
2000lbs (900kgs) of pulling power
Suitable for boats up to 5.5m in length
Thanks datamile that is the winch i was considering and if the missud can survive the Aldi war zone on thursday i will pick one up.
Camo it is strange to see a modern car with a battery in the boot, not seen it for years. It has live posts in the engine bay for jump starting and such but the unit in the booot.
anyway it seems that it should not be a problem but will check with holden just to be sure..
thanks all:D

oldboot
24-12-2007, 12:01 AM
You would be best to extend a set of terminals out using anderson plugs or similar......these winches draw a fair chunk of current and jumper clips are known for their unreliable contact.

an anderson plug near the tow bar would be very convienient and better all round....if the battery is in the boot the installation shouldt be a drama.

As to battery in the boot.........I would expect it will iether be a sealed battery or will have some for of venting to the outside.

Battery in the boot has been a pretty stock performance mod for decades.......it allows more room under bonet and better weight distribution.......moving 20plus KG from the front to the back is quite significant.

Lots of cars you had to move the battery if you wanted to fit side draft webbers.

GM are probly doing it because its getting crowded under the bonnet.

cheers

Ram-rod
24-12-2007, 02:42 PM
You would be best to extend a set of terminals out using anderson plugs or similar......these winches draw a fair chunk of current and jumper clips are known for their unreliable contact.

an anderson plug near the tow bar would be very convienient and better all round....if the battery is in the boot the installation shouldt be a drama.

As to battery in the boot.........I would expect it will iether be a sealed battery or will have some for of venting to the outside.

Battery in the boot has been a pretty stock performance mod for decades.......it allows more room under bonet and better weight distribution.......moving 20plus KG from the front to the back is quite significant.

Lots of cars you had to move the battery if you wanted to fit side draft webbers.

GM are probly doing it because its getting crowded under the bonnet.

cheers

Thanks Oldboot, you are a fountain of information and i will look into fitting that plug. Have to be a little careful though because it is a company car, but will apply for it. thanks heaps and merry Christmas
:)